Player Discussion Brock Boeser - Brock Around the Clock

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
The NHL needs to change its rules and allow teams to cut players who don't perform up to their contract. And by cut, I mean like a buyout but it doesn't affect the cap. It still punishes the team for signing the contract as they still need to pay it but the fans don't need to suffer.

I'd be in favour of a 100% salary payout with no cap repercussions. The NHLPA ought to be okay with that -- a player gets all the money they signed for, plus they become a UFA. I'm not seeing a downside here.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'd be in favour of a 100% salary payout with no cap repercussions. The NHLPA ought to be okay with that -- a player gets all the money they signed for, plus they become a UFA. I'm not seeing a downside here.
Just a way to circumvent the cap.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The NHL needs to change its rules and allow teams to cut players who don't perform up to their contract. And by cut, I mean like a buyout but it doesn't affect the cap. It still punishes the team for signing the contract as they still need to pay it but the fans don't need to suffer.

Don't sign bad contracts is the real solution.

Did not take a genius to tell you that this would be a horrible signing.

That benefits big market teams in a big way.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It sucks when it happens to us, but in principle I want to see bad management punished.

If teams can just get out of bad contracts because they have money it takes us right back to the NHL of the 1990s where NYR and Detroit could just spend like drunken sailors and Canadian teams weren't on an even playing field.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Just a way to circumvent the cap.

Don't sign bad contracts is the real solution.

Did not take a genius to tell you that this would be a horrible signing.

That benefits big market teams in a big way.

It sucks when it happens to us, but in principle I want to see bad management punished.

If teams can just get out of bad contracts because they have money it takes us right back to the NHL of the 1990s where NYR and Detroit could just spend like drunken sailors and Canadian teams weren't on an even playing field.

Okay then, how about the cap implications remain but the player gets 100% of their salary?

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
This is also how he looked all of last year, outside of a brief blip right after Boudreau was hired.
Boeser still got 20+ goals last year, and Petey also looked like crap for more than half the year.

His wrist/hand problems are concerning, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
So. What is the buyout for?

You get a contract slot back..?
My pro-union bias is showing through here, but my focus is on not making the employee suffer financially because of the stupidity of management.

If y'all want to have management suffer from the folly of their decisions cap-wise without players suffering, I'm all in favour of that.

I guess I don't understand why players should have to pay the price for the incompetence of management.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Boeser still got 20+ goals last year, and Petey also looked like crap for more than half the year.

His wrist/hand problems are concerning, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

He was chained to JT Miller all year and got a pile of PP points and 2nd assists.

His primary ES production was ghastly given his minutes/role/linemates.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Demko as well?
7W5u.gif

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They all count.

I mean, sure.

But hopefully we aren't just counting stats on the back of a hockey card and can understand that getting 46 points from a 3rd line with no PP time is outstanding and getting 46 points from 18-20 minutes of top-line/#1 PP time chained to a 99-point C is kind of bad.

Brock Boeser is getting paid to be a play driver. You can sign a $3 million UFA if you want a passive complementary scorer who can leach OK hockey card stats off good players.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
good for him to get some confidence and points.

He had some entries and was attacking the net.

Still freezes like a deer in headlights when the defenseman passes the puck to him on breakouts and it is a very serious problem.
2 of LA’s best scoring chances were his turnovers after he froze while taking a breakout pass.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Get that plus minus down and that stat line ajnt looking to ugly maybe pot a couple more goals too.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I've been holding off with making too much of his play yet. He's struggled with the pace at times in the past but he's always reminded me of TJ Oshie and what he was ultimately capable of. The Boeser of 20/21 was a really good scoring forward even with some of his flaws and I'm rooting for him to get back to health physical and mental and see what his ceiling is because it's had to be a struggle with all the things working against him recently.

I liked the gamble with Brock. It would have been selling at the absolute bottom of winger values the last couple Covid flat cap years. As we come out of it teams will start scouring for goals again with some extra cap space and Brock with health may regain a half step and improve his defensive play enough to become a valuable asset.

He's certainly with Myers Pearson and Garland the most likely to get moved to gain space though so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Nice to see him happy and scoring goals again

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
My pro-union bias is showing through here, but my focus is on not making the employee suffer financially because of the stupidity of management.

If y'all want to have management suffer from the folly of their decisions cap-wise without players suffering, I'm all in favour of that.

I guess I don't understand why players should have to pay the price for the incompetence of management.

Why do the players get off without any accountability?

Whenever buyouts happen there's probably blame on both sides, management for signing the contract but also the player for not performing up to expectations. They both should suffer and under the current rules they both do, it incentivizes management to be responsible with their signings but also the players for not slacking off for fear of losing a good chunk of the money if they don't hold up their end of the bargain.

Reactions: NotSNFan

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

The problem is that it’s not management/owners that bear the financial consequences of management incompetence, it’s the other players due to the escrow system.

Even if management had to pay the full salary for a bought out player so that player is kept whole, as long as that salary counts toward the player’s share of HRR, it is just money coming out of other players’ pockets.

The system would need to fundamentally change before anything like that could work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad