Player Discussion Brock Boeser - Brock Around the Clock

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The sad reality is that the league is trending away from wingers like Boeser and Pearson.....because they just can't get there. The league is getting quicker every year, and the time that Boeser had to get his shot off earlier in his career, is now being taken away from him.

The way the game is being played now, the notion that Boeser could become a 30-goal scorer was just wishful thinking. Unfortunately now his trading value is so depressed, that the best you could probably get is mid-range pick, particularly given the term left on his contract.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The sad reality is that the league is trending away from wingers like Boeser and Pearson.....because they just can't get there. The league is getting quicker every year, and the time that Boeser had to get his shot off earlier in his career, is now being taken away from him.

The way the game is being played now, the notion that Boeser could become a 30-goal scorer was just wishful thinking. Unfortunately now his trading value is so depressed, that the best you could probably get is mid-range pick, particularly given the term left on his contract.

I have not seen him attempting to get shots off this year. Whether or not he has time and space has not really even been a factor there, yet.

His issue is not staying healthy. And that seems to continue to this year. Unless we are for some reason thinking his hand surgery and him missing training camp and preseason are just not a factor to his bad start?

Also playing with Horvat who just cannot make a pass in the offensive zone and Miller who this year cant do anything, probably are not helping.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
That Toronto game was one of the worst underlying performances by a forward this year.

He is in the bottom percentile of all players in transition.

He provides zero impact to a team. None

His PP effectiveness could easily be replaced.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
That Toronto game was one of the worst underlying performances by a forward this year.

He is in the bottom percentile of all players in transition.

He provides zero impact to a team. None

His PP effectiveness could easily be replaced.
He looks so out of place against fast/structured teams, it's hard to even imagine him being the same guy we saw as a rookie.

Just sad to witness.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He looks so out place against fast/structured teams, it's hard to even imagine him being the same guy we saw as a rookie.

Just sad to witness.

Yeah I mean they talked about it at the intermission of last nights game.

The extended look at that skinner goal I believe it was that they showed
He looked like he didn’t even know what planet he was on.

Reactions: B-rock

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

never seen a chart that so accurately reflects a player’s contribution

drance, punch, and vanilla seeing this 🫠

Its Puck!

Yeah. Boeser has been really inefficient. Im prepared to eat crow if he doesn't regain form at some point.

In his defence, there is 1 center on this team where you get a positive xG and he has played 1 game with said C and he has played with the worst one for most of the year.

Reactions: mathonwy

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The trouble with Boeser is that if he isn't scoring, he's almost a complete liability in other areas. He's not very physical along the wall, and has real trouble winning puck battles in his own zone. And he isn't generating enough speed through the neutral zone to threaten any d-man.

He used to be a fixture on the PP....but he's been supplanted by Miller, Horvat, Kuzmenko and even Mikheyev. He's primarily a one-trick pony, but he simply isn't finding the time and space to get his shot off.

Unfortunately if the Canucks trade him now, they'd be doing so at the bottom of the market. Should have put him on the market before he signed his recent extension.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Unfortunately if the Canucks trade him now, they'd be doing so at the bottom of the market. Should have put him on the market before he signed his recent extension.
if they can get out of him for a lesser liability they should do it. i don't really care that he was probably capable of garnering a 2nd eight months ago. things change. he's back from injury into a fresh mindset season where he proclaims that he's scoring 30 goals and yet he's literally played worse than linus karlsson this year... and now he's got term

i guarantee you they could have done a trade like boeser for jason zucker + an asset (maybe marino) a while ago.

zucker was seen as an instant dump from the pens perspective a bit ago, while boeser still had perceived positive value ~8 months ago. like probably worth a 2nd.

i would bet you they probably had discussions involving garland/boeser to pittsburgh for marino or something and they just never pushed the envelope enough and now we're here

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
"Defense is for p***yes" ~ Andrei Kuzmenko

"Secondary assists, not dogs, are a man's best friend," ~ Brock Boeser

@Kuzmenko - "I couldn't have said it better brotha!" ~ JT Miller

:::Connor Garland has entered the chat::::

@Boeser - My pony also only has one trick unfortunately

never seen a chart that so accurately reflects a player’s contribution

drance, punch, and vanilla seeing this 🫠

I like Kuzmenko but that chart seems to be overrating his defensive game.........unless I'm missing something?

Reactions: Flik

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The trouble with Boeser is that if he isn't scoring, he's almost a complete liability in other areas. He's not very physical along the wall, and has real trouble winning puck battles in his own zone. And he isn't generating enough speed through the neutral zone to threaten any d-man.

He used to be a fixture on the PP....but he's been supplanted by Miller, Horvat, Kuzmenko and even Mikheyev. He's primarily a one-trick pony, but he simply isn't finding the time and space to get his shot off.

This year yeah. I would agree.

Through out his career no.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I don't know if it was the back injury, but his skating has gotten so bad that he is useless now. He can't defend because he can't get there in time, and he can't score because he doesn't have enough time to get his shot off, and on top of that, his wrist is finished and can't shoot it anything like what he used to. He has 9 points in 11 games, and is a -9. Guy is a liability that skates in slow motion, I don't know how any professional scout could watch him play and think he could actually help their team. Our 4th liners are more impactful.

Reactions: rotiman187

Huhu

Nov 28, 2021
If we trade him, his new team will just discover that he has been playing with a fractured vertebra and broken foot or something.

Reactions: Raistlin

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Canadian division Boeser could skate, check, pass, defend, score, he was all around great. That was little more than 1 year ago he finished that season. I was sure he'd be back to form again.... damn

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Canadian division Boeser could skate, check, pass, defend, score, he was all around great. That was little more than 1 year ago he finished that season. I was sure he'd be back to form again.... damn

It is his mobility he just can't move. He reaches for pucks instead of moving to them, he just can't get places to make a play.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It is his mobility he just can't move. He reaches for pucks instead of moving to them, he just can't get places to make a play.

Whatever injury he had that effected his lower body mobility in 2018/2019 was reaggravated in 2021 and has gotten progressively worse.

Not only can he not move. His wrist/hand is permanently seized. There's been numerous sightings of a heavily taped up wrist over the past few years and apparently the guy had his wrist heavily taped up in Toronto. It hasn't gotten better.

He will get by on getting secondary points but the reality is this that this might be his last contract before he's done in the NHL.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Whatever injury he had that effected his lower body mobility in 2018/2019 was reaggravated in 2021 and has gotten progressively worse.

Not only can he not move. His wrist/hand is permanently seized. There's been numerous sightings of a heavily taped up wrist over the past few years and apparently the guy had his wrist heavily taped up in Toronto. It hasn't gotten better.

He will get by on getting secondary points but the reality is this that this might be his last contract before he's done in the NHL.

His wrist is for sure hurt, but he still has his shot. That one he rang of the post was classic boseser. He just can't get anywhere for him to use it.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Boeser's contract is looking like a really bad gamble at this point.

A team that is already cap-strapped simply can't afford to pay $6.7M to a winger who puts up zero goals in eleven games. You need guaranteed production for that sort of contract.

Management should have taken the long view and declined to make a QO to Boeser. You just can't commit that kind of money to the least valued position in the NHL unless you're rock-solid certain you're going to get the offensive production to justify the $.

I realize he's had to deal with some awful shit recently, but BB will have earned about $40M by the time he's 28. Hell, he will earn more in a single year of his current contract than the average person will earn in a lifetime of working. It would be a mistake on the part of the Canucks if sympathy played a role in the money offered.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's not just one thing.

His skating is brutal. It was never good, but after his groin problems early last year it's fallen off a cliff.

But his compete level is also poor and it exacerbates his skating problems. Doesn't move his feet. Doesn't bust his ass to get to pucks. Doesn't work hard on either the forecheck or backcheck.

And the one skill that got him to the NHL - his elite shot/release - has dwindled down to ordinary after so many wrist issues.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
His wrist is for sure hurt, but he still has his shot. That one he rang of the post was classic boseser. He just can't get anywhere for him to use it.
He does not have a step to give and I'm sure everyone here knows he was unable to sweat after his surgery during preseason.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
The NHL needs to change its rules and allow teams to cut players who don't perform up to their contract. And by cut, I mean like a buyout but it doesn't affect the cap. It still punishes the team for signing the contract as they still need to pay it but the fans don't need to suffer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad