Player Discussion Brock Boeser - Brock Around the Clock

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Not that I have any interest whatsoever in trading him, but I wonder what his current trade value would be?

1 year left on his contract at $6.65M. About to turn 27. On pace for 40+ goals and 80+ pts. All-Star nod.

1st and a solid prospect?

What an incredible rehabilitation of his value in just 6 months.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He is a one dimensional complimentary player.

What he is doing does not require a high hockey IQ, just a quick release or standing up around the net and putting in the garbage goals.

Who knew that Burrows would be a 30 goal scorer, Suter is filling the net way above his average, Blueger just got a hatty didn't he?

Maybe Podkolzin breaks out, or one of the other AHL players. Maybe even Kuzmenko does start potting them again.

Ya the room. It seems they are together and gaining chemistry.
Is there a scenario where parachuting in a "saviour" and moving out a team mate makes thing better?

So much has gone into making this season special or surprising.
Super high shooting percentages, save percentages, getting team as just the right time, their down time, incredibly lucky with minimum major injuries, everything makes it almost too good to be real.

Still move Boeser ASAP and get that cap space for a more dynamic player. 7 million will still get a decent player, (Hughes/Pettersson).

I think you are really underrating the ability to do what Boeser does and Burrows also had fantastic IQ. Suter had the hat trick but since he’s been in a bigger role he’s also shown that he can’t finish as well in a number of chances. Blueger has 5 goals.

Sure Boeser is a complementary player, but when those players can score at a 50 goal clip through 49 games, they’re pretty important. And who is going to fill that role for that price tag while being more dynamic that isn’t going to cost assets the team isn’t going to want to give up?

Reactions: theguardianII

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
He is a one dimensional complimentary player.

What he is doing does not require a high hockey IQ, just a quick release or standing up around the net and putting in the garbage goals.

Who knew that Burrows would be a 30 goal scorer, Suter is filling the net way above his average, Blueger just got a hatty didn't he?

Maybe Podkolzin breaks out, or one of the other AHL players. Maybe even Kuzmenko does start potting them again.

Ya the room. It seems they are together and gaining chemistry.
Is there a scenario where parachuting in a "saviour" and moving out a team mate makes thing better?

So much has gone into making this season special or surprising.
Super high shooting percentages, save percentages, getting team as just the right time, their down time, incredibly lucky with minimum major injuries, everything makes it almost too good to be real.

Still move Boeser ASAP and get that cap space for a more dynamic player. 7 million will still get a decent player, (Hughes/Pettersson).
This is a crazy take. If anything, it would be more reasonable to argue that the ONLY thing Boeser does consistently well is have high hockey IQ in the offensive zone (even in the years where he's played like an awful liability), and that that IS his one dimension that he relies on. His release has not been the most impressive this year.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His 5-on-5 play has been lagging for quite a while now (3 ESG in his last 19 games) but every time I'm about to say something about it he has a brief blip for a game or two - like the couple games after the 649 line were put together, or the hat trick vs. Columbus.

When the pace goes up against good teams he's getting left behind and he's the one player I'm concerned about in the playoffs as this is exactly what happened in 2020, too.

Reactions: God

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
He's still making plays, getting chances, and been good along the walls and away from the puck. Miller's cooled off a bit, too. They'll start going in again.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
he is what he is, a streaky scorer

there will be times where he’s scoring in bunches and there will be times where you’re not sure he was even in the game

but at least now more than 50% of the time if he’s not scoring he’s at least doing decent work along the boards and sometimes even on the forecheck. before if he wasn’t scoring he was hurting you, or often even when he was scoring.

in the playoffs that’s a guy who can alternately sleepwalk through a whole series or blow a tight one completely open for you with a few timely goals. you can’t count on him to consistently move the needle and yes a luxury piece not a core piece but you’d rather have a guy who can score in bunches than one that can’t.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
people are crapping on mikheyev but mik's current state is better than boeser's current state. he's either one of our top 3 or bottom 3 forwards on any given night.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
His 5-on-5 play has been lagging for quite a while now (3 ESG in his last 19 games) but every time I'm about to say something about it he has a brief blip for a game or two - like the couple games after the 649 line were put together, or the hat trick vs. Columbus.

When the pace goes up against good teams he's getting left behind and he's the one player I'm concerned about in the playoffs as this is exactly what happened in 2020, too.
people are crapping on mikheyev but mik's current state is better than boeser's current state. he's either one of our top 3 or bottom 3 forwards on any given night.
Im glad you guys were able to wait it out and not be forced to post anything positive about him in this thread. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Im glad you guys were able to wait it out and not be forced to post anything positive about him in this thread. ;)
This is another example of your incorrect player evaluations (and unnecessary snark) that I can only imagine are due to the games being on while you're sleeping, though I would've expected that you could've caught at least one of the 10am start games.

I've been extremely pleased with Boeser's play from October until December, even on his off nights, because there was a clear change in effort away from the puck. He's regressed into his old habits that made him an anchor contract. It's a fair criticism when it's been happening for over a month now.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Disagree. Boeser may not be getting to the scoring areas like he did at the start of the season but he's still making plays. It doesn't help that Miller has slowed down coming out of the break

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Disagree. Boeser may not be getting to the scoring areas like he did at the start of the season but he's still making plays. It doesn't help that Miller has slowed down coming out of the break
between boeser and miller, we all know who the play driver is on that line. and yeah, miller has slowed down, so it's not a good thing that boeser can't do anything without miller firing on all cylinders.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is another example of your incorrect player evaluations (and unnecessary snark) that I can only imagine are due to the games being on while you're sleeping, though I would've expected that you could've caught at least one of the 10am start games.

I've been extremely pleased with Boeser's play from October until December, even on his off nights, because there was a clear change in effort away from the puck. He's regressed into his old habits that made him an anchor contract. It's a fair criticism when it's been happening for over a month now.

Likewise, I was very complimentary of his play through the first 30 games. Compete level was way up and it was making things happen for him.

The last 20 or so ... it's been poor. The last month in particular has been really rough and is being propped up statistically by the hat trick against a bottom-feeder Columbus team - that's the only game he's scored in in a month.

He looked sloooooooooow in that Boston game in particular and it gave echoes of his poor 2020 bubble performance, and I'm not overly confident that he'll keep up in a playoff series against Vegas/Colorado/Edmonton.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Likewise, I was very complimentary of his play through the first 30 games. Compete level was way up and it was making things happen for him.

The last 20 or so ... it's been poor. The last month in particular has been really rough and is being propped up statistically by the hat trick against a bottom-feeder Columbus team - that's the only game he's scored in in a month.

He looked sloooooooooow in that Boston game in particular and it gave echoes of his poor 2020 bubble performance, and I'm not overly confident that he'll keep up in a playoff series against Vegas/Colorado/Edmonton.
He's been bad across the board. I'd just like him to try to hit the net. He's shooting high and missing every time.

I've always said he's a guy that is bad in other areas of his game when he isn't scoring. If he isn't producing he gets in his own head and doesn't forecheck or create for others very well. His whole game suffers. When he's scoring he's amazing though. He's gotta find that middle ground when it isn't going in for him, and the team has to learn to move him down the lineup sometimes too.

He's such a nonfactor on the powerplay, not a threat to score or make a play that it's making it way harder for Hughes Miller and Petey to make room. Either swap him with Lindholm at the net front or get Hoglander or Garland some PP1 time.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Boeser is in much better shape this season than the past couple, but I wonder if he is physically capable of playing Tocchet's style for a whole season + playoff, even if his conditioning has improved. He seemed to have lost half a step comparing to the beginning of the season. Kind of strange since he is in his prime, but I wonder if BB6 need some load management throughout the season?

It is so noticeable when he gets off the ice after a shift, and either Garland or Hoglander jumping on, the difference in pace and tempo is very striking.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He's been bad across the board. I'd just like him to try to hit the net. He's shooting high and missing every time.

I've always said he's a guy that is bad in other areas of his game when he isn't scoring. If he isn't producing he gets in his own head and doesn't forecheck or create for others very well. His whole game suffers. When he's scoring he's amazing though. He's gotta find that middle ground when it isn't going in for him, and the team has to learn to move him down the lineup sometimes too.

He's such a nonfactor on the powerplay, not a threat to score or make a play that it's making it way harder for Hughes Miller and Petey to make room. Either swap him with Lindholm at the net front or get Hoglander or Garland some PP1 time.
Jeesh....." bad across the board" while scoring 30 goals and over PPG and ES scoring in the top50 of the entire NHL or are you just talking about recent play as that hasn't been very good and could agree somewhat as his value is certainly tied to his productivity and he's cooled off?

Disagree about the PP he's done a good job around the net and is much better at facilitating the set up as well as puck retrievals and in zone passing. Not all his fault as they have been trying to establish Kuzmenko's role Suter and now Lindholm which has had him bounced around a bunch. His shot has been off target currently and would serve him better to fire more quickly than corralling and letting the goalie get set. Overall he's been good

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

It was a joke.

• Wow
Reactions: God

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Boeser is the one player I'd sell high on in the offseason to open up cap room for Pettersson, Lindholm, and Hronek.

I'd rather have Conor Garland on the team than him. It's nice to see that he's got his shot back but aside from that he doesn't have a lot of utility and I wouldn't be keen to re-sign him after his current contract is over.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Jeesh....." bad across the board" while scoring 30 goals and over PPG and ES scoring in the top50 of the entire NHL or are you just talking about recent play as that hasn't been very good and could agree somewhat as his value is certainly tied to his productivity and he's cooled off?

Disagree about the PP he's done a good job around the net and is much better at facilitating the set up as well as puck retrievals and in zone passing. Not all his fault as they have been trying to establish Kuzmenko's role Suter and now Lindholm which has had him bounced around a bunch. His shot has been off target currently and would serve him better to fire more quickly than corralling and letting the goalie get set. Overall he's been good
He's been bad as of late across the board. As I said when he scores he gets out of his own head and does other things better. His role on the PP is if he gets an open shot to get it on net and be a threat. Since he rarely has the puck when he gets it for a shot he's usually pretty wide open but he just can't get it on net. That said 5 on 5 and on PP Miller hasn't gotten much done either. He's in a bit of a slump offensively and that hurts Boeser too.

The Boeser we saw in the first half of the year is the best version of him we've seen. He facilitated, he went deep on the forecheck and he scored on his chances. Right now he's a lot worse than that.

Reactions: orcatown and God

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Scoring only players are all streaky as hell unless they are a premier talent.

McDavid for example only scored in 40 something games when he had over 60 goals.

If we just base current value off goals, any 40 goal scorer is probably producing in only 25 games.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Scoring only players are all streaky as hell unless they are a premier talent.

McDavid for example only scored in 40 something games when he had over 60 goals.

If we just base current value off goals, any 40 goal scorer is probably producing in only 25 games.
While that's true you hope they do other things when they aren't scoring. Forecheck hard, push defenders back, make room for others. If the puck isn't going in stop shooting top corner and shoot for rebounds etc. My frustrations with him is he seems to get in his own head and stops doing those things when it doesn't go in. Then he scores and is effective all over the ice. I don't expect him to score consistently but I want to see him bring value when he doesn't.

I'm not delusional enough to think he will have Garland levels of effort in the corners but a little more would be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad