Great Britain: British players abroad

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I ctrl + f'd the word pay and didn't see much of anything but speculation. One guy said $20,000 which I could run a team for around here :laugh: so ye that's not exactly a GMHL source and doesn't tell me much about fees paid by euro players drafted into the league

If you read it there are guys who have actually played in the league saying you have to pay for both playing and accommodation. Trust me the Europeans do pay I know this for a fact, I know British players who have played in this league.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
If you read it there are guys who have actually played in the league saying you have to pay for both playing and accommodation. Trust me the Europeans do pay I know this for a fact, I know British players who have played in this league.

Nothing against you but it's just hearsay.

You tell me they pay but you can't tell me what they're paying for, how much, etc.

I usually don't believe until I see it

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
If you don't want to believe it then fine, not sure why we're even arguing about an irrelevant league with irrelevant British players

You just keep pushing your hearsay :sarcasm: there's no real argument...

But that irrelevant league spit out an irrelevant British player named Craig Peacock so that's why we're talking about it.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
He's not the first Brit in the Danish league, David Phillips played a few games there for SønderjyskE

Not to knock Phillips but when I watch him with GB I wonder how the hell he was in the AHL and a guy like O'Connor hasn't (granted he could have had an offer and said no)

With that said, I don't want them going to the AHL because they won't be available for the World Championships which is insanely annoying. Like Robert Farmer going to the ECHL means GB will lose their best forward from the last WC tourney

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Not to knock Phillips but when I watch him with GB I wonder how the hell he was in the AHL and a guy like O'Connor hasn't (granted he could have had an offer and said no)

With that said, I don't want them going to the AHL because they won't be available for the World Championships which is insanely annoying. Like Robert Farmer going to the ECHL means GB will lose their best forward from the last WC tourney

Everyone else seems to say the same thing, politics I guess. I also wish O'Connor would go to a better league as he doesn't really seem to have to push himself in Kazakhstan.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Corey McEwen
From or born in Cardiff. He must of played bantam in Canada to play CJHL?
He says he wants to play Uni hockey and play in England. Well he just comimited to new CIS hockey entrant Laurentian University Voyageurs
Step one looked after.
Gotta be more to the story. How does a boy from Cardiff end up in Northern Ontario and get to play real Jr A and not some pay to play league?
http://www.blindriverbeavers.com/mcewen.html
http://www.thesudburystar.com/2013/05/25/hockey-vees-add-names

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Corey McEwen
From or born in Cardiff. He must of played bantam in Canada to play CJHL?
He says he wants to play Uni hockey and play in England. Well he just comimited to new CIS hockey entrant Laurentian University Voyageurs
Step one looked after.
Gotta be more to the story. How does a boy from Cardiff end up in Northern Ontario and get to play real Jr A and not some pay to play league?
http://www.blindriverbeavers.com/mcewen.html
http://www.thesudburystar.com/2013/05/25/hockey-vees-add-names

Canadian Father played in GB so he has dual citizenship
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=94893

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Jonathan Boxill returning from abroad to play for Nottingham Panthers. Spent last 4 years playing NCAA III at New England College and before that Northwood School

Curious to see how he produces in the EIHL this season. Something tells me he'll be like Danny Wood last season and be better off in EPL

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Curious to see how he produces in the EIHL this season. Something tells me he'll be like Danny Wood last season and be better off in EPL
Panthers have a much better track record with young Brits than Sheffield, I think he'll be alright. Can always loan him to the Lions or Phantoms if he needs the experience.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Looks like he's put up better numbers in college than Wood though

Not be 'that guy' but.... It's NCAA III. Some of the top players in NCAA III won't even be looked at for the CHL let alone the ECHL.

Might sound silly because I'm all about Brits in the EIHL but I don't like that they throw him directly into EIHL rather than giving him at least a year in EPIHL to see what he's actually capable of in the GB pro game.

Based off what I've seen of him via twitter he seems like a good guy and definitely motivated so I wish him all the best, I just don't like the potential of him being thrown into a situation he might not be ready for and crushing that motivation/attitude.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Neilson's had him in his prospects camp (he's send Nottingham's best junior players out to Canada to develop and scout them for three years now) so he's been on Panthers' radar a while. I expect they're well aware of what he can and can't do.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Aidan Doughty from ENL1 Wightlink Raiders got drafted by some GMHL team or something in the first round...

I played junior with that kid, no biggy.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Aidan Doughty from ENL1 Wightlink Raiders got drafted by some GMHL team or something in the first round...

I played junior with that kid, no biggy.

You're a bit late to the party, this was already discussed ;)

Let me guess, are all the idiots on the island over-hyping it? The GMHL is a terrible league and he's not even that good anyway. Do you know if he's actually going to go play there?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
JJ Pitchley returning from abroad to play for London (Romford) Raiders, on a two-way with Slough Jets

Looked like he did quite well in NA, same league as Bobby Chamberlain and more points. He was always a good player, saw him a few times playing juniors for Bracknell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad