Great Britain: British players abroad

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
See that means nothing to me :laugh:

Here we simply have Major Junior(OHL/QMJHL/WHL), Jr. A, Jr. B, Jr. C

The US junior system is a mess after USHL & NAHL because there's so many leagues throughout the country and they're all different qualities
The States Jr system is based on what the tiers can charge
USHL charges little but does not exceed NCAA rules.
NAHL charges for more like housing and transport as tier 2
Tier 3 is pay to play, Maybe with some so called scholarships
Just Goolgle USA Hockey Jr tiers
Either way no States Jr teams are selling for 3 and half to 4 million $ like Bathurst and Charlottetown just did and covering all players costs including education

Last edited:

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Upon further research the WSHL is similar to the Outlaw league in Ontario where both operate without sanctioning from Hockey Canada or USA Gockey

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Upon further research the WSHL is similar to the Outlaw league in Ontario where both operate without sanctioning from Hockey Canada or USA Gockey

"Outlaw league" as in GMHL? Craig Peacock played there back in the day and tore it up, first player to ever net a hattrick in league history & lead the league in goal scoring & points in his one and only season in the league. #randomGBhockeyfacts

I WISH THESE ADVERTISEMENTS ON HFBOARDS WOULD EFF OFF

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
"Outlaw league" as in GMHL? Craig Peacock played there back in the day and tore it up, first player to ever net a hattrick in league history & lead the league in goal scoring & points in his one and only season in the league. #randomGBhockeyfacts

I WISH THESE ADVERTISEMENTS ON HFBOARDS WOULD EFF OFF

Peacock is pretty much the only British player who went to the GMHL who was actually any good, look at most who play there they are barely above average and definitely not good enough to make our WJC team.

Become a sponsor and you won't have that problem ;)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Peacock is pretty much the only British player who went to the GMHL who was actually any good, look at most who play there they are barely above average and definitely not good enough to make our WJC team.

Become a sponsor and you won't have that problem ;)

The advertisements never had sound before. It's so insanely obnoxious

but ye I really know nothing about GMHL, how they recruit, etc. I just know Peacock tore it up then went back to GB and has been excellent, but he was always a promising looking prospect for GB.

It'll be interesting to see the impact Chamberlain has in the EIHL now

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I'll be interesting to see where Chilcott and Musil end up this coming season, are they still young enough to play junior and stay with their current teams?

Pretty sure they can play another year in that league. Like most Jr. leagues in the states, I don't know what EJHL South is and what kind of league-wide quality it is lol

I get USHL & NAHL but after that I'm clueless. My take is if it's in the states and it's a junior league not named NAHL or USHL, you aren't going any higher than Div III NCAA, so I'd rather see those guys go back to EIHL or EPIHL

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
better then the earlier rumored Italy. Plus the team he's going to is one of the better ones in Denmark

They were runner up's in this years league.

During the lockout Zack Smith (Senators) Played there.

Good team, one of the smaller rinks in the league(Though I think they are building a new one), but a very passionate fanbase.. One of few places in Denmark were icehockey outlaws Soccer and Team Handball.

Lot's of info on Youtube about the team, incl a few full games from the final series this year.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Interesting.

I wonder if they actually spoke with him before picking him or if they just completely based it off stats lol

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Interesting.

I wonder if they actually spoke with him before picking him or if they just completely based it off stats lol

I don't know why a GMHL team would pick someone without talking to them, lets be honest it's a bad league with a bad reputation, why would a kid who hadn't already agreed to report want to go there?

I didn't even know the GMHL did a draft I thought it was just pay to play? How does it work do the players who want to play there just sign up to declare for the draft and see what team picks them, or is it similar to the CHL import draft where the scouts go round talking to the players to see who will report?

I always told you Doughty's stats were incredibly misleading and he was overrated anyway. But going there might actually turn him into a decent player as he hasn't improved much by just scoring at will against all the wobblers in the division 2 junior leagues.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I don't know why a GMHL team would pick someone without talking to them, lets be honest it's a bad league with a bad reputation, why would a kid who hadn't already agreed to report want to go there?

Happens in drafts all the time all around the world lol

I remember the 2011 USHL draft had a top 10 pick that went to BCHL instead and last years USHL draft Fred Gauthier went top 10 and he played with Rimouski this season and is now a projected first round pick lol

Same draft as Gauthier a team took Jankowski in the first round but he went straight to NCAA.

Plus getting the player to commit is the easy part when your in NA and talking about Euro players. QMJHL posters love to rip on Cape Breton because last year they picked #7 overall in the CHL Import draft and took a kid they knew would report... Problem is they never saw him live and it turned out he couldn't skate lmao

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=155638

they cut him on the last possible day because they were so embarrassed they didn't wanna cut him right away lol it was just fail all around.

Plus last year a few first round picks never played in the GMHL. The leagues hilarious for all the wrong reason. I hope he reports simply to get him out of Div 2 leagues but the league is crum

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Happens in drafts all the time all around the world lol

I remember the 2011 USHL draft had a top 10 pick that went to BCHL instead and last years USHL draft Fred Gauthier went top 10 and he played with Rimouski this season and is now a projected first round pick lol

Same draft as Gauthier a team took Jankowski in the first round but he went straight to NCAA.

Plus getting the player to commit is the easy part when your in NA and talking about Euro players. QMJHL posters love to rip on Cape Breton because last year they picked #7 overall in the CHL Import draft and took a kid they knew would report... Problem is they never saw him live and it turned out he couldn't skate lmao

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=155638

they cut him on the last possible day because they were so embarrassed they didn't wanna cut him right away lol it was just fail all around.

Plus last year a few first round picks never played in the GMHL. The leagues hilarious for all the wrong reason. I hope he reports simply to get him out of Div 2 leagues but the league is crum

Yeah I know but those are legit leagues, but what I mean is if they just looked at his stats they would think he was better than he actually is so they might be afraid of picking him incase he wanted to play in a better league. As I've said in the past most of the guys who go to the GMHL aren't even good by British standards.

I am not sure if he will report though, he's not a U18 anymore and if it were me I would rather stay on the Island and play for the Raiders for free in what is a better league. But maybe he doesn't know how rubbish the GMHL is.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
So so far confirmed abroad we have:

Craig Peacock - Denmark
Joey Lewis - Germany 3
Jack Prince - NCAA - Apparently UAH are going to join the WCHA this season?

The Perlini brothers, Scott Conway and Liam Stewart obviously

Ben O'Connor isn't confirmed anywhere yet but it's likely he will stay abroad.

I'll update the OP when the seasons starts and the Elite Prospects feature is updated

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Ben O'Connor has another year in Kazakhstan, seen him talking about it during the World Championships on twitter.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Yeah I know but those are legit leagues, but what I mean is if they just looked at his stats they would think he was better than he actually is so they might be afraid of picking him incase he wanted to play in a better league. As I've said in the past most of the guys who go to the GMHL aren't even good by British standards.

I am not sure if he will report though, he's not a U18 anymore and if it were me I would rather stay on the Island and play for the Raiders for free in what is a better league. But maybe he doesn't know how rubbish the GMHL is.

those are legit leagues so if anyone should be making more advised draft choices it's them, not the GMHL lol

look at the GMHL draft history, tons of their picks don't report.

Him playing GMHL could be better then playing NIHL imo. Worked for Craig Peacock and RUPERT QUINEY

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
those are legit leagues so if anyone should be making more advised draft choices it's them, not the GMHL lol

look at the GMHL draft history, tons of their picks don't report.

Him playing GMHL could be better then playing NIHL imo. Worked for Craig Peacock and RUPERT QUINEY

Alright, fair enough.

I am just talking from a personal gain perspective rather than development as GMHL is pay to play and expensive, and he probably wouldn't be paying to play for the Wightlink Raiders. Doesn't really bother me what is better for development as he isn't ever going to be a GB player anyway and I would be shocked if he ever becomes relevant in the EPL.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Alright, fair enough.

I am just talking from a personal gain perspective rather than development as GMHL is pay to play and expensive, and he probably wouldn't be paying to play for the Wightlink Raiders. Doesn't really bother me what is better for development as he isn't ever going to be a GB player anyway and I would be shocked if he ever becomes relevant in the EPL.

GMHL likely isn't charging euro players to come play in their league if they're drafting them. I know next to nothing about this crap league though lol it's just my perception of logic, but it wouldn't be the first time that a league defy all logic :laugh:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
GMHL likely isn't charging euro players to come play in their league if they're drafting them. I know next to nothing about this crap league though lol it's just my perception of logic, but it wouldn't be the first time that a league defy all logic :laugh:

I am certain the GMHL charges them. The appeal of the GMHL to Europeans is it's one of the only junior leagues in Canada they are actually allowed to play in without restrictions. Some guys just want to play in Canada for the experience of living away from home and playing a decent long schedule of hockey. Plus they take a lot of kids from obscure hockey countries who are better off playing there than at home.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I am certain the GMHL charges them. The appeal of the GMHL to Europeans is it's one of the only junior leagues in Canada they are actually allowed to play in without restrictions. Some guys just want to play in Canada for the experience of living away from home and playing a decent long schedule of hockey. Plus they take a lot of kids from obscure hockey countries who are better off playing there than at home.

I'd have to see it from a GMHL source to believe it. Are they paying to play or paying to stay with a billet family?

I wouldn't pay to play in the GMHL if I wasn't already sending my kid to a prep school in Canada for a few years prior lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad