GDT: Bring Us Luck Craigy Ferg: Lightning @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
I think the problem regarding coaching is that it probably wasn't good last year either and was buoyed by Hall's performance plus the team speed catching teams off guard. Teams are better prepared for that this year and Hall clearly isn't going to repeat as MVP so when all they to fall back on is the "system" this is what happens.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Like I've said before, I give Shero the benefit of the doubt for this last summer. He put his faith in the players who were here, and so far they've failed miserably (with a few exceptions of course). He does need to be more active moving forward though. Another summer of inactivity and I'm going to seriously wonder what the hell is going on.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
They are playing like a bottom 3 unit those that. That is the problem. There is no system, no structure. Nothing at all.

I mean it's easy to say that and trust me if you want me to admit the coaching staff isn't great, I've been on the Hynes is overrated bandwagon for years. So I agree the system and structure isn't good. Because it hasn't been good for years.

But nothing that you can quantify is really showing that they're playing like a bottom 3 defense. But there's plenty that would show the goaltending duo sucks.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Honestly I barely payed attention to this one.

Miles wood needs to stop chirping. I mean he’s embarrassing on the ice. Absolutely atrocious hockey player right now and runs around the ice like he’s in charge. He’s making a joke out of his name

I don’t know why our players don’t care this year. I said this back in training camp, there just wasn’t the same buzz around the team but it’s more than clear nobody playing right now gives a f*** ahout this team or where it goes.

Whether it’s ray, Hynes, the assistants, a player I don’t care. To not make any changes after the way we’ve been playing is absolutely f***ing unacceptable.

Buckle up everybody. Going to be a long, shitty hear of devils hockey

Reactions: Sir Fenwick Corsi

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Well I’ll give Hynes credit for the outworked comments. He’s 100 percent right about that. Now is that on the staff or are the players just over it this year. It’s a mixture of both imho.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
They are playing like a bottom 3 unit those that. That is the problem. There is no system, no structure. Nothing at all.

its a bottom 5 defense and bottom 5 goaltending but having both stink makes each look worse than they probably are in reality

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I'll say this about Shero. He's made some good moves, but he got WAY too much credit early on for being this mastermind. He didn't rebuild our farm system. We just happened to suck and get lottery luck and that's how we improved our pipeline. Any GM would have had the prospect system getting ranked better because we were constantly picking near the top.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If he was a good coach they wouldn’t only play hard every other game.

Yeah they played hard against the Jets, but where was the anger for falling short that game?

at what point do you hold the millionaire adult athletes responsible for getting ready to play? hynes is supposed to be a coach, not a cheerleader. if you want to criticize his strategy fine, but enough of this rah rah bullshit

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I'm not saying the defense is good. They're not. Probably not even average. But they're not this bottom 3-5 unit that people are saying they are. None of the metrics really show that when you analyze what type of chances their allowing and where they're allowing them. They're bottom 12 in CF and FF per 60 minutes. They're actually 2nd best in High Danger Chances Allowed. They just have one of the lower save percentages amongst every team.

If prime Brodeur was in net, the Devils would be much much much better. And people wouldn't be ripping the defense nearly as much.

The goalies are just a bottom 3 tandem. Just what it is.

But they're not though (cory is)...

Corsica 5v5 HDSV % (min 400 minutes)

kKJ3lwc.png

GSAA:

f5VljPh.png

Kinkaid is average at worst. There aren't many elite goalies. There are a ton of average goalies. You'll get the same results with a majority of the league.

Reactions: Jets012

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Right just me.

Or Patrick Kane...

Or players on this team...

Or John Tortorella....

Or others within the NHL who have praised him...

...but who gives a ****, amirite? I'll take your word for it.

Players on the Jets swear by Todd Bowles being a good coach too lol...the last guys in the room even beyond fans I'll take the word of are players themselves. Or other coaches for that matter, they aren't going to bash each other. How long did Kane get 'coached' by Hynes, a summer or two?

The proof in the pudding will be whether Hynes gets another job (and with who if he does), as to what people think of him in the league. Pete actually got jobs with better teams each stop which never happens lol

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Like I've said before, I give Shero the benefit of the doubt for this last summer. He put his faith in the players who were here, and so far they've failed miserably (with a few exceptions of course). He does need to be more active moving forward though. Another summer of inactivity and I'm going to seriously wonder what the hell is going on.

I’ll give him some benefit of the doubt because the biggest hole on this team is LD, and that isn’t easy to go out and just acquire.

It took special circumstances to get Vats and we still paid a big price.

Still he needed to upgrade there if nothing else, and credit for drafting Ty, but no credit for anything else.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

did the kids fail the system or did the system fail the kids?

If we only knew...

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
But they're not though (cory is)...

Corsica 5v5 HDSV % (min 400 minutes)

kKJ3lwc.png

GSAA:

f5VljPh.png

Kinkaid is average at worst. There aren't many elite goalies. There are a ton of average goalies. You'll get the same results with a majority of the league.

Well it depends. Do you think that Kinkaid's performance is boosted because of an excellent beginning sample at the start of the season. Based on his whole career and how he's been the last 10 or so games, I would argue yes. But it is a good counter point you brought up

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Skeletor on Tampa: "They're a cap team & have some good players."

Methinks Shero might not like that comment.

Maybe he is already getting heat from Shero lol...it's a bit odd he'd reference being a cap team unless it was somehow brought up in the question.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The thing with Hynes is there have basically been stretches like this every year with him as coach.

Two years ago they won like 3 of their last 24 games. Last year they couldn’t buy a win in January and February and nearly choked away what was a big playoff cushion.

The roster is flawed, and Shero f***ed up royally (and maybe fatally) by not bringing anyone extra in during the offseason. But Hynes just isn’t a good coach. Teams with good coaches don’t have stretches like this, no matter how bad the roster is. And frankly this roster is better than some we have had in the recent past.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Well it depends. Do you think that Kinkaid's performance is boosted because of an excellent beginning sample at the start of the season. Based on his whole career and how he's been the last 10 or so games, I would argue yes. But it is a good counter point you brought up

i think even with him playing the worst he's played all season and the team playing the worst they played that he is somewhere in the middle between now and the beginning of the season. i don't think he's a difference maker but gives the team a chance to win. that's really all most goalies are these days.

for his price though. no one should be complaining. he is worth at least 3 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad