GDT: Bring Us Luck Craigy Ferg: Lightning @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
andy greene should have been traded 2/3 years ago... when he had value.. not even sure what he can bring back in trade right now... maybe a #2 to desperate team at the deadline that thinks they are pretty close and gets an injury

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
HF wants to can the coach again. Imagine my shock.

This is none too surprising for those of us only shocked Shero would do nothing the entire summer for a team clearly ripe to take a step backward. No, this could be seen coming from a mile away.

Not thrilled with his assistants, but Hynes is a damn good coach. He would land on his feet somewhere like the last coach that HF had marked as a bum. Getting rid of Hynes after he did absolutely nothing this summer would be a gutless move by Shero. I sincerely hope he's better than that.

No, it's a clear 2 part problem and one may influence the outcome of the other, but it doesn't determine the manner in which the outcome is arrived at. This team isn't even trying now. That's not GM issues, that's coaches issues. The system he's deployed blows. He might be a good coach at some level but the NHL is not his level based on the evidence we're seeing now. You can try your butt off and lose 4-2 every night and blame the roster but the blowouts and no PP, no PK, no D zone coverage, that's not roster issues, that's coaching.

Shero deserves plenty for sitting idle but Hynes has been just as idle with his systems and lines/OT decisions. He's not cutting it either.

One sets the strategy, the other sets the tactics and right now both are failing which makes it all the more painful.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

What are any of you going to do about it?

The only one that even LOOKED like he wanted to do anything about it was Hynes. Holding Hall accountable should have sent a message if the team wasn't completely comatose.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
but Hynes is a damn good coach. He would land on his feet somewhere like the last coach that HF had marked as a bum.
A damn good coach? Says who? You? I don’t see anything that says he’s any better than average. He really isn’t comparable to DeBoer who had a larger resume and was highly heralded for years before he came to the NHL. I think DeBoer is mostly good, though, his system was a bit too uncreative at times and he had an affinity for really horriawfible players like Pete Harrold. Hynes also did have the balls to staple #35’s ass to the bench the last two seasons which DeBoer did not with #30. And for that I applaud him. Other than that? He’s Kevin Constantine to me. Average coach at best. Very expendable.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Maybe this loss will actually get some to step it up. Everyone not named Coleman have to be better.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
What move could we have made this summer that would drastically improve the current team? Remember that free agency is a two way street, you don't just get to sign guys like it's an EA sports game. We made offers but didn't land the guys we wanted, and it's horribly stupid to overpay free agents just to sign them.

Right. The old "name the moves he could have done" defense. Newsflash, that's what Shero is paid for.

That's what Shero was paid for the prior seasons he was here and managed to do. That's what we praised him for and rightfully so.

By the same token, when your team desperately needs improvement, you have cap space to do so, you have assets, you have young players, you have picks, and you can't pull it off, the criticism is warranted. Always. Shero would tell you the same. It's his job to make this team better. We've been in far worse situations cap-wise, asset-wise, youth-wise than currently. It's not exactly an impossible situation.

It was Shero that told us all the cap-space would be an asset not only in free agency, but in trades. Referencing previous moves he had done. I didn't put those words in Shero's mouth. He did.

We hold the players accountable for their job. We're all too eager around here to do the same with the coach. So spare me the "what was poor Shero to do????" defense. His job. Improve a team desperate to be pushed forward. That didn't happen.

We can blame no one else but him for that. Just as if at some point he lands an upgrade, we can credit no one else but him.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
HF wants to can the coach again. Imagine my shock.

This is none too surprising for those of us only shocked Shero would do nothing the entire summer for a team clearly ripe to take a step backward. No, this could be seen coming from a mile away.

Not thrilled with his assistants, but Hynes is a damn good coach. He would land on his feet somewhere like the last coach that HF had marked as a bum. Getting rid of Hynes after he did absolutely nothing this summer would be a gutless move by Shero. I sincerely hope he's better than that.
“Hynes is a damn good coach”...L-O-L! You gotta be seriously irrational to look at this lineup and claim that it should have been expected to be expansion level bad even with supposedly “great” coaching.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Right. The old "name the moves he could have done" defense. Newsflash, that's what Shero is paid for.

That's what Shero was paid for the prior seasons he was here and managed to do. That's what we praised him for and rightfully so.

By the same token, when your team desperately needs improvement, you have cap space to do so, you have assets, you have young players, you have picks, and you can't pull it off, the criticism is warranted. Always. Shero would tell you the same. It's his job to make this team better. We've been in far worse situations cap-wise, asset-wise, youth-wise than currently. It's not exactly an impossible situation.

It was Shero that told us all the cap-space would be an asset not only in free agency, but in trades. Referencing previous moves he had done. I didn't put those words in Shero's mouth. He did.

We hold the players accountable for their job. We're all too eager around here to do the same with the coach. So spare me the "what was poor Shero to do????" defense. His job. Improve a team desperate to be pushed forward. That didn't happen.

We can blame no one else but him for that. Just as if at some point he lands an upgrade, we can credit no one else but him.

While I don't agree with you on Hynes I absolutely agree here. The honeymoon's over with Shero too.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Marty couldn’t save this team with how they are playing.

I'm not saying the defense is good. They're not. Probably not even average. But they're not this bottom 3-5 unit that people are saying they are. None of the metrics really show that when you analyze what type of chances their allowing and where they're allowing them. They're bottom 12 in CF and FF per 60 minutes. They're actually 2nd best in High Danger Chances Allowed. They just have one of the lower save percentages amongst every team.

If prime Brodeur was in net, the Devils would be much much much better. And people wouldn't be ripping the defense nearly as much.

The goalies are just a bottom 3 tandem. Just what it is.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
No, it's a clear 2 part problem and one may influence the outcome of the other, but it doesn't determine the manner in which the outcome is arrived at. This team isn't even trying now. That's not GM issues, that's coaches issues. The system he's deployed blows. He might be a good coach at some level but the NHL is not his level based on the evidence we're seeing now. You can try your butt off and lose 4-2 every night and blame the roster but the blowouts and no PP, no PK, no D zone coverage, that's not roster issues, that's coaching.

Shero deserves plenty for sitting idle but Hynes has been just as idle with his systems and lines/OT decisions. He's not cutting it either.

One sets the strategy, the other sets the tactics and right now both are failing which makes it all the more painful.
:thumbu:

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
A damn good coach? Says who? You? I don’t see anything that says he’s any better than average. He really isn’t comparable to DeBoer who had a larger resume and was highly heralded for years before he came to the NHL. I think DeBoer is mostly good, though, his system was a bit too uncreative at times and he had an affinity for really horriawfible players like Pete Harrold. Hynes also did have the balls to staple #35’s ass to the bench the last two seasons which DeBoer did not with #30. And for that I applaud him. Other than that? He’s Kevin Constantine to me. Average coach at best. Very expendable.

Right just me.

Or Patrick Kane...

Or players on this team...

Or John Tortorella....

Or others within the NHL who have praised him...

...but who gives a f***, amirite? I'll take your word for it.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
A lot of what we are seeing with Hynes system wise isn't too surprising as these issues have been there all along, they just tended to be overlooked and too often given the excuse of us being early on in the rebuild and him being a new coach figuring things out as well. That excuse was arguably fair then, give the benefit of the doubt.

Now we are seeing things in a more panicked state because of the major step back that is being taken in a year where there was opportunity to take another step forward and the lack of improvement is significant enough with little change made to improve.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Hynes was a good coach the team wouldn't only play hard every other year and they would have the vague notion of what a system is. He's good at speaking in cliches but what does he actually DO in terms of tactical adjustments and lineup moves that would lead anyone to think he's a great coach?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm not saying the defense is good. They're not. Probably not even average. But they're not this bottom 3-5 unit that people are saying they are. None of the metrics really show that when you analyze what type of chances their allowing and where they're allowing them. They're bottom 12 in CF and FF per 60 minutes. They're actually 2nd best in High Danger Chances Allowed. They just have one of the lower save percentages amongst every team.

If prime Brodeur was in net, the Devils would be much much much better. And people wouldn't be ripping the defense nearly as much.

The goalies are just a bottom 3 tandem. Just what it is.

They are playing like a bottom 3 unit those that. That is the problem. There is no system, no structure. Nothing at all.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Maybe this loss will actually get some to step it up. Everyone not named Coleman have to be better.

pretty sure the team on many nights has given it all they have... they don't have a playoff caliber goaltending tandem or defense... the forward are borderline playoff caliber.. all that adds up to it being what it is.. you can get some competitive periods but they are not gonna win a ton of games as they have to play too flawless for wins... on a consistent basis.. they need some major shakeups... guys like zajac... greene.... butcher.. need to be put on the trading block to bring in some real assets at the trade deadline.. zajac is real professional and will bring back a late #1 pick potentially which can be parlayed into trading for a real NHL defenseman from a cap troubled team.. buy out schneider and and try and go find a goalie.. this team is in worse shape than people realize long term

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If Hynes was a good coach the team wouldn't only play hard every other year and they would have the vague notion of what a system is.

If he was a good coach they wouldn’t only play hard every other game.

Yeah they played hard against the Jets, but where was the anger for falling short that game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad