GDT: Bring Us Luck Craigy Ferg: Lightning @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
andy greene should have been traded 2/3 years ago... when he had value.. not even sure what he can bring back in trade right now... maybe a #2 to desperate team at the deadline that thinks they are pretty close and gets an injury
Honestly, Greene (And Schneider) are pretty much on par with some of the Lou holdovers from when Shero got here. Some of the washed up bone dust he inherited upon arrival, back when Schneider and Greene were the best players on the team. It's actually sad to see.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Shero deserves criticism too. He came here and made this the New Jersey Penguins old boys club from a coaching and management standpoint. Along with that meaningless “fast attacking supportive” schtick that supposed to pass as some sort of identity.

Lou couldn’t keep up with the evolution of the league in his last few years here, but he gave this franchise a real tangible philosophy that matched us a fanbase. And it was a winner’s / champion culture. Ray came in and basically crapped on that identity when he should have taken the more subtle approach of enhancing it.

One of the reasons I fell in love with this team is because they had a uniquely Jersey underdog identity. This franchise is becoming cookie cutter. Just one of probably 16-20 NHL teams that tries to catch lightning in a bottle from year to year. Really sad as a long term fan.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Shots fired

Did anybody see Hynes presser? After having to watch Tampa's feed all game, I at least was able to turn it over to the post game and caught that.

Hynes said a bunch of the usual, looked pretty depressed as it started, but started to act perky later on. One thing he did was he made sure to give Tampa credit and one of the things he said in giving them credit was ''They're a cap team, they're skilled''. They're a cap team? Sounds like a subtle call out if you ask me.

I think it's more than subtle lol

I never thought Hynes would beat Todd Bowles to the unemployment line a couple weeks ago but now he just might.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I didn’t think Hynes was trying to be cheeky with the cap comment. I took that more as that they’re a team loaded with skill and a full payroll and they don’t take nights off, even though they could. I just don’t see Hynes as being a dick like that to Shero. I think they both understand the tough situation they’re both in currently.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We thought they might continue to stink and, in fact, they stankified Newark tonight. The only surprise today was Bratt's illness. They also looked absolutely dejected. I hate seeing the boys befuddled and bedraggled. It's hard to even know where to start.

A few thoughts to tide over the faithful flock and any stray Devils that might wander onto our beloved bulletin board...

The difference between a good team (perhaps not the elites) and a bad time is not too great. Only last year the Coyotes and Rangers were getting stomped and the Devils were playoff bound. This year, with largely the same cast, the outlook is bleak. It says something about the marginal benefit of a positive mindset and teamwork, both of which are absent at the moment. This team needs an All Star break 2 months ago.

But, this means they can turn it around, but they need to get their minds right.

I would imagine if you are Shero or Hynes you go back to first principles...build from the net out. You need to think about who gives you the best shot to win in net. Sadly, "I don't know" is what the recent history suggests. Kinky is a better puck handler so perhaps that gives you one answer.

Beyond that, I think they need to focus on the basics and return to a more conservative style. Step 1, stop giving up 4+ goals a game. Forget about the offense--protect the house, protect the puck and protect the shots. Baby steps. The patient must re-learn to walk.

I didn't mind Zacha on the half-wall. If this season is washed up, let's get some things out of it. Let Pavel get some PP time. Nico, work on those face-offs. Brett, give Lance Armstrong's trainer a call. Mojo, rewatch the Wizard of Oz and realize that the Cowardly Lion always had a heart. Hall, maybe re-use a stick for two games-you are in your head bigly. Wood, stop taking power skating lessons with David Clarkson.

Coleman, figure out how to mic yourself up and start a youtube channel...profit. Boyle, stop watching Marek Malik shootout videos. Seriously, how awesome would that goal have been tonight? Zajac, never change. You rock.

Just be happy. I'm trying.

It’s so hard to maintain the emotions necessary to play hard all the time as the bumps bruises and small aches add up. That’s where talent comes in. Look no further than Hall. He’s not playing close to his best but he’s still producing offense. NJ can’t win with a meh effort but good teams can. You make some excellent points but “first principles”? Who are you Hannibal Lecter? Just teasing- good post with some good perspective.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Firing Hynes is easy, finding a person to coach this **** show is another story.

Well yeah that's the dirty little secret none of us want to acknowledge...so far between Disco Dan and Hynesie it doesn't look too great in terms of Shero's track record picking coaches. Not like there's any great in-house candidates either.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You don’t say he was benched though. Say the game was out of hand and it was the end of a 3 in 4 and you wanted to manage his ice time because he is a key player moving forward

When the guy's sitting for the entire final seven minutes of the second period while it was still theoretically a game, it was a benching. Especially with only eleven forwards to start with. It would be cowardly and hilariously stupid to try to pass it off as anything else.

It's sad I didn't even realize he was benched cause he's been that ineffective.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
It’s so hard to maintain the emotions necessary to play hard all the time as the bumps bruises and small aches add up. That’s where talent comes in. Look no further than Hall. He’s not playing close to his best but he’s still producing offense. NJ can’t win with a meh effort but good teams can. You make some excellent points but “first principles”? Who are you Hannibal Lecter? Just teasing- good post with some good perspective.

I did watch this game with some chianti and fava beans.

They are not the Jets or the Lightning or the Preds, but you know there's talent on this team. Every time they play TB they look like the Maclean-era Devils, which for me, was the worst version of the Devils pre-1994 (since I started watching hockey). I'm surprised the PA system wasn't playing Benny Hill when TB was cycling in the o-zone. Point's slot goal was astonishingly easy.

Reactions: My3Sons

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Let's be real. Hall has not been very good for a number of games stretching back. When I say good, I mean he hasn't been playing like Hall usually plays. His skill level is still better than everyone on the roster, but he's making really piss poor decisions, or if the decision making is good, the execution is poor (missed passes, missed poke checks, falling over, shanking shots, making bad decisions in transition zones.... for a number of games now.

I think Hall was very deserving of a short benching. He shouldn't be above that kind of critique either, MVP or not.

He's not alone of course, most of the team, except Zajac, Coleman, and a very select few others, are in the same boat, but since he is your most notable star, its very easy to see when he's having a bad stretch as well.

Where the hell was Greene saying this when he played piss-poor like 2 or 3 games ago and the red seas were parting everytime he was on the ice in his zone...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
HF wants to can the coach again. Imagine my shock.

This is none too surprising for those of us only shocked Shero would do nothing the entire summer for a team clearly ripe to take a step backward. No, this could be seen coming from a mile away.

Not thrilled with his assistants, but Hynes is a damn good coach. He would land on his feet somewhere like the last coach that HF had marked as a bum. Getting rid of Hynes after he did absolutely nothing this summer would be a gutless move by Shero. I sincerely hope he's better than that.
You know, you really had me until I saw ''Hynes is a damn good coach''.

Why is he a ''Damn good coach''? I see nothing that says he's a damn good coach. He's a dime a dozen coach at best.

Okay, yeah, I was one of the guys that said DeBoer wouldn't get another head coaching position unless he served time as an assistant first. What I did wrong was underrate how respected DeBoer was around the league. DeBoer is the same guy Pierre McGuire (who is not always right, but he certainly was that time) noted during the 2003 draft, among other occasions before DeBoer made the NHL, that some player (probably Richards) was coached by DeBoer in Kitchener who would be a ''Head coach in the NHL someday and for a real long time''.

So DeBoer was definitely more regarded around the NHL than Hynes is right now. I don't see Hynes getting an NHL head coaching position any time soon if he's fired now. I'm not saying he'll never coach in the NHL again, but he'll definitely need more time somewhere else first before he gets offered another gig. Hall winning the Hart last year probably only hurt Hynes chances at getting an NHL head coaching position quicker once this one ends. DeBoer's LONG junior head coaching tenure and the fact that he made the SCF with the only really talented team he had was what bought him another job pretty quickly after us.

Once Hynes is fired from here (assuming it's before we make the playoffs again) I see him maybe getting an assistant coaching job in the NHL right afterwards. Maybe a year or two later he gets another shot at an NHL head coaching gig. Maybe he's not a BAD coach, but I just can't get behind calling him a ''Damn good coach''. People have been saying he's a good coach for years, and I've never understood why.

I do think his assistants are worse and this is why I don't want him fired. Kowalsky is worse for sure. Nasreddine likely is too. One of them could be interim if he goes, but Nasreddine will probably go with him or shortly after. Kowalsky should be gone tonight. That experiment failed.

And I agree with you on Shero, he needs to be called out more. Everyone bitches about the coaching staff and the players and the goalies (I definitely do), but they don't wanna bitch about the guy who built this team, the guy who won't waive any of these players and the guy who keeps this coaching staff intact. Kowalsky is the main thing wrong with this staff right now. The power play is all they talked about in the post game. Hynes was the one who vouched for Shero to hire him, who was reluctant, but I don't think Hynes knew he was gonna be this bad.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Re: Deboer, I don’t think the two situations are comparable. Up until the last year when things fell apart, we all recognized he was a good systems coach for the most part. However, he certainly leaned very much on the guys from the 2012 team too much as the years went on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad