Confirmed with Link: Brind'Amour named head coach

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I just found most of my posts on the subject in a different thread. I didn't want him at the time because I thought an outside voice was needed, but I spent quite a bit of time defending his candidacy from a conceptual standpoint as many were complaining he'd only been an assistant, and one on a bad team.

"I mostly haven't been a fan of hiring him just because I want an outside person at this point. But I won't go crazy if he's hired. Gold was mostly an idiot as usual, but the one thing he had right is most of his PP strategies probably ultimately came down the pipe in some sense from Peters. Anyone that's acting like they know he'll be a bad coach based on that seems out to lunch to me. We have no idea just how much overall impact or say he had as an assistant or how different he'll run things as head coach."

"If you're so confident in that being the case, clearly they are going to interview several candidates, so Brindy will almost certainly lose out. Or maybe, he'll have something to say about all the years he played in the league, all the coaches he played for, all the systems he played under, why he conceptually thinks that his system (whatever it may be) will work where the game is at today, how he can improve on some of the many weaknesses we saw from the amazingly refined Bill Peters coaching system and his in game coaching, his many years as an assistant at this point, etc. Or maybe he won't. We have no clue.

If he isn't able to confidently get that point across, then he probably won't get the job, and we have nothing to worry about."

Narrator: He did have something to say.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Not being a guy that commented on the boards that year seems like a wise decision on my end, though looking back, my much bigger skepticism was with Don Waddell, not Brindy. One thing that I will say is that Dundon having such confidence in his remaining in-house group when Francis and Peters left said a lot about how strong the FO personnel was at the assistant level even during that particular era. Tulsky and (especially) Yorke played a role in some excellent draft classes over the years, and Rod played a significant role in the Canes' rising reputation as a puck possession hub.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don’t think I posted in this thread specifically but will pay my back as being one of the few posters to defend the move to make Rod Coach and said he’d succeed.

Don’t bet against Rod. He’s a winner and a born leader. If you won’t play for him then you won’t play for anyone.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
There were some very good points made in opposition to Rod being the HC. The guy literally had nothing to write home about on his post career resume at that time. I think he had a metric shit ton of "untangibles" as Tripp would say, that made him a good choice but that's not always easy to gauge as an outsider. You have to remember us as fans had been through some rough years from 2010 on. We were 9 seasons removed from a post season. That's spelled N I N E, and Rod was the last remaining chaperone of that long, dark adventure. Stick that in your hindsight pipe and smoke it because that f***ing sucks, folks.

Of course, the man we now revere came in and took the team to the playoffs his very first season. Obviously, that probably wasn't an expected outcome by even the most level headed of us, but it happened, and the train keeps rolling. He was obviously the right choice for the job, and thank God too. This franchise owes a lot to him. He's likely criminally underpaid to boot.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Found the worst take of alllllllll.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Found the worst take of alllllllll.

:biglaugh:

TBF, though, none of those changes happened all in one offseason. It was far more gradual in the sense that three of the guys were moved in one offseason, followed by another one mid-season and the last one in the following season's training camp.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Being exactly wrong is pretty much as good as being exactly right. If you will just tell us who the Borg is definitely going to keep over the next few years we can all avoid buying their jerseys.
But I wasn’t exactly wrong, more like 75%. I got the players right, just how many wrong so your suggestion won’t work.

For example, if I were to say the Canes are moving on from one of Fleury, Dougie, McGinn and Martinook next year, then you can book it that all 4 are gone. :sarcasm:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
There were some very good points made in opposition to Rod being the HC. The guy literally had nothing to write home about on his post career resume at that time. I think he had a metric shit ton of "untangibles" as Tripp would say, that made him a good choice but that's not always easy to gauge as an outsider. You have to remember us as fans had been through some rough years from 2010 on. We were 9 seasons removed from a post season. That's spelled N I N E, and Rod was the last remaining chaperone of that long, dark adventure. Stick that in your hindsight pipe and smoke it because that f***ing sucks, folks.

Of course, the man we now revere came in and took the team to the playoffs his very first season. Obviously, that probably wasn't an expected outcome by even the most level headed of us, but it happened, and the train keeps rolling. He was obviously the right choice for the job, and thank God too. This franchise owes a lot to him. He's likely criminally underpaid to boot.

Yeah, but look at the timelines. When did the team start sucking and going into a dark deep depression? Essentially when he handed the C over to EStaal and was forced to retire because of injuries.

Coincidence and bad timing for EStaal? Maybe, but then almost a decade later the team gets sold, a bunch of wholesale changes are made, and Rod becomes the HC. The team had some young promise but come on, they weren't a good team. We picked up some bargain bin goalies and a lot of the young players made huge strides. Would they have done that with or without Rod as HC? Who knows, I'm just telling you what DID happen.

Rod had no HC experience but guys love to play for him. You can tell. They respect him for what he did on the ice and who he is off of it. Contrast that to Peters who was groomed under Mike Babcock super coach to be the next big thing behind the bench in the league. How'd that guy turn out?

Sports probably isn't all that different than other industries in that much of the time it's better to bet on people rather than pedigree. Sure, don't make a someone a brain surgeon just because they are an honest, hard working guy but doesn't know an anus from an ear lobe. But in a position that requires leadership, managing people/personalities, and a lot of soft skills, you can't just say 'This person looks good on paper' so they will do a great job. Again, look at Babcock. The guy is a sociopathic monster but 5 years ago every team in the league would have sold their first born to be their head coach.

So, if you've got a bet on someone to lead the way, get a job done and inspire others to perform to the best of their abilities, Rod's a pretty good bet. There aren't many, if any, quite like him out there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad