Confirmed with Link: Brind'Amour named head coach

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Rod took a show me deal to be HC. He showed us. Honestly, he wasn't going to get a HC job anywhere else without paying some dues in the AHL or something. He probably wasn't hurting for money, so he could afford to make that bet on himself. Now, it's time to pay the man a decent salary as a HC.

I base my "not hurting for money" based on the fact that for years while he was playing, he drove a Honda Ridgeline where most of the others were sporting expensive rides. I know this because of waiting outside the arena many nights with my kids for autographs. I figure he was fairly frugal. Also, Scotty Walker drove a minivan.

He also had a pretty hefty alimony payment (he got that reduced in court because his ex- was spending inordinate amounts of money). But he's a pretty conservative guy, and has recently sold his mega-mansion - the sport court was bigger than our house. It's just him and his wife and youngest son now, so he didn't need all the space they had. He's a wise money guy.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
No shit, Adam.

In a text exchange this week regarding ongoing discussions on an extension for the head coach Dundon responded, “Working. He will be here.”

vB9B5.gif

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Gold is right that Brind'Amour needs to be exempt from the philosophy that effectively everyone not on the ice is expendable, but this team is not going to plunge into mediocrity if he leaves. He's overrating the players they had and/or underrating those that Brind'Amour has coached if he pins the struggles the team had those years just on who was behind the bench. Muller's Canes were a mediocre group overall that lacked depth up front and on defense. Peters' Canes lacked prime aged high end scoring up front and had to endure the Scott Darling experiment at the end; the 17-18 team was wild card caliber with Ward in net. Brind'Amour enjoys both prime aged high end scoring and depth on both sides of the puck. This is not the case of a team overperforming relative to what's expected.

It continually amazes me how much of a crutch coaching is in pro sports among owners, management and fans alike. The reality is that in a 30-32 team league, a good chunk of it is not going to meet or exceed ever increasing expectations in a given year. It's just the math of a setup that sees just one team achieve the ultimate goal. Coaching changes are needed from time to time to shake things up in an effort to squeeze a little more out of a team, but too often these coaches bear the brunt of the blame for players that just aren't good enough.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Gold is right that Brind'Amour needs to be exempt from the philosophy that effectively everyone not on the ice is expendable, but this team is not going to plunge into mediocrity if he leaves. He's overrating the players they had and/or underrating those that Brind'Amour has coached if he pins the struggles the team had those years just on who was behind the bench. Muller's Canes were a mediocre group overall that lacked depth up front and on defense. Peters' Canes lacked prime aged high end scoring up front and had to endure the Scott Darling experiment at the end; the 17-18 team was wild card caliber with Ward in net. Brind'Amour enjoys both prime aged high end scoring and depth on both sides of the puck. This is not the case of a team overperforming relative to what's expected.

It continually amazes me how much of a crutch coaching is in pro sports among owners, management and fans alike. The reality is that in a 30-32 team league, a good chunk of it is not going to meet or exceed ever increasing expectations in a given year. It's just the math of a setup that sees just one team achieve the ultimate goal. Coaching changes are needed from time to time to shake things up in an effort to squeeze a little more out of a team, but too often these coaches bear the brunt of the blame for players that just aren't good enough.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and, uh, disagree with you there...

Actual leadership is rare. Most coaches, GMs, front office staff, are largely interchangeable. Some are not.

It's far easier to get players to perform when you can convince them that (a) you know what it takes, and (b) you know how to get them there.

Brindy has that. He won a Cup, in Raleigh, and he did it by working his ass off and never taking shortcuts.

Organizational culture is really, really, really important. Spending to the cap isn't enough. And Brindy is the guy that has always defined the culture of this org when it's been at its best.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I'm gonna have to go ahead and, uh, disagree with you there...

Actual leadership is rare. Most coaches, GMs, front office staff, are largely interchangeable. Some are not.

It's far easier to get players to perform when you can convince them that (a) you know what it takes, and (b) you know how to get them there.

Brindy has that. He won a Cup, in Raleigh, and he did it by working his ass off and never taking shortcuts.

Organizational culture is really, really, really important. Spending to the cap isn't enough. And Brindy is the guy that has always defined the culture of this org when it's been at its best.

This x10. Rod has major cred with the guys in that he did those things as a player. Most of the reason this team is enjoying this success is the culture HE has built into this team.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Deepfakes have progressed to the point where any weirdo with an app on their phone can upload a photo and do stupid shit like this. It's creepy and I hate it.

It's not the ones made with apps that should creep you out. At least with those, it's got the app watermark on it so it's understood that it's not real.

It's the ones on Facebook or Twitter with no attribution that are the real problem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad