Brighter Future: Edmonton or Toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Your welcome. Matthews is 2nd in league in goals as a D+1 teenager. When was the last time a D+1 teenager has finished in the top two in goals?

Yeah because potentially winning 3 of the most prestigious trophies in the game holds almost the same value as being second in goal scoring.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lucic has played 45% of his 5v5 minutes with McDavid and 37% of his 5V5 minutes with Nuge. Thanks for playing.

I also thought that Lucic's time with Nuge had surpassed McDavids. Its not hard when you consider when Lucic was transferred to Nuge's line. Which was around mid-season. Also keep in mind first line minutes vs second line minutes. Which essentially proves that VainGretzky was right in his assessment, and you are wrong.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I also thought that Lucic's time with Nuge had surpassed McDavids. Its not hard when you consider when Lucic was transferred to Nuge's line. Which was around mid-season. Also keep in mind first line minutes vs second line minutes. Which essentially proves that VainGretzky was right in his assessment, and you are wrong.

Good point. Fewer minutes is actually more minutes because.....reasons.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah because potentially winning 3 of the most prestigious trophies in the game holds almost the same value as being second in goal scoring.

Hey let's not discount Matthews. We must remember he's also just broke into the top 20 in league scoring. Holyyyyy! When is the NHL going to smarten up and start awarding awards for that monumental feet. They can call it the "Valeri Bure" award for that one time he accomplished that insane hockey feet!

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
1) Go to a site like http://www.corsica.hockey/combos/

2) Type in the name "Lucic". Ensure that it is on 5v5 and that the TOI minimum is set to zero.

3) Total up the results.

4) Accept or reject that your biases when you watch the games are not inline with reality.

I don't know the accuracy but Dobber hockey actually lists the % on the player profiles. Combination of McDavid/Lucic at even strength = 49%, Nuge/Lucic at 39%.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Winning the Art Ross + Hart Trophy in your second season at age 19/20 if it happens is a generational player.

There's only two other players who have done that in the 100 year history of the NHL, one of them is Gretzky, the other is Crosby.

And yes IMO Crosby is generational as well, his career has just been short changed by unfortunate injury problems. Probably Pittsburgh should have 3 or 4 Cups too if not for those injuries.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
1) Go to a site like http://www.corsica.hockey/combos/

2) Type in the name "Lucic". Ensure that it is on 5v5 and that the TOI minimum is set to zero.

3) Total up the results.

4) Accept or reject that your biases when you watch the games are not inline with reality.

Why bother. Your argument makes no sense anyways. Why should we use a declining Lucic to prove that McDavid makes players around him better. Everyone and their mom knows this to be true. Maroon and Draisaitl's career years show this to be true. The Oilers fighting for division lead shows this to be true.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I'd like to see proof of this as well.
I remember Maroon being put on Mcdavids wing in the 15th game of the season with Eberle still on RW and Maroon scoring 2 goals. Than Lucic was tried again for a few games than it was back to Maroon.pretty much till now except a few shifts Tmac had blender going and I have watched every game .

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Why bother. Your argument makes no sense anyways. Why should we use a declining Lucic to prove that McDavid makes players around him better. Everyone and their mom knows this to be true. Maroon and Draisaitl's career years show this to be true. The Oilers fighting for division lead shows this to be true.

The argument was that McDavid makes everyone around him better, while Matthews has not made Hyman better. This argument fails as McDavid has not make Lucic better. As Lucic is having a terrible season, perhaps the worst of his career, which includes the time he spent with McDavid.

The argument that a generational player makes everyone around him better was not an argument I made.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I don't know the accuracy but Dobber hockey actually lists the % on the player profiles. Combination of McDavid/Lucic at even strength = 49%, Nuge/Lucic at 39%.
Well Corsica shows McDavid with 500 min with Maroon and 229 min with Lucic 5/5 so where in the hell does he get 45% with McDavid and 37 % with Nuge :laugh: He has played more min with Nuge then McDavid and Maroon has played more then double the 5/5 min as Lucic with McDavid . I knew I smelled BS ty for playing.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Winning the Art Ross + Hart Trophy in your second season at age 19/20 if it happens is a generational player.

There's only two other players who have done that in the 100 year history of the NHL, one of them is Gretzky, the other is Crosby.

And yes IMO Crosby is generational as well, his career has just been short changed by unfortunate injury problems. Probably Pittsburgh should have 3 or 4 Cups too if not for those injuries.

Generational talent, of course. But the term generational player should be reserved for those that have maintained it over a long period of time.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well Corsica shows McDavid with 500 min with Maroon and 229 min with Lucic 5/5 so where in the hell does he get 45% with McDavid and 37 % with Nuge :laugh: He has played more min with Nuge then McDavid and Maroon has played more then double the 5/5 min as Lucic with McDavid . I knew I smelled BS ty for playing.

FWIW Dobber also lists Maroon/McDavid at 72%

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Generational talent, of course. But the term generational player should be reserved for those that have maintained it over a long period of time.

Seems kinda like splitting hairs at this point. If you are 19/20 and you're winning the freaking Art Ross and Hart trophy against a Sidney Crosby who's still in his 20s no less ... you are a player of a caliber that this league has seen maybe 3-4 times total in its entire history.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Good god. His argument is flimsy at best even when relying on the stats he provided. Now we find out he just LIED his way into having an argument :amazed:.

Cmon Leafs fans this is starting to get sad. :shakehead

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I will also say in this comparison I think the Oilers D-Corps is being underrated.

The Oilers goals against is 7th overall in the league, so it's easily in the upper 1/3 of the entire NHL.

And it's not Talbot solely, the Oilers had Talbot last year and they finished near the bottom of the league for GA.

The D is making the difference.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You asked how many season ending injuries he had. Without the injury the only trophy he would have won was (probably) the Calder.

And he would have still been in top 4 in league scoring. As a ROOKIE. :yo:

Something Matthews isn't even CLOSE to.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
FWIW Dobber also lists Maroon/McDavid at 72%

Theses arguments are stupid anyways Matthews makes his linemates better so does McDavid and the funny thing is is I think Marner is the most talented Leaf and the one I like to watch the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad