Brighter Future: Edmonton or Toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Too early to call. Right now the Oilers have an edge on the blueline and are primed to do damage in the playoffs. The Leafs need to bolster their defence core to get to that next level.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I'm sure the two fanbases involved will have a very cordial and objective discussion on the matter at hand.

Haha, I saw this and my first thought was "How long until the poop starts getting slung?"

Both teams have bright futures, and it's really up to the management of both teams to not screw it up at this point. Both have holes that can be filled, and both will need to find ways to keep their cores intact once the ELCs are done. I think that will be the true test of which has a better future, whoever is able to keep more of their core together in a couple years without dropping too far off in depth.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Oilers. Much better D and McDavid > Matthews, Draisaitl > Marner. Talbot is probably a better goalie than Andersen too.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Starting next year we'll meet in the finals every year for the next 20 seasons. Leafs win 11/20, Oilers 9. So I guess the Leafs have a brigjter future!

In all honesty they are 2 groups with probably the best future because at the moment it looks like both Matthews and McDavid will be top 5 players in the league (McDavid #1) and both teams have other great players (Draisaitl & Pulju v Marner and Nylander in particular). As a Leaf fan i would trade any one person on my team for McDavid obviously, but I wouldn't trade my team for theirs. However, I can understand if somebody would.... cuz McDavid.

Kriswin

Feb 17, 2017
Well I mean, if you read the "McDavid is the best player in the world" thread, Leafs fans have said that Matthews is better than McDavid because McDavid is only at 30 goals, whereas Matthews is at 40. Probably some lame attempt at rationalizing why the Oilers are more improved than the Leafs this year.

But I think the weather forecast was salty with a side of O-dog (more salt and incompetence). I'll take Edmonton on this one.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Honestly its a tough one. Toronto if they can land a top pairing D without giving up Nylander or Marner. That 3 headed monster could be unreal in the future. Then they have good goaltending and good middle pairing depth at D. They also have good prospects

For Edmonton they already have their D core set for next 5 years. Klefbom/Larsson will continue to go into beasts on the back end. Sekera is a prime aged vet, Nurse is turning into a stud and Benning is something special. One thing to consider with Edmonton is they have a bluechip prospect in Puljujarvi not even on the team and they are doing this could. For me I have JP as having higher upside than Draisaitl. They actually have some really good prospects now as well thanks to Chiarelli

So ill say its pretty even right now. Ill re-evaluate after Toronto makes a move to improve D- thatll make it go either way

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's a wash until either team proves otherwise IMO.

Having a generational talent matters a lot, but the Penguins with their generational talent(Crosby) were still in the same cup winning tier as the Hawks and the Kings.

Both teams are still far from finished products.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The oilers are one solid top 4D (Green type D) away from being cup favourites for a long time IMO. Toronto has more holes to fill.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd say edmonton until Toronto gets some stud dmen

Eh, their defense has been comparable to ours this season. I mean, Klefbom/Larsson/Sekera isn't better than Rielly/Zaitsev/Gardiner, especially when McDavid isn't on the ice.

Really it comes down to:

McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH/Eberle & Talbot

compared to

Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Kadri & Andersen

And then add prospects to it, plus a sane GM and a better coach? I wouldn't trade the next 10 years of the Leafs straight up for the Oil's next 10 years.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The oilers are one solid top 4D (Green type D) away from being cup favourites for a long time IMO. Toronto has more holes to fill.

Toronto has one real hole to fill, and that's a top Dman.

Obviously that is no easy hole to fill but there really isn't any other glaring hole on the team.

In saying that, the Leafs haven't made crazy attempts to address that problem yet, so I'd imagine they'll be working on that moving forward.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
As the rosters are currently constructed, I'd quite easily take Edmonton. I feel they have a big edge on defense and a slight edge in net while being maybe a little worse on offense. That said, it's hard to predict too far considering I fully expect Toronto to do something with that defense in the next couple seasons which could really sway the argument depending what it costs them to get it done. Also JP in Edmonton is a huge wildcard. If he turns into a Marner/Nylander level player it's hard to go against the Oilers.

apollo678

Oct 21, 2013
I would say that Edmonton is ahead in the short term. But I think this Leafs' management group may be the one to finally take advantage of Toronto's massive market advantages. Unlimited dollars. The largest hockey stage. Ontario provides the most star players to the league - make it great and safe for them to play at home.
I hope that Rogers and Bell continue to realize that winning sports teams are great for their bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad