GDT: Bridgeport Sound Tigers @ Toronto Marlies: 4.28.16|7:30 - Sweep Sweep Sweep

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Great comeback from the guys and a great atmosphere at Ricoh! I'll be putting my refund for gaes 4 and 5 towards round 2 tickets for sure.

That Nylander pass on Carrick's 3rd goal.... Jaw-dropping.

Kapanen displayed a burst of speed after a Bridgeport turnover at the Marlies blue line and had left everyone behind by the time he crossed their blue line. Incredible speed. Would have been a beautiful goal.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Said it from the start that the Winnie trade was our best. Carrick looks like a 4D to me in the making.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Omg. that was such an amazing game. The atmosphere was electric. Even when we were down 4-1, the whole place was still very positive. the Gibson cheers were hilariously funny because it was at first, like wha tyou normally do - razz the goalie. then it was just getting louder, and louder, to the point where, regardless of what happened, it was just. GIIBBB....SOONNNN.... GIIIBBB...SOOONNNNNNNN.

my thoughts on the players really haven't changed from the last time I went to the game. Freddy is literally heads above everyone (he actually smiled and waved at me. though - maybe he was just i dunno. being nice, but I'll take it). Everyone else looks soooo tiny. I also met Kyle Dubas. He's really polite. I THINK I saw Shanahan way before the game but i wasn't sure.

but yah.. it really was an amazing game and I am hoping I can go again, though I doubt I'll be able to get seats amazing as I had - (i was right at ice level, on the visitor end, so I got to basically see the entire comeback :laugh: )

hahaha the Gibson chants were amazing. So loud in there in the third period

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Carrick wasn't that great defensively but his offense was insane

54.8% Corsi 5v5 with a basically even ZSO%Rel (+0.8%) for a rookie defenceman is actually pretty great. His team generated 28 more scoring chances than the opponent when he was on the ice. Shots-wise, he was actually pretty decent at suppressing them -- 26.3 per 60min, quite a bit better than the Leafs' team-wide 30.6. Over a full season, that'd probably work out to about 10 GA lower.

Winnik was a really useful player. No, we didn't rob Washington -- at least that's not evident yet. But we gave up a quality player to get a quality player who was younger, and served a better positional need.

Really happy as a Leafs fan, and as a secondary Capitals fan.

Number13

May 21, 2007
People need to chill about Carrick, we won't know how good the deal is for another couple years.

Not really. Both teams already won the trade. We've landed a very promising prospect for our future and a pick, the Caps got a player that can help them now in the playoffs.

There's nothing wrong with being excited about a recently acquired d-man prospect who puts up 5 points to eliminate a team in the playoffs. It was a good deal for both sides.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
People need to chill about Carrick, we won't know how good the deal is for another couple years.

Not really...he's only 22 and showed some promise with the Leafs. Now just had a terrific game. He has top 4 potential for sure. Crazy to think he's only a year older than Rielly. What a terrific trade Lou pulled off.

Not every trade takes 2 or 3 years to blossom into a final verdict. The Leafs got terrific value for Winnik. To not only get a 2nd rounder in the deal we also got a young talented D-Man that likely was expendable by Washington. It's a win win deal

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I love Carrick. Wanted him so bad before the deal happened and was pumped when we got him. In 1 of my here's what we should do lineup projections I made a trade for him+ where Bozak was going the other way, it was a worse deal, so I was so psyched we got him and a 2nd for much less.

Both teams won the deal.

Sure in 7 years you can look back on it in hindsight and if Carrick busts the 2nd busts and Winnik puts up 50 points next year and Washington wins both cups people will say in hindsight that Washington won. Or if Winnik becomes worse than Laich, Carrick becomes a top pairing D-man and we draft a future vezina winner with the pick we win in a landslide in hindsight

But that's not really how deals work. You look at your needs at the time and see if the trade met them. Carrick wasn't going to get a chance in Washington and the Caps 2nd isn't that much to give, they got an upgrade with cap room, assets well spent. We got a solid prospect and another dart at the draft board for cap space and a player that wasn't here long term. It was an excellant deal to make, for both teams, and 1 team getting lucky in hindsight shouldn't change that

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
I'm not really sure why Carrick gets so much love here while Brennan gets the cold shoulder, both have offensive upside but are pretty weak defensively. Carrick gets a hatrick and it's "top 4 Dman! Woohoo!", Brennan scores more goals than any Defenseman in the AHL and it's "Bum! career AHLer!". The shiny new toy gets a pass for being a weak defensman I suppose.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Brennan is 27. He is what he is. Carrick is 21, there's this thing called development, getting better, not sure if you've heard of it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not really sure why Carrick gets so much love here while Brennan gets the cold shoulder, both have offensive upside but are pretty weak defensively. Carrick gets a hatrick and it's "top 4 Dman! Woohoo!", Brennan scores more goals than any Defenseman in the AHL and it's "Bum! career AHLer!". The shiny new toy gets a pass for being a weak defensman I suppose.

It's not how the look in the AHL but the NHL. Carrick was fine, Brennan was over his head.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014

With all due respect, there's a considerable difference between the two. Brennan has had numerous opportunities to break into the NHL with various teams. He kind of is what he is. Even at the AHL level he's fairly transparent. He's got one heck of a shot, and some decent puck moving ability, but that's about it. Carrick's got that, plus a more mature overall game which has allowed him to stick in the NHL for a few stints thus far. Does he need to get stronger, yes. But that should come with time.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
One can skate, one can't. Tough to be an offensive defenseman in the NHL with no transition game.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

Brennan is 27. He is what he is. Carrick is 21, there's this thing called development, getting better, not sure if you've heard of it.

Plus Carrick is already better defensively than Brennan, at the NHL level. He's also a lot more physical. There is a ton of room for improvement for Carrick.

Brennan is what he is, absolutely abysmal defensively. We saw this when they both played for the Leafs this year.

This shiny new toy does indeed get a pass and not because it's shiny.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
it literally takes nothing to be better defensively than brennan, that guys D is insanely bad

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
54.8% Corsi 5v5 with a basically even ZSO%Rel (+0.8%) for a rookie defenceman is actually pretty great. His team generated 28 more scoring chances than the opponent when he was on the ice. Shots-wise, he was actually pretty decent at suppressing them -- 26.3 per 60min, quite a bit better than the Leafs' team-wide 30.6. Over a full season, that'd probably work out to about 10 GA lower.

Winnik was a really useful player. No, we didn't rob Washington -- at least that's not evident yet. But we gave up a quality player to get a quality player who was younger, and served a better positional need.

Really happy as a Leafs fan, and as a secondary Capitals fan.

I'm speaking from the eye test and not statistics. Not saying he was terribad. I'm just saying he was mediocre. At best he will be a #4 guy and there's nothing wrong with that

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
One can skate, one can't. Tough to be an offensive defenseman in the NHL with no transition game.

Ones 27, the other 22.

If carrick scored 5 points in the ahl at 27... I don't think many people would be caring so much.

Kinda like arcobello, he tore it up, but because of his age, it's not as exciting.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Ones 27, the other 22.

If carrick scored 5 points in the ahl at 27... I don't think many people would be caring so much.

Kinda like arcobello, he tore it up, but because of his age, it's not as exciting.

Less about points, or age. If you simply watch both, and the marlies on a consistent basis (not applying to you, just in general), they're radically different. I have a feeling there are alot of boxscore snipers trying to prop up Brennon without providing alot of substance behind those numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad