GDT: Bridgeport Sound Tigers @ Toronto Marlies: 4.28.16|7:30 - Sweep Sweep Sweep

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This is going to be one exciting game! :)

Apparently it's almost all sold out.
Information throughout the day (I know Budsfan/Seer are all up on here!) :)

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
You realize how well Toronto supports the Marlies when you see nobody at the Bridgeport Sound arena to support their team.

Ricoh will set the standard for AHL crowd participation today I'm sure. Hats off to everyone going down to watch.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
You realize how well Toronto supports the Marlies when you see nobody at the Bridgeport Sound arena to support their team.

Ricoh will set the standard for AHL crowd participation today I'm sure. Hats off to everyone going down to watch.

If they keep going I wonder if they will switch to the ACC? Baring conflicts with the Raptors of course.

Mad Brills*

I assume with raptors (hopefully at least 2 more home games) + concerts, it's hard to fit more than 1 or 2 games in there.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If they keep going I wonder if they will switch to the ACC? Baring conflicts with the Raptors of course.

I think it would be awesome if they did. Can you imagine 19,000 at an AHL playoff game in Toronto! Gary Bettman should be embarrassed not considering the GTA or southern Ontario for another NHL team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think it would be awesome if they did. Can you imagine 19,000 at an AHL playoff game in Toronto! Gary Bettman should be embarrassed not considering the GTA or southern Ontario for another NHL team.

19k? I don't think they would even come close to that.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
marlies15-16_playoffs_rd1gm3preview1024x512-768x384.jpg

marlies15-16_playoffs_rd1gm3preview1024x512

Game 3 of the Toronto Marlies first round, best-of-five series against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers is set for Thursday evening at 7:30pm at Ricoh Coliseum. The Marlies currently lead the series 2-0 over the Sound Tigers.

Toronto defeated the Sound Tigers by a score of 3-0 in Game 2 on Sunday in Bridgeport. Connor Brown scored twice, including the game winning goal while shorthanded. He was named the game’s first star. Garret Sparks turned aside all 31 shots directed his way to earn his first professional shutout in the post season. Josh Leivo assisted on the final Marlies goal, giving him points in back to back contests. The assist also moves Leivo into second among Marlies all time playoff assist leaders with 14.

Practice Notes: April 27, 2016

Chris Lund
April 27, 2016

Soshnikov day-to-day

The Marlies will likely be without Nikita Soshnikov on Thursday night when they take on the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in Game Three of their first round Calder Cup playoff matchup. Soshnikov, as he often does, found himself in the midst of some rough-and-tumble play through the first two games of the series. After coming away from the weekend with a knock it appears the plan is to hold him out of action for the time being to help facilitate a full recovery.

"We're not expecting him to be available for him tomorrow," said Marlies head coach Sheldon Keefe. "It's just minor, we don't expect him to be out for too long but we're going to give him a day tomorrow."

Injuries frequently open windows of opportunity and it appears that Colin Smith will be the beneficiary in this instance. He did not suit up for the Marlies in Games One or Two in Bridgeport.

Smith recorded seven goals and 22 points in 23 games with the Marlies following his trade to Toronto on Feb. 21.

Loov slated to return

Viktor Loov is expected to return to the lineup for the Toronto Marlies in place of Rinat Valiev on Thursday night. Loov played a pair of games for the Marlies during their final weekend doubleheader of the season against Rochester. It was his first action in a Marlies uniform since March 6 prior to an injury sustained on a recall with the Maple Leafs.

The club is looking forward to having him patrol the blueline once again in the post-season.

"Vik gives us size and some strength and speed back there -- his ability to go back and get pucks and get them going up the rink," said Keefe. "We wanted to get him a little further up the lineup today in practice and see how he would do and make a decision going into tomorrow."

"Going into it we felt it was important to have Viktor as part of our team and we're happy to have him back in the mix."

Loov recorded three goals and 15 points in 55 games with the Marlies this season.

Carrick settling into Toronto after whirlwind season

Connor Carrick found himself Toronto-bound late in the evening of Feb. 28 ahead of the NHL's Trade Deadline in the deal that also saw veteran forward Brooks Laich join the Maple Leafs in exchange for Daniel Winnik.

Carrick recorded a pair of goals and four points in 16 games for the Maple Leafs before being loaned to the Marlies on March 31, where he had a goal and three points in five games with the club to wrap up the season. The Marlies are his fourth stop this season following stints with the Washington Capitals, Hershey Bears and Maple Leafs.

Through the first two games of the series, Carrick was a consistent contributor on the ice for the Marlies, creating plays out of the back-end and picking up a pair of assists in Game One against the Sound Tigers. After a hectic season between two leagues and four teams, Carrick is finally settling in to life in Toronto and the results are showing on the ice.

"It's awesome, it's a great city, I've settled in," said Carrick. "You don't want to get sent down ever, that's the name of the game, but absolutely it's -- you get to take a little bit of a deep breath, 'Okay, it's in the same city, the rink is 10 minutes away, I'm staying in the same spot, no big deal.' You just kind of re-rack and get back after it."

"It's been a blast, I love it."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad