Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
A few things:
- Wouldn't be surprised in the least if Visnovsky is re-upped for another season as a 40-55 game player who'll still contribute 10-15 PP points.
- Hickey will likely seek and command 2.5 mil per. Someone will likely give it to him. Dunno if it's the Isles, but if he's affordable and doesn't want 'years' right away, then he's a very good guy to have around.
- Love him or hate him, not many teams have a #7 like Strait who you can so easily plug in and out of the line-up. Every team needs several guys like that.
- I think he needs one more complete year of AHL hockey, but Mayfield is going to be everything Snow had HOPED Carkner would be, when he signed him. #6/7 Dman with narl and bite. In addition, he's long been a better skater. The ability to fight better will come. Gonna be a nice kid to have hanging around in the capacity Strait currently is.
Hickey is a RFA so he doesn't have much leverage other than arbitration and the team can walk away from that if they don't like the numbers..

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
I checked that site, but I'm not finding when he's UFA eligible. Am I missing something?

Isn't he UFA after 7 years in the league or 27 years old, whichever comes first?

Hickey is 25 with 3 years of qualified NHL service. I would guess he's a UFA in 2 years based on his age?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Isn't he UFA after 7 years in the league or 27 years old, whichever comes first?

Hickey is 25 with 3 years of qualified NHL service. I would guess he's a UFA in 2 years based on his age?

That's what I was thinking too, but not entirely sure.

If he is 2 years away from UFA, next offseason becomes decision time for his possible long term future with this team.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
A few things:
- Wouldn't be surprised in the least if Visnovsky is re-upped for another season as a 40-55 game player who'll still contribute 10-15 PP points.
- Hickey will likely seek and command 2.5 mil per. Someone will likely give it to him. Dunno if it's the Isles, but if he's affordable and doesn't want 'years' right away, then he's a very good guy to have around.
- Love him or hate him, not many teams have a #7 like Strait who you can so easily plug in and out of the line-up. Every team needs several guys like that.
- I think he needs one more complete year of AHL hockey, but Mayfield is going to be everything Snow had HOPED Carkner would be, when he signed him. #6/7 Dman with narl and bite. In addition, he's long been a better skater. The ability to fight better will come. Gonna be a nice kid to have hanging around in the capacity Strait currently is.

About Mayfield, I agree he is going to be a cog on the Islanders in the future if hes not traded but if he does not learn to become a better fighter he is going to get hurt. He should really seek advice from past enforcers (Perfect example a guy like Kip Brennan when on Bport took the guys aside that were interested in learning to be a better fighter and did such). Also he should take some boxing, self protection classes.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
About Mayfield, I agree he is going to be a cog on the Islanders in the future if hes not traded but if he does not learn to become a better fighter he is going to get hurt. He should really seek advice from past enforcers (Perfect example a guy like Kip Brennan when on Bport took the guys aside that were interested in learning to be a better fighter and did such). Also he should take some boxing, self protection classes.

Coming from college, he's a bit behind the 8 ball when it comes to fighting. He seems like he's willing and able so hopefully - as you suggest - he takes the time in the offseason to work on his fighting.

I vaguely recall a few years ago watching something on Martin where he practiced his fighting - perhaps in the form of boxing. Maybe Carkner is teaching him something?

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
Coming from college, he's a bit behind the 8 ball when it comes to fighting. He seems like he's willing and able so hopefully - as you suggest - he takes the time in the offseason to work on his fighting.

I vaguely recall a few years ago watching something on Martin where he practiced his fighting - perhaps in the form of boxing. Maybe Carkner is teaching him something?

I think it may have been Trevor Gillies with MM in Bport back in the day.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm hoping Matt Carkner is having a positive impact dow in Bridgeport, especially on Mayfield.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
It was Joel Rechlicz that was teaching MM how to fight in the pros.

Good stuff. Just found this:
Here are some notes and quotes from the final day of Prospects Camp.

* Following the scrimmage, Joel Rechlicz and Sarnia Sting forward Matt Martin stayed on the ice for some fighting practice.

"Joel was teaching me how to fight guys that are his size," sad Martin, who is two years younger and three inches shorter. "There's this one big guy in the OHL who just runs around and tries to fight. Joel gave me some pointers in order to give me a better advantage against him when we fight."
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=465791

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Syracuse is a solid team too right? Anyway, good to see Williams start off his pro career with a win! :yo:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Syracuse is a solid team too right? Anyway, good to see Williams start off his pro career with a win! :yo:

Pulock with 1g 1a too.

Reinhart and Pulock could see some time in the playoffs as black aces... as long as Capuano is smart enough to see that Strait and Hickey are liabilities after the 1st game.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Pulock with 1g 1a too.

Reinhart and Pulock could see some time in the playoffs as black aces... as long as Capuano is smart enough to see that Strait and Hickey are liabilities after the 1st game.

Imagine those two come in and provide a spark like that defenseman did for the Bruins Cup run. Can't remember the name.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Imagine those two come in and provide a spark like that defenseman did for the Bruins Cup run. Can't remember the name.

Subban broke out in the playoffs the year Halak went on that run I believe. It would be huge to add Pulock's offense from the blueline and Reinhart's size (and hopefully defensive acumen and even some meaness).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Williams and Motte doing what Poulin could not do with the STs. WIN.

Nice to see Williams make 30 saves and get a win in his pro debut. Hopefully he's the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad