Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don't know SI90, it could be as early as next season. I think both Reinhart and Pulock will finish next season in the NHL. If de Haan continues to pack on some more muscle, Leddy could technically be the smallest d-man we have next season.

Both Reinhart and Pulock had over 250+ WHL games and now a full AHL season under their belts. For the most part, they are NHL ready and the only way their games are going to progress is to actually be in the NHL. They fit our needs like a glove and they'll thankfully push out the placeholders (Hickey Mouse and Strait) sooner rather than later IMO.

Don't count out Mayfield either, he could be the most NHL ready of the bunch at this point and time. Hopefully he gets some pugilism training over the summer though.

I agree PW about next year. When I say 2-3 years I mean when they are really starting to get comfortable and hit the ground running. I'm sure 21 year old Griff and Pulock will be solid but 24-25 year old versions we will know what we have and hopefully they are as advertised.

Taking my disgust away from Strait and Hickey and trying to be completely objective, I'd rather go down with Pulock and Griff this year than with Strait and hickey. Hopfuy we can win a round but if we need a shakup I hope Cappy hAs the stones to play one of them. Kinda like Nelson in his NHL debut. But Nelson didn't have a full season of pro hockey that year IIRC(Lockout).

My gut tells me that the shakup will consist of deHann and/or Donovan though.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I don't know SI90, it could be as early as next season. I think both Reinhart and Pulock will finish next season in the NHL. If de Haan continues to pack on some more muscle, Leddy could technically be the smallest d-man we have next season.

Both Reinhart and Pulock had over 250+ WHL games and now a full AHL season under their belts. For the most part, they are NHL ready and the only way their games are going to progress is to actually be in the NHL. They fit our needs like a glove and they'll thankfully push out the placeholders (Hickey Mouse and Strait) sooner rather than later IMO.

Don't count out Mayfield either, he could be the most NHL ready of the bunch at this point and time. Hopefully he gets some pugilism training over the summer though.

You mean Scott "Perpetual Black Eye" Mayfield ? I like him as well, needs to go Ken Morrow style, play good defense and forget the fighting. I would love in a few years

Leddy-Boychuck
Hamonic-De Haan
Pulock-Reinhart
Mayfield-Pelech.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if a FA dman replaces Visnofsky next year.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Posting this because it has a tie to the prospects, this is in no way a complaint or second guess because it is a non issue. Just shows why good drafting is important, in this case the Islanders benefited in trade.
The other defenseman on the AHL all rookie team is Ville Pokka.

Le Grec pointed out that we can likely expect one of Griff or Pulock to make the team at the start of next year, question is which one and who do you pair him with. While both have strenghts the defense needs, kind of think the more pressing need at first is more on the defensive side with Griff.

Very possible what PW said, both could be in the NHL at the end of next year. Or what Scott says, could sign a free agent to buy a little more development time. Several options and good ones.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Pokka is going to be a good player, but you have to give to get, and getting Leddy for Pokka is an absolute steal.

Definitely.

If Pokka ever reaches the level Leddy is at currently, this is still a good deal for the Islanders simply because they needed a defenseman this year.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Pokka is going to be a good player, but you have to give to get, and getting Leddy for Pokka is an absolute steal.

Completely agree...

I just think it's interesting that both could have been on the same team this year, with Reinhart...

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Definitely.

If Pokka ever reaches the level Leddy is at currently, this is still a good deal for the Islanders simply because they needed a defenseman this year.

well put. And Leddy is much better than I thought he was going to be.

How would you like to be the Pens and give up Despres for Loveyjoy - wow! Pro-scouting napping in Pitts.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

How would you like to be the Pens and give up Despres for Loveyjoy - wow! Pro-scouting napping in Pitts.

One more thing I'll add. I don't foresee Pokka's skating ever reaching the ability to that of Leddy's.

Pittsburgh's been almost as much of a wreck as us this second half. Still the same issues there.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Still can't believe they made that trade. They more or less traded Despres for a 5th rounder.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Not trying to dampen anyone's spirits but being an AHL Allstar is not a prelude to being an NHL player. There are a lot of AHL Allstars that never stick in the NHL. Dustin Jeffrey was an AHL Allstar.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Not trying to dampen anyone's spirits but being an AHL Allstar is not a prelude to being an NHL player. There are a lot of AHL Allstars that never stick in the NHL. Dustin Jeffrey was an AHL Allstar.

While no accomplishment at the AHL is an indication that anyone is a guaranteed NHLer, typically, playing well at the AHL level bodes better for one's odds than not playing well.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
While no accomplishment at the AHL is an indication that anyone is a guaranteed NHLer, typically, playing well at the AHL level bodes better for one's odds than not playing well.

Doubley so if you do it at pulock's age. He scored more goals in less games this year than jeffrey did his rookie year, as a dman!

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

You're right. Not sure what that has to do with being named to the *AHL's all rookie team* though....

Past winners, for reference:

Zdeno Chara (1998)
J.S. Giguere (1998)
Marc Savard (1998)
Daniel Briere (1998)
Dan Boyle (1999)
Cory Sarich (1999)
Barret Jackman (2002)
Ron Hainsey (2002)
Jason Spezza (2003)
Brad Boyes (2003)
Cam Ward (2005)
Thomas Vanek (2005)
Rene Bourque (2005)
Kevin Bieksa (2005)
Jimmy Howard (2006)
Dan Girardi (2006)
Mike Green (2006)
Jaroslav Halak (2007)
Troy Brouwer (2007)
Ryan Callahan (2007)
Bobby Ryan (2008)
Teddy Purcell (2008)
Brian Boyle (2008)
Alex Goligoski (2008)
Nathan Gerbe (2009)
Justin Abdelkader (2009)
John Carlson (2010)
P.K. Subban (2010)
Logan Couture (2010)
Lars Eller (2010)
Eddie Lack (2011)
Brendan Smith (2011)
Gustav Nyquist (2012)
Tyler Johnson (2012)
Justin Schultz (2013)
Sami Vatanen (2013)
Jason Zucker (2013)
Tyler Toffoli (2013)
Ryan Strome (2014)
Teemu Pulkkinen (2014).

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
One more thing I'll add. I don't foresee Pokka's skating ever reaching the ability to that of Leddy's.

Absolutely!

Leddy is a tremendous, tremendous skater - in all ways. I had no idea he was THAT good. Speed, agility, balance, he's got the whole package...

Have seen Pokka a lot internationally. Can't imagine his skating will ever come close to Leddy.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

That's probably very true.

More interesting though is that many ALL-ROOKIE TEAM AHLers do end up etching out a spot for themselves in the NHL.

That is usually a promising sign.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
That's probably very true.

More interesting though is that many ALL-ROOKIE TEAM AHLers do end up etching out a spot for themselves in the NHL.

That is usually a promising sign.
Recent all-rookie AHLers:

John Carlson (2010), P.K. Subban (2010), Logan Couture (2010), Lars Eller (2010), Eddie Lack (2011), Brendan Smith (2011), Gustav Nyquist (2012), Tyler Johnson (2012), Cory Conacher (2012), Justin Schultz (2013), Sami Vatanen (2013), Jason Zucker (2013) and Tyler Toffoli (2013).

I agree with you. All-rookie AHL means something, especially at the age of 20. Pulock had 17 goals in 48 games. PK Subban had 18 goals over the whole season when he was an AHL rookie - and BP sucked this year.

Last edited:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
BP lost to Syracuse last night, 4-3 in OT, in Syracuse.

Syracuse has the 3rd best record in the East.
BP leading 3-1 after 2, so it seems that they have just as much luck with the same crappy defensive system when 'trying' to hold a lead. Pulock 1 assist, +1. Reinhart all 0's. outshot 38-24. 3 penalties for Syracuse, 7 for BP. Motte in net.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
BP lost to Syracuse last night, 4-3 in OT, in Syracuse.

Syracuse has the 3rd best record in the East.
BP leading 3-1 after 2, so it seems that they have just as much luck with the same crappy defensive system when 'trying' to hold a lead. Pulock 1 assist, +1. Reinhart all 0's. outshot 38-24. 3 penalties for Syracuse, 7 for BP. Motte in net.

Between the Isles-Pens, Oshawa Niagara forgot about Bridgeport. They play again tonight, probably Williams in goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad