Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

A simple request Homeland if it is not difficult, Made two posts this afternoon about my trip to see Bridgeport in Utica last night. Some of the guys asked me to watch certain players, the posts are a bit lengthy and I would rather not re type them. For the guys who wanted to read it, can you please re post it here? They are the last page (41) posts number 1001 and 1003 of the old thread. It would be easier for the guys to find it, if not I will redo them.

Thanks, Rex.

Last edited:

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
Here is the first part of the report from last nights game which Bridgeport won at Utica 5-3.

Sundstrom-Nice big guy in the middle, the good thing about him is he can fill in any forward spot. He is steady and reliable, does all the little things in his own end, did. Quiet night offensively, the good thing is he can help his team even if he does not get a lot of points and he did that. If he can pick up his scoring great if not he can be a very useful third liner.

Mayfield-For my eyes he was what I wanted to see and in his case less is more. Hate to pin a player into a role early in his career. Mayfield will never gets a lot of points, don't see.a great deal of ability offensively. Skating is fine, decent enough shot but to be effective, simple is best. He moved the puck OK and made the plays he needed to. The Islanders have other D prospects who move the puck better so his role is defense. He did a good job keeping players away from around the net and putting the body on them, even if it's just riding them out of the play. .He is on a more slow steady track, would expect he needs at least next year in the AHL.

Halmo- Pleasantly surprised with his play. Skating, hockey sense is very good. Very responsible two way player. Game tonight was not very physical so did not see the big hits he is known for. Goal he scored was going to the crease, found Lee's rebound for Bridgeport's third goal? Beautiful touch pass to set up Strome's goal. I think he can play, could be only as a 4th liner, however if he keeps playing well they must give him a look at some point. He gets called a Haley type, I think he he has more skill than that. Was the third star of the game.

Donovan-We know crazy things go on with the Islanders and what happened before he was sent down one thing for sure, think he lost all his confidence. He looked more like the prospect who we thought was ready for the NHL. He was relaxed, made good decisions, reads ect. He was not hesitating shooting the puck and was hitting the net, not shanking anything. Fairly conservative rushing the puck, the one time he went in deep what's when he got up from behind the net and scored off a Lee rebound. Confidence is back where it should be, helps to away from our great NHL coach. He'll get another chance.

Lee-Skating could limit him somewhat but was keeping up with the pace of the game just fine last night. Both assists were rebounds off his shots, the first was the most notable, a hard one timer which the Utica goalie could not handle and was put in by Halmo. Islanders need a player with his size to battle in the corners, along the boards and he does that. Shot is very good and gets in position for scoring chances. Defensively he was good, he had some problems last year in the two games he played but was always good at both Notre Dame and in the USHL.

While you read this will start working on the next post on Strome. Please remember the above was only from a one game look on my part.

This was the main reason for a short trip to Utica (a night was a nice change) was to watch Strome. Going to compare him to when I saw him in junior last season. First thing that stood out was how far his skating has come. When drafted, he was shifty, no burst of speed. Thought he made good strides last year yet could improve more. Take a look at the video on the Bridgeport or pointblank websites, Strome could not skate well enough to score that kind of goal at the AHL level before this year.

Sorry everyone, forget about playing RW with JT for now, and maybe long term Strome is not a grinding type player and would rather play him where he has the most room. He can be a top playmaker and he does lead the AHL. He was credited with the second assist on Halmo's goal but he set up Lee's one time shot. Last night he was setting teammates up.

Can't remember, his goal last night might have been his only shot on goal but has has the shots, his wrist, slap and one timer are all there and he released the writer nicely.

We have the debates here, good points on both sides to call Strome up now or wait longer. The skills, hockey sense and now skating are not an issue. You can see the JT like work habits, he works extremely hard at the defensive end. He was good on face offs but again last night was a one game and he might get overpowered at first. He stood up for himself, when Peletier ran him, Mayfield came in but then Strome stood up for himself which is something he needed to do and say he will not take it or be intimidated, that is how to earn respect.

There is no recall while the Islanders are on this road trip. I say give Strome a little more time.
The question is can he cope with the more physical and bigger players right now and I'm not sure at this time. The first few games after he does finally get the call, it might be a few games to get confident and getting more involved in traffic areas, that is what he did in junior so this is something to watch when he gets here.

Playing with Halmo and Lee is perfect, they can do most of the grinding allowing Strome to use his skills.
For me here is what must happen for a call up. He must playing a regular shift at center and not with the slugs. No pulling him in and out of the line up. Center is his best position, the one that can benefit the player and team best. He can be used at wing on the powerplay because there is more room and it plays to a strength.He is not a grinding style player and would not start him that way. The skills are there, no denying that. He has to be given the best chance for success. For me his body has to be ready for the NHL, what scares me will the Islander coaches handle him properly.

Not saying what I have written is right or wrong. Some may agree, some not, it does not matter, it is adding to the discussion. Debate on, any questions or comments please do not hesitate to ask.

Here are the two posts from Rex combined into one quote.

I just finished reading them, so I figured I'd save Homeland time

edit: btw, thanks for the recap. i was swinging over to see if i could find any news on Lee as i have been a fan of his. it was nice to get such detailed, eyes on, feedback. cheers

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

edit: btw, thanks for the recap. i was swinging over to see if i could find any news on Lee as i have been a fan of his. it was nice to get such detailed, eyes on, feedback. cheers

Thank you so much for moving it here where the guys can find it easily and glad you enjoyed it. :handclap:

Last edited:

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
A simple request Homeland if it is not difficult, Made two posts this afternoon about my trip to see Bridgeport in Utica last night. Some of the guys asked me to watch certain players, the posts are a bit lengthy and I would rather not re type them. For the guys who wanted to read it, can you please re post it here? They are the last page (41) posts number 1001 and 1003 of the old thread. It would be easier for the guys to find it, if not I will redo them.

Thanks, Rex.

Thanks for the assist!!!

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
all things considered age,development and the way our team has been playing; I would like to see Lee and Strome up when we come back east...

IMHO Strome/Lee>Regin/PMB

Vanek-JT-Okie
Bailey-Nielsen-Grabs
Nelson-Strome-Lee
Martin-Cizikas-CMAC

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Of course Lee & Strome >>>PMB & Regin. Sundstrom is probably >>> McDonald also. but it's not going to happen. The GM isn't going to go to the owner & say that what little $ he was allowed to spend, he spent it on garbage & will now replace that garbage with 2 rookies.

I really believe in the eyes of Snow & Wang the rebuild is over because we made the playoffs last year & now it's all about winning a cup (while not actually acquiring any talent to do so). They're just delusional.

but it's awesome to see Strome and Lee playing so damn well down there.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I wasn't thrilled with Strome's goal scoring when he had four a week or so ago. I posted that I was happy with his performance, but that I expected more scoring (goals). I wish I had waited to post! He really took off after I posted that. He is really dominating play and that is what we would have hoped.

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
Thanks for the assist!!!

Thank you so much for moving it here where the guys can find it easily and glad you enjoyed it. :handclap:

You are welcome guys. I have been following the Islanders close ever since Okposo was drafted. Was thrilled when Lee became an Islander too.

Sounds like Lee is getting it done again tonight. Nice that he and Strome are working well together!

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
You are welcome guys. I have been following the Islanders close ever since Okposo was drafted. Was thrilled when Lee became an Islander too.

Sounds like Lee is getting it done again tonight. Nice that he and Strome are working well together!

Once again thanks, the Lee, Strome Halmo line works well together.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
amazing to see what stromer has done in the last 2 weeks. he was toiling around 10 in scoring for most of the year and then BOOM, leads the league by 3 points. nuts.

Anyone know how he's doing on faceoffs?

to me, lee-strome-nelson makes an infinitely better 3rd line than what we have now...

TexMurphyPI

Feb 11, 2003
Would calling up Strome hinder the progress and development of Lee?

They seem to be playing very well together and while you do need to know if both players can perform while split up, are both players ready for that to happen now or is letting them continue to play well for a while longer better for both in the long run?

Of course the isles could and maybe should waive/trade Regin & Bouchard and call both up.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

They seem to be playing very well together and while you do need to know if both players can perform while split up, are both players ready for that to happen now or is letting them continue to play well for a while longer better for both in the long run?

Of course the isles could and maybe should waive/trade Regin & Bouchard and call both up.

It could potentially make Lee better. Gives him an opportunity to be the go-to guy. I would believe defenses will start keying in on him, which would probably help better prepare him for the NHL.

You could be right though. They could call both up at the same time. Wouldn't be mad either way.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com

I Said It Last Year, Lee And Strome Are Tailor Made For Each Other. Strome Has Always Needed A Big Power Forward With Hands On His Side To Reach Is Full Potential. Lee Benefits From Playing Next To A Legit Sniper That Can Make Brilliant Passes From The Perimeter, And Get The Pick On Net From Any Angle. The Two Together Make Too Much Sense. If They Are Rightfully Called UP Together, The Moron Behind The Bench Would Scratc One Of Them Every Night And Bury The OtherOn The Fourth Line With Limited Special Teams Play ALa Ullstrom And Nelson. Same OL story

Sorry For The Caps, My Phone Is Jacked up.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I Said It Last Year, Lee And Strome Are Tailor Made For Each Other. Strome Has Always Needed A Big Power Forward With Hands On His Side To Reach Is Full Potential. Lee Benefits From Playing Next To A Legit Sniper That Can Make Brilliant Passes From The Perimeter, And Get The Pick On Net From Any Angle. The Two Together Make Too Much Sense. If They Are Rightfully Called UP Together, The Moron Behind The Bench Would Scratc One Of Them Every Night And Bury The OtherOn The Fourth Line With Limited Special Teams Play ALa Ullstrom And Nelson. Same OL story

Sorry For The Caps, My Phone Is Jacked up.

Caps aside, great post.

Nino could have been that winger too. Playing really well this year and tonight vs a huge SJ team. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad