Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
He's only 20. Give the kid the rest of the season and training camp to play Center and lets see what happens. Who knows - maybe he'll take to it. Would be great for roster flexibility if he could step in at Center.
We could certainly use a good center

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I am wary - hard to convert a natural winger.

If anything, it will get him accustomed to playing in his own zone and moving his feet more, two things he can most definitely improve on. I’m surprised they never tried this with Dal Colle to have him work on good habits.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If anything, it will get him accustomed to playing in his own zone and moving his feet more, two things he can most definitely improve on. I’m surprised they never tried this with Dal Colle to have him work on good habits.

Rumor has it that Wang wanted MDC to put on approximately 150 lbs and try him in goal! ;)

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Was reading LHH and it seems Ho-Sang was a monster in his last game, a snapshot of what he could be in the NHL. This coming off the heels of a terrible game and benching...

Posted by user rant6196:

Hey guys I will not be around most of the day today but since my last update was about how bad Josh Ho-Sang played in his last game (he got benched the final 7 minutes), I thought I had to give an update about how GREAT he played last night. Steven linked the story on the game itself in the bits above so I won’t get too much into that, but rather more about how the top prospects played. I have to start with Ho-Sang who was absolutely awesome last night. He may have played his best game I have seen him play. He wound up with 2 assists, but that does not even come close to describing his game. Without exaggeration, he really could have had 2 goals and 4 assists. He was robbed on a great save on one shot attempt and had another great look where his shot just hit the goalie who never even saw the puck coming. Josh Ho-Sang had 5 shots on goal last night! Five!!! There have been times where Ho-Sang has not had 5 SOG over the span of 5 games. Anyway, forget about his shooting because it was his playmaking last night that was amazing. On his first assist he walked out of the corner with the puck, split two defenders and cut into the slot like he was going to shoot and drew a third defender to him and then smoothly slid a pass across the slot to a wide open Bellows who one-timed a slapper from the face-off circle. The goalie made a nice save on Bellows but the rebound fell to Dal Colle standing on the far side of the crease and he was able to muscle the puck into the net. Ho-Sang’s second assist was another beauty. Ho-Sang took a pass from Vande Sompel as he was crossing the blue line with speed, he drew both defenders to him at the top of the left face-off circle and just as he was about to get hit, he somehow stopped on a dime and slid a beautiful pass down to Sebastian Aho who was cutting toward the net from the opposite side of the ice. Aho was all alone in front and was able to slide the puck around the sprawling goalie and slide it into the net. What speed, skating skill, vision and passing by Ho-Sang. Besides those 2 assists, Ho-Sang was setting his teammates up for scoring chances all night. He easily could have and should have had 2-3 more assists. Springfields goalie was really good and prevented that from happening but Ho-Sang made the plays regardless. He was setting up scoring chances pretty much on every shift he was on the ice the whole game. I think his line had 13 SOG.
Anyway, I thought it was only fair that I write about how well Ho-Sang played last night since I told you guys how bad he was in his last game. A lot of people chose to give him a lot of shit when I wrote that so I just want those people to be fair when they are evaluating Ho-Sang. Last night he showed just how talented he is and how much potential he has. He will never be a goal scorer but he has the potential to be an elite playmaker and he can drive a line from the wing by himself. Let’s hope he gets the rest of his game together because he is so much fun to watch when he plays like he did last night.
As far as the other prospects, Devon Toews missed the game with an injury, Dal Colle scored that goal and had some other really good chances on Ho-Sang set-ups. Bellows had the one assist but didn’t really do much else. Aho scored a beauty on the Ho-Sang feed I described above. Vande Sompel had another solid game.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Was reading LHH and it seems Ho-Sang was a monster in his last game, a snapshot of what he could be in the NHL. This coming off the heels of a terrible game and benching...

Posted by user rant6196:
Good to read. I think the biggest thing for Ho-Sang is putting the consistency into his game. You can’t have benchings for poor play in the AHL. If he eliminates those poor performances, he’ll be back up here. We know what he can do.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

Posted by user rant6196:

Thanks for the read. Josh needs to be consistent. My guess is he gets called up when Eberle goes.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Thanks for the read. Josh needs to be consistent. My guess is he gets called up when Eberle goes.
Ho sang since the post article has been a different player. It’s like it clicked finally on how he was really going to get to NHL and it wasn’t by running his mouth it was by just piling up points to where they can’t ignore him and I feel he is ready to come back up. We have Toews and Aho who are ready and Ho sang and MDC who are also ready up front it’s nice problem to have.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Ho sang since the post article has been a different player. It’s like it clicked finally on how he was really going to get to NHL and it wasn’t by running his mouth it was by just piling up points to where they can’t ignore him and I feel he is ready to come back up. We have Toews and Aho who are ready and Ho sang and MDC who are also ready up front it’s nice problem to have.

I think they would want to see JHS before they deal off Eberle.

Koivula centering JHS and MDC today.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Koivula centering JHS and MDC today.

Was just coming to post this. Koivula scored a goal too. BPST lead 3-1 after 1.

Nice to see the kid has been holding his own down the middle. That’s a big boy to have at center. From watching him at tournaments I would never have thought he could play center. Still most likely doesn’t project there long term but it’s good to have flexibility

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Lou probably put the fear of God in him after the article lol.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
In looking at the standings with the GF and GA, BP has given up a ton of goals. Is this a goaltending issue, defensive structure or our dmen are all about offense and leave their goaltenders out to dry?

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
BP wins in OT. It was put up or shut up time for JHS. He’s following through, giving him the credit he deserves.

I know they won’t, but maybe he’s earned a callup for a few games. Think it would be good for the kid. But, where to fit him? Playmaker w Nelson?

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
BP wins in OT. It was put up or shut up time for JHS. He’s following through, giving him the credit he deserves.

I know they won’t, but maybe he’s earned a callup for a few games. Think it would be good for the kid. But, where to fit him? Playmaker w Nelson?
Unless Eberle is moved I don’t see them bringing him up

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
You could do that and scratch Khunackle but I don’t see it. Beau has been hot with Barzal and I doubt they move Eberle to the third line

Beau’s been better, that’s not a product of Barz. It’s a product of himself.

Just spitballing here, this is a message board:

Ebs-Barz-Bailey
Lee-Nelson-JHS
Beau-Filp-Koma
Clutter-CC-MM
Kuhn

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
In looking at the standings with the GF and GA, BP has given up a ton of goals. Is this a goaltending issue, defensive structure or our dmen are all about offense and leave their goaltenders out to dry?
Goaltending has been issue although Gibson has been a lot better lately. The penalty killing has been issue also which has been hurt by the goaltending. I’ve said a lot but really we have four really good NHL defense prospects with two being ready to play now in Toews and Aho. Rathgeb would make five prospects he just can’t get in lineup they are so deep on defense he needs one of the prospects ahead of him to get called up.

Reactions: MJF

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
You could do that and scratch Khunackle but I don’t see it. Beau has been hot with Barzal and I doubt they move Eberle to the third line
I don’t know if you can replace Kuhnhackl with JHS you are losing a lot defensively and with Trotz system really putting defensive emphasis in LW Trotz seems to really trust Kuhnhackl who really hasn’t played badly to just take him out of lineup.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Goaltending has been issue although Gibson has been a lot better lately. The penalty killing has been issue also which has been hurt by the goaltending. I’ve said a lot but really we have four really good NHL defense prospects with two being ready to play now in Toews and Aho. Rathgeb would make five prospects he just can’t get in lineup they are so deep on defense he needs one of the prospects ahead of him to get called up.
Has Smith looked any better than Gibson so far? I saw Smith live once, the 10:30Am game against Binghamton and I don't remember him being tested all that much that morning.

I like Gibson. Saw him a lot last season. I know he had a few shutouts last year. I just don't think he's an NHL goalie. Lacks consistency from game to game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad