Brian Gionta (negotiations w/Habs are underway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Nobody is suggesting signing Gionta long term, not sure where you imagined that one.

If you don't have a top 6 stacked with star players, you need your 3rd line to chip in 40-50 goals to be a good(top 10) team. If you stick a bunch of guys like Prust and Weise with Eller, that line won't score and you'll end up with a team in the bottom 6-10 offensively.

Wanting him to re-sign but assuming he'll sign short term is like people saying they want Vanek only if he signs for 4-5 years at 5-6m. Completely unrealistic IMO. This is his last chance at a big pay day and realistically he's going to try to ask for it...

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
There are plenty of people in this thread however who wouldn't sign Gio for 1 year at 1 mil.

I think the big divide here is that Gio is a good player at the right price, nobody wants to overpay for him. Some people seem to think that Gio is some sort of cancer tho.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
If negotiations are still going on it must mean that Gionta has been offered a contract that he considers too low. IMO Bergevin isn't suddenly going to become generous.

nickd767

May 22, 2014
Ottawa
Source: The score app - Renaud Lavoie

"#Canadiens are hopeful to sign Mike Weaver. They are less hopeful to sign Brian Gionta. He could hit the market July 1st"

cant decide if i am happier about weaver been contacted and gio maybe leaving...or Galchenyuks twin MB just drafted!

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
There are plenty of people in this thread however who wouldn't sign Gio for 1 year at 1 mil.

I think the big divide here is that Gio is a good player at the right price, nobody wants to overpay for him. Some people seem to think that Gio is some sort of cancer tho.

The thing is that we're one of the smallest team up front. It limits our ability to play different types of games. We're not trading DD/Gallagher. Briere has one more year on his deal with a NTC. Gionta is declining hard so he's the obvious guy to cut. Personally I don't find the size of our forwards to be a MAJOR issue. But it certainly is an issue. It's something we ought to look at. As such, I'm not in favor of getting less skilled and bigger but Gionta is losing his skills rapidly and I just think that there's got to be a hidden gem out there who could easily take Gionta's minutes and play much the same role (or even a well known player on the UFA Market like Iginla for example) but able to chip in more offensively, or bring some more size while doing the same as what Gionta currently is doing.

Problem is the leadership side. I don't really know how crucial he is in the room. I'll trust MB to make the right call in regards with him but if we sign him for more than 1 year I'll be pretty mad.

Source: The score app - Renaud Lavoie

"#Canadiens are hopeful to sign Mike Weaver. They are less hopeful to sign Brian Gionta. He could hit the market July 1st"

cant decide if i am happier about weaver been contacted and gio maybe leaving...or Galchenyuks twin MB just drafted!

Good news.

But this does leave us with 2 holes on the wing.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
@EricEngels: Gionta would have to take a considerable discount to remain in Montreal. It's highly unlikely at this point, despite mutual appreciation

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
@EricEngels: Gionta would have to take a considerable discount to remain in Montreal. It's highly unlikely at this point, despite mutual appreciation

This means that Gionta is getting better offers elsewhere. With Vanek and Gionta gone we have 2 major holes to fill on the RW.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

I think a considerable discount is all he's going to get on the open market. There's still a chance he'll be back after July 1st imho.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

pee-wee-herman-tequila-o.gif

:handclap::yo::handclap:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I wouldn't be upset if he's not signed, but we need more from Eller, Bourque, and so on. On top of signing Iginla, if the hockey gods allow us.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The only concern in losing Gionta is the loss of veteran leadership. Other than that, the can easily be replaced. I have a feeling that the Habs are going to have significant leadership turnover this off season. How will the team respond should Gio, Gorges and Moen be sent packing....?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Unsurprisingly, Gionta isn't going to come cheap if he signs. I'm glad Bergevin isn't crazy enough to hand out long term contracts to every veteran just because he has some character.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Unsurprisingly, Gionta isn't going to come cheap if he signs. I'm glad Bergevin isn't crazy enough to hand out long term contracts to every veteran just because he has some character.

Does anyone think Gionta is anything other than a consummate professional mercenary?

He's as much a Hab as he will be a Panther or Hurricane or whatever next season.

I'm glad it looks like we're cutting loose from the guy.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

It's Bergevin's time now to tell Gionta...."What, they are offering you this?" RUN GIO RUN!!!!!!

I don't want him back....but I do hope that the relationship will make Gio comes back to Bergevin to try to have a deal equivalent to what he'll be having elsewhere....We never know...we might not be able to do anything and he might be the best thing left....Not exactly convincing myself here but trying hard....

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Does anyone think Gionta is anything other than a consummate professional mercenary?

He's as much a Hab as he will be a Panther or Hurricane or whatever next season.

you base that on...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Not a Gionta fan....but isn't it what UFA time is? And as far as the team is concerned, when the player isn't UFA...isn't it how the team does business? For us, it's a sport. For them, it's a sport AND a business. Everybody in there is making a living out of it. Not sure why they shouldn't pay attention to the money they'll be making.

It doesn't mean that his intention was not to stay here. Pretty clear that it was the truth. But at one point if the guy still believe he's worth 4M$ and Habs think 2.5....well sorry. Might as well go and see if anybody else would be willing to do it. By no means do I consider myself a mercenary and yet, I'd LOVE to go and see what I'd be worth elsewhere of my little confort zone.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

Man, so much baseless character assassination going on in this thread.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Man, so much baseless character assassination going on in this thread.

Yep, such short short memories on this board. The GTFO crowd are just embarassing themselves, wait till they see their 20+ goal captain get swapped for an 8 goal $3M Kulemin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad