Brian Gionta (negotiations w/Habs are underway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie Thomas

Apr 4, 2003
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun · 5m
Talks ongoing between Habs and Gionta although other teams have called Gionta camp today as interview window opens...

Imagine, that...other NHL teams interested in a 5'7" player!!!

Imagine that mr Scout: better AND worse players than Gionta will get calls from NHL teams today.

Nobody expected Gionta to never find a team again if let go by the Habs. But keep TRYING to look smart.

Pretty sure he will be back in MTL anyway.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
What would this have to do with singing a 35 year old regressing forward long term? 3 years ago he was a 30 goal scorer and Briere had almost 70 points. Age hits fast and hard and with his style of play it's realistic to question whether Gionta will be worth the 4+M long term deal he'll likely be seeking next season let alone long term. This isn't the same as Markov where he's proven to be able to contribute highly on the ice when physically slowing down. Gionta might be a quality 3rd liner next season but at what point do you look at bigger picture and decide long term contract is better spent on a player that may actually be able to be still good near the end of the contract. Eventually Habs aren't going to be able to carry such a huge amount of overpaid 4th line/bench players.

The question is, did they hang up after hearing the contract that 35 year old 5'7'' player wants. :laugh:

Nobody is suggesting signing Gionta long term, not sure where you imagined that one.

If you don't have a top 6 stacked with star players, you need your 3rd line to chip in 40-50 goals to be a good(top 10) team. If you stick a bunch of guys like Prust and Weise with Eller, that line won't score and you'll end up with a team in the bottom 6-10 offensively.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pretty sure he will be back in MTL anyway.

It's not so much about Gionta, but as others here have tried to underscore, it's the rest of our midgetry that makes each extra one tacked on, all the more objectionable.

Last edited:

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun · 5m
Talks ongoing between Habs and Gionta although other teams have called Gionta camp today as interview window opens...

Imagine, that...other NHL teams interested in a 5'7" player!!!

Someone signed Clarkson long term so it is not outside the realm of possibility of other GMs making a mistake.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It's not so much about Gionta, but as others here have tried to underscore, it's the rest of our midgetry that makes each extra one tacked on, all the more objectionable.

Wow "midgetry" what an awesome word! We definitly should eradicate our midgetry.

I wonder if there would be any takers for Briere on the trade market?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I wonder if there would be any takers for Briere on the trade market?

We need to be EXTRA AGGRESSIVE on teams that can't reach the cap floor. Brière to Buffalo for a pick has to happen.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Do you honestly see Briere being traded after 1 year?

He'll be gone after 2 years. Not sure what the big difference is. We tried him, we're moving in another direction. Honestly, I didn't see Brière being played as less as he did this year. You got the guy 4 M$ per and yet, don't play him regularly, and don't play him in tons of offensive situations. THAT I didn,t expect. Trading him once he lived what he had to endure this year....he'd surely welcome it.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

This

If Gio was the only little person I'd take him back on the 3rd line on a reasonable short term deal, just don't see why we re-unite the Fellowship of the Ring with Hobbits and Dwarfs if we have a chance to move forward without at least one of them

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This

If Gio was the only little person I'd take him back on the 3rd line on a reasonable short term deal, just don't see why we re-unite the Fellowship of the Ring with Hobbits and Dwarfs if we have a chance to move forward without at least one of them

Or it could be the theme for next year's Game of Throwns:

Midget-Tossing-World-Champion.png

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
SHOO!!! Get away from here already!

Sincerely, I don't know how comfortable I would be with him back with the C... The guy is speaking to other teams right now, it's gotta mean money is an important part of his decision, maybe even more than loyalty to his old team...

I hope Bergevin lets him do his thing and looks elsewhere. Waste of cap money.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
-1 for Bergevin if he signs Gionta anything over 3 million, shouldn't even be thinking about brining him back anyways

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
-1 for Bergevin if he signs Gionta anything over 3 million, shouldn't even be thinking about brining him back anyways

Yeah, I feel that I'm a big Gionta advocate (relatively to most on the board) and I wouldn't sign him for anything more than 3.5M for 2 years.

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
If gionta and boullion are back next year then I will not be watching this team next season. It would be a clear sign they are picking favorites/buddies and that Therrien has way too much pull.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Do you honestly see Briere being traded after 1 year?

Yes, especially considering he isn't happy on his contribution to the team. Therrien never used him the way he wanted too, 1 year left on his deal, won't hurt teams like Buffalo, Long Island and for them it's a win win, it doesn't work out they move him at next year's deadline and even get something back in return. He would add great leadership to a young team like Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad