Confirmed with Link: Brian Engblom hired as new Sun Sports Color Commentator

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
[NHL]836552&catid=55[/NHL]

Cool little video with the bae Michelle Gingras. The regular season is approaching....:popcorn:

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
We're very fortunate to get Engblom. Will miss the Chief in this role, but looking forward to in game analysis by Engblom.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
So 5 games in, how do you guys like Engblom so far?

I miss Chief for the comedy factor but I like Engblom. He's much more analytical of the game than Chief was and gives more insight into what's happening on the ice. I feel he's still too diplomatic for other teams but maybe it'll ease off when he's commentated a few games.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I agree. Also he seems to be losing his voice a lot. Maybe he's not used to calling so many games?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Engblom is exactly what I've wanted in a color commentator for years. Chief was a joke. He was an unbelievably huge homer and his color commentary gave no insight into the game. He was good for a few cheap laughs and drinking games, that's about it. Engblom is a professional and he is an excellent analyst.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Great stuff. He sounded sick last night though. I would like the homer to come out a little more, but I think that will develop with time ;)

He's great though. Calls it like it is, and has a good mind for the game.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Engblom is better without a doubt but I still miss Chief going off on the refs and the team when either one is doing a terrible job

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Engblom is better without a doubt but I still miss Chief going off on the refs and the team when either one is doing a terrible job

Come on now. Chief went off on the refs whether or not they were doing a terrible job or a wonderful job. Although, I guess in his mind, any penalty vs TB was obviously a terrible reffing job.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Come on now. Chief went off on the refs whether or not they were doing a terrible job or a wonderful job. Although, I guess in his mind, any penalty vs TB was obviously a terrible reffing job.

I miss the "tsssk" at every neutral zone turnover.

TampaBayLightning

The Asterisk Dynasty!
Nov 10, 2013
Tampa
No one will ever replace chief !!!!!
I dreamed of the day that Chief and Esposito sat in the booth together with a bottle of jack .

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Dude is awesome and so professional. I know we all miss Chief but Engblom is far from terrible. Y'all just hate everything.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
He really adds salt to the wound at times when we aren't used to it. Sure it's professional but he isn't on NBCSN anymkre, he can dial it back. He basically is a wolf in sheep's clothing by kicking us while we are down. I thought him stroking Eichel tonight was a bit much...

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
He really adds salt to the wound at times when we aren't used to it. Sure it's professional but he isn't on NBCSN anymkre, he can dial it back. He basically is a wolf in sheep's clothing by kicking us while we are down. I thought him stroking Eichel tonight was a bit much...

This perfectly sums it up. He says the "stuff that rubs salt in the wound" just so matter-of-factly. Damn it Brian, I NEED A HOMER

I want him borderline screaming at the Bolts when they play like ****, or cursing the refs or the other team when something dumb they do happens. I miss Chief for this.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm in the minority but Engblom is quite possibly the best color commentator in the NHL already. There's nothing actually wrong with the guy, he calls the game exactly as it is. The problem is that all of us are just psychologically conditioned to 20 years of Chief being a homer. We're accustomed to "TSSSK!" "AW NOOO!!!" on bad plays "What a terrible call!!!" at referees and unrestrained "homerism".

It's gonna take a very long time for Brian to grow on us because the "Lightning colored glasses" of Bobby Taylor used to fit so nicely. But in about 5 years Lightning fans in general who watch the game every night will have a much more enlightened view of the game from BOTH perspectives.

One night one of us will be in a bar in Canada watching HNIC and we'll be able to say something like, "Erik Karlsson is truly one of the best in the game." The resident Leafs fan turns around and barks **** at you and you will not only be able to dissect his argument but you'll look more intelligent than he will because you'll have listened to 5 years of Brian Englbom detailing both the strengths and weaknesses of his game. He knows the game better than just about anyone. Almost any fan can take his word for truth.

He has all the strengths of being a great mind without getting carried away. I once heard Jon Gruden on MNF call Browns linebacker Jason Trusnik an impact player who would be great one day. I bet none of you ever heard of him. That's Pierre McGuire stuff right there. Brian... not so much

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Bring Chief back! He gave us a voice, it made it so much more enjoyable to watch. I liked the hire at first but no more, Engblom has been given enough time, he's not gonna change.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo

Not true, in fact i'd say he was dead on 80% of the time. He would even sometimes question calls that went in our own favor. This is coming from someone who has been watching Chief since day 1.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Not true, in fact i'd say he was dead on 80% of the time. He would even sometimes question calls that went in our own favor. This is coming from someone who has been watching Chief since day 1.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle, but who cares if he *****ed about the refs? He was a Lightning fan, and you could tell. He loved talking about the players, he loved when things went well, and he hated when things went poorly, and he let you know about it.

Engblom isn't a Lightning fan. Now - a color guy doesn't have to be full on homer like Chief (but I don't mind when they are), however they should at least be a fan. He's not a fan. And that ****ing sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00