Confirmed with Link: Brian Engblom hired as new Sun Sports Color Commentator

Darth Corgi

Dec 23, 2011
Florida
God I miss Chief and his drunken slurs

Amen. Kevin Weekes would of been great. That guy has some energy. I'd take Dinger or Andy at this point Engblom is a nice guy and smart it's just he has the personality of a shooter tutor. It's clear he is a tourist and doesn't give a flipping heck about this team. Rick deserves better and so do we.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
You know what? I don't particularly like Engblom, but I don't miss Chief. And Dinger or Andy would have been a disaster. Probably do need to replace Engblom though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You know what? I don't particularly like Engblom, but I don't miss Chief. And Dinger or Andy would have been a disaster. Probably do need to replace Engblom though.

It's his chemistry with Peckham that's the biggest issue, IMO. With any duo, you usually need one guy with flash, and the other with substance. These guys are both all substance. (Chief, on the other hand, had no substance whatsoever.)

...I feel like there's a Ryan Malone joke in there somewhere.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
It's his chemistry with Peckham that's the biggest issue, IMO. With any duo, you usually need one guy with flash, and the other with substance. These guys are both all substance. (Chief, on the other hand, had no substance whatsoever.)

...I feel like there's a Ryan Malone joke in there somewhere.

I agree completely. Engblom is not a bad sports TV guy but he just doesn't fit in, he really don't. I rather have one of the Boston guys over him.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Chief has been there since almost the inception of the team. I think he joined the broadcast in like '92 or '93. It's impossible not to miss him...most of us grew up with him as part of the Lightning and like most people change is "hard". Chief is most of all a fan of the Lightning - and that is what I miss. One of us sharing and communicating what we are all feeling. Engblom, naturally so, can't replace over 20 years of seeing the injustices and bad calls that didn't go our way.

Engblom doesn't have 20 years of being a fan of the team. The most anyone can say is that he is not homer enough...but the quality of the content, professionalism, and general feel of the broadcast is vastly improved - there is no denying that.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Chief has been there since almost the inception of the team. I think he joined the broadcast in like '92 or '93. It's impossible not to miss him...most of us grew up with him as part of the Lightning and like most people change is "hard". Chief is most of all a fan of the Lightning - and that is what I miss. One of us sharing and communicating what we are all feeling. Engblom, naturally so, can't replace over 20 years of seeing the injustices and bad calls that didn't go our way.

Engblom doesn't have 20 years of being a fan of the team. The most anyone can say is that he is not homer enough...but the quality of the content, professionalism, and general feel of the broadcast is vastly improved - there is no denying that.

You need someone with personality to balance Peckham. It doesn't mean the color guy has to be a homer, just not the same monotone as Rick. I'd rather watch the other teams feed it wasn't blacked out.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
The most anyone can say is that he is not homer enough...

He's not homer at all, which is my problem with him. There is a huge middle-ground between Chief's disputing every call and Engblom fawning over the opposition all the time. I expect our color commentator to act like he at least likes the Bolts. I don't get that feeling very often with the new guy.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
He's not homer at all, which is my problem with him. There is a huge middle-ground between Chief's disputing every call and Engblom fawning over the opposition all the time. I expect our color commentator to act like he at least likes the Bolts. I don't get that feeling very often with the new guy.

I would totally agree with this! I feel like we are watching the national broadcast all the time as opposed to the home feed.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would totally agree with this! I feel like we are watching the national broadcast all the time as opposed to the home feed.

I kind of like the down-the-middle style. Or, at least, I don't like when it's 100% homerism (Chief, Denny Potvin). For me, it's more about personality. A large part of Chief's personality WAS the blind homerism, although I don't think that's a necessary ingredient for a good broadcast team.

The answer to this is obvious. We need to get Brian Engblom drunk.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
The answer to this is obvious. We need to get Brian Engblom drunk.

I guess I need to take one for the team.

True story about Chief. At the post-game radio show last season, he stopped and was chatting with people on his way in. He asked me what I was drinking. I told him the Rumfish Grill 'Blue Marlin'. He told me I should have them remake it, as it wasn't blue enough. He was right, it was pretty green.

:laugh:

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I guess I need to take one for the team.

True story about Chief. At the post-game radio show last season, he stopped and was chatting with people on his way in. He asked me what I was drinking. I told him the Rumfish Grill 'Blue Marlin'. He told me I should have them remake it, as it wasn't blue enough. He was right, it was pretty green.

:laugh:

Lol cool story

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I honestly don't mind hearing about the other team since we know our own team so well, but it would be nice if Brian felt a little more invested in the guys here instead of talking about their performance dispassionately. It's odd because when he was hired he talked about being excited about this team, but he's kind of suffocated that aspect of it too much.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I honestly don't mind hearing about the other team since we know our own team so well, but it would be nice if Brian felt a little more invested in the guys here instead of talking about their performance dispassionately. It's odd because when he was hired he talked about being excited about this team, but he's kind of suffocated that aspect of it too much.

He almost seems to favor the opposite team. Which is odd for a CC for a team

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
I like Rick but it's just a boring crew overall now. Engblom doesn't have much personality, and he isn't a big enough homer for my liking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad