Confirmed with Link: Brian Engblom hired as new Sun Sports Color Commentator

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Dang - thought Dinger was a shoe-in.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=776697 Team announcement.

This is the Lightning. They want to go world class, and if not world class, then the guy second string to Pierre.

Depending on if he stays with NBC, (which having another voice of ours in there should help with the bias) then maybe Dinger gets to sub in for the games he misses.

edit: or not.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Aww I'll miss Dinger. :(

Great hire, but I hope Engblom works a little homerism in for tradition's sake.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I guess he's still with NBC.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/brian-engblom-named-lightning-color-analyst/2240863

“We firmly believe that Brian is one of the best in the National Hockey League at what he does and he will work alongside Rick Peckham, himself one of the best play-by-play men in the league, to deliver Lightning fans a national-caliber broadcast on Sun Sports more than 70 times each season.”

only more than 70, or are they segregating that Fox Sports Florida nonsense?

OR, is Griggs saying that the Sun Sports broadcasts would be national-caliber, regardless of Engblom at all? Damn you, Steve Griggs. You beautiful, mysterious man.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
We have like 8 games on NBC this year. The rest = more than 70.

right.

also good choices. Jaffe has been a favorite of mine for a while. Indicates the competition Dinger was facing.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Weekes is a Lightning alum, would have been cool to have him too. Wasn't Enblom one of the annoying commentators on NBCSN that never seemed to give the Bolts much respect?

the fact that Brian Engblom has like 20 years in national broadcasting experience, and we can't remember what his deal is, is telling.

ArmchairGoalie

May 18, 2011
Largo, FL
the fact that Brian Engblom has like 20 years in national broadcasting experience, and we can't remember what his deal is, is telling.

To be fair, I usually muted the NBCSN broadcasts. They got real annoying after a while, especially during intermissions.

Doc as always is terrific, but Pierre was hard to listen too. I don't remember much about Brian Engblom.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
To be fair, I usually muted the NBCSN broadcasts. They got real annoying after a while, especially during intermissions.

Doc as always is terrific, but Pierre was hard to listen too. I don't remember much about Brian Engblom.

A couple of short videos where Peckham and Engblom work together on a NBC broadcast.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Thought Dingman was monotone and didnt bring as much insight as i would have liked from a former player. I like the hire a lot...will miss the homerism a bit as Chief brought that in spades.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He worked for the Altitude sports and the Avs last year but it seemed like he did more NBC games then Avs ones. He'll be more professional then chief and we'll lose the homerism so hard to see how he gels with Rick who is pretty professional.

My hate for Andreychuk continues to grow with this news. Guy was beyond mediocre as a player for us and gets a ton of credit for the cup team and a statue. Now he is taking a spot from someone who is actually good in front of the camera and carasmatic. Andreychuk is not TV quality he should be with the team for community and charitable work only.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Weekes is a Lightning alum, would have been cool to have him too. Wasn't Enblom one of the annoying commentators on NBCSN that never seemed to give the Bolts much respect?

my second take on this post, but if your boss tells you to portray one of the teams as the devil incarnate, you portray it as such. It's called professionalism. :sarcasm:

I do agree with Hose on Andy about his tv ability, but Dinger may have decided to hit the dusty trail after not getting color commentator.

updated Joe Smith article: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/brian-engblom-named-lightning-color-analyst/2240863
Engblom has a ton of respect for Taylor, and notes he doesn't think there will be a "huge difference" in styles, other than the obvious perspectives of Taylor being a former goalie, Engblom a former defenseman.

ha

Last edited:

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Good hire, but when I get a notificaion that there's Lightning news, I keep expecting a Stamkos signing. Damn it!

Anyway, could have been worse. Could have been Andy or Dingman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad