Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott signs 1 year $2M

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
It’s a fair deal cap wise and if he stays healthy, he should be able to give them the 25 or so good starts they’ll need.

Betting on him staying healthy is a risk though, not a Neuvirth level risk, but still a gamble.
I wouldn’t push Hart so early. 57 starts for a team that gives up a decent amount of A+ opp and can’t clear the front of the net could make his job hard. Not to mention, goalies get injured that way.

I would start Hart for 46-51 games if he can do it well without being overworked and use Elliot for 31-36 games. If Elliot plays well and we’re not in a position where we need him- that’s a UFA value at the deadline we could sell.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I'm not thrilled that Elliot is back, but I'm not going to complain about that extension. Just as longg as he accepts his role

Reactions: BernieParent

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I'm not thrilled that Elliot is back, but I'm not going to complain about that extension. Just as long as he accepts his role

source.gif

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The hope isn’t so much that Elliot stays healthy, it’s that Hart stays healthy.

Elliot for any extended stretch is playing with fire.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think it’s worthwhile to look around the league & see how finicky & unpredictable the backup goaltender position is.

There are a number of bad contracts on backups league-wide. A lot of backups whose careers went into the toilet.

And not much can ruin a team like dreadful goaltending. It’s precipitous.

I didn’t feel good at all with Talbot coming off the season he had.

Elliott at least somehow manages to put up an acceptable save %, even though he concedes some of the worst goals I’ve ever seen.

And they’re getting a great deal on the contract. Elliott obviously wanted to stay.

The only issue with Elliott as a backup is health, but that’s a question with many goalies, & he bounced back well 2nd half last year.

He’s no Neuvy. He’s not being relied on to start. They have Hart, Sandstrom, Ustimenko, & Lyon in NA for depth. He’s great for the cap. He knows Hart. And he’s well-liked. Sounds like the sensible move to me.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Elliott is fine if healthy, and the FA market is pretty brutal. So, I understand the signing.

Our doctors better be pretty confident he can hold up.

This signing must be music to Felix Sandstrom's ears.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If he played like he did in Carolina and Toronto he could be called Sue and I wouldn't care.

There is risk with McElhinney. He’s turning 37 next season and his 33 games last year was the most he has EVER played during his NHL career.

His last two years though. Quite solid.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I am really worried this is going to end up like Bob. Hart is going to have zero room for error because they are trying to win now...so how are they going to react when they realize hes 21 and will have growing pains?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad