Brian Burke says 07 Ducks could've beaten any of the Cup winning teams since them

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
My answer to this hypothetical question is that I agree. I will never forget how they handled the Sens in the final. It wasn’t even a series. Let’s not forget that the Heatley, Alfie, and Spezza line was insane during that time. As said before the Pronger Niedermayer pairing is an all time great and Selanne was great.

They also played extremely physical and wore teams down. I believe that they could have beaten every team after.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
They would have a chance against anyone. The star defenseman combined with lights out checking line was brutal for teams to play and the offense was there

lawrence

May 19, 2012
i agree with him to an extent. that was one of the best team's ive seen since the original lockout. They literally suffocated their opponents like no tommorow, they fore checked hard, highly skilled not to mention they had 2 hall of fame dmans in the back, they were truly unstoppable. 2007 Western finals was the true stanley cup championship. Personally I think if another team can take em on, its either the 2010 Blackhawks or the 2016 Penguins.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Ducks have won the division since 2013 and never quite had the cup success some expected. I think the 2007 team was a one shot deal in a sense. No question the Ducks are now on the age slope that generally leads to problems. Still a good team but I think this year was the best chance to go to a final.

Caffeine

Apr 27, 2017
Petrozavodsk
Even though the caphit has been rising significanty since the Ducks winning the stanley cup, I feel like nowadays there are higher percent of dead cap space than ever before. I'ts basically every team having plenty of dead cap space including also the recent stanley cup champions. Because of this reason I think I would favor Ducks or Chicago 2010 beating any team since the 2004-2005 lockout

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
2008 Red Wings
2010 Blackhawks
2012 Kings
2013 Blackhawks
2014 Kings
2016 Penguins

All beat the 07 Ducks in a 7 game series.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
09/10 hawks would be hard to beat. 15/16 pens and 11/12 kings are also kind of tricky. They would lose for sure to 07/08 wings. Besides that I can see them beating the rest.

Yup, those are exactly the teams I would pick too. Those Red Wings were a machine, veteran depth and the post cup version knocked the Ducks out the following year.

Chicago; crazy good blue line, depth for days with a sprinkling of vet talent. Multiple HOF careers just at their starting point. The usual Hawks core, but with Madden, Campbell, Buff, Ladd, etc and Hossa starving to finally win a cup.

The 2016 pittsburgh team could’ve skated and quickupped them into dust. They were so fast and good in the transition, and faced much “heavier” teams on the way to that cup without getting off their game.

The Kings teams I don’t remember enough about, tbh, but that first one took the world by storm and Quick was unbeatable that year.

That said, that Anaheim team had many of those advantages above and were extremely talented themselves in certain areas, but of course it’s all a matter of opinion anyway

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just have a question for Burke, just one question.

When the 07 Ducks go to play any of these teams, do they still have Randy the Retread behind the bench? Or do they give them a new head coach? Because I really don't see a Carlyle coached team winning another cup, not even if you give him the 2007 versions of those players to go to battle.

Maybe they win one more cup with him and get lucky, but the only head coach of any 2007-2017 cup winner that might be worse than him is Disco Dan.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
By the way, I still think the 2016 Pens were probably the best cup winner post-lockout.

They were supremely coached, on top of the talent level and played a system that was greatly perfected. One of the most impressively perfected teams systematically over the last decade plus. At the time, I think the consensus was they were the best of the last decade, but that may have only been because they were fresh in people's minds.

Two years later, I'm still saying they were the best. The way they outplayed teams like San Jose and Tampa Bay in the last two rounds, they made it look so easy. Almost like they were being fed non-playoff teams.

The 2017 team didn't impress me nearly as much. They also had Ron Hainsey playing over 20 minutes in the playoffs and no Letang, which might have had something to do with it.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
i agree with him to an extent. that was one of the best team's ive seen since the original lockout. They literally suffocated their opponents like no tommorow, they fore checked hard, highly skilled not to mention they had 2 hall of fame dmans in the back, they were truly unstoppable. 2007 Western finals was the true stanley cup championship. Personally I think if another team can take em on, its either the 2010 Blackhawks or the 2016 Penguins.

Pens 2016 would get beaten by Hawks 2013 imo

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Burke will never stop saying incredibly stupid things.

There's nothing incredibly stupid about this. Every GM of every Cup team likely feels the exact same way about their championship team. What's incredibly stupid about saying one champion can beat another champion? Why wouldn't you have faith in your champion?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I just have a question for Burke, just one question.

When the 07 Ducks go to play any of these teams, do they still have Randy the Retread behind the bench? Or do they give them a new head coach? Because I really don't see a Carlyle coached team winning another cup, not even if you give him the 2007 versions of those players to go to battle.

Maybe they win one more cup with him and get lucky, but the only head coach of any 2007-2017 cup winner that might be worse than him is Disco Dan.

RC coached the Ducks to the western conference finals in last years playoffs so give him the 2007 Stanley Cup championship team and he can coach them to a Cup even in today's NHL.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Eh as a Wings fan I say we should have beaten them in 2007 and we would have beaten them in 2008 for sure and we did beat them in 2009. Brian Burke's biggest problem and his biggest advantage have always been his massive ego.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
As a Sharks fan whose favorite team lost to both, I can tell you that the 2016 Penguins would shred the 2010 Blackhawks. I can’t really say how those teams would fare against 2007 Anaheim but my best guess is that they would both beat the Ducks.

And I do believe all of these teams would absolutely destroy Vegas, yes.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
No doubt that was the best. Team.

Ottawa and their top line absolutely manhandled the east. People forget that. They won all their series in 5 and were virtually unstoppable. Until they met Anaheim. Then THEY lost in 5. Nuts.

No one would beat that team in a 7 game series.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
We were very good. Unfortunately while Gollisano had the money to literally save and operate the team he didn't have the money to keep the team together and it dissolved over the next several years until the last hurah in the 2011 playoffs vs the Flyers. Shortly thereafter began a tear down followed by a rebuild that was horribly botched and continues to this very day.
How do you think buffalo compares vs 06 Oilers in the finals? I was always curious how that series would have looked

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
How do you think buffalo compares vs 06 Oilers in the finals? I was always curious how that series would have looked
There's no doubt in my mind we would've won that series. Even more than 2007 that's the year we should've won the cup.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He might be right; 2007 was also the last time he was an effective GM

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He might be right; 2007 was also the last time he was an effective GM
As a Whalers fan the idea he was ever an effective GM is news to me (the Pronger trade was literally the only good move he made as he assembled a roster of trash.). He's not one of the major culprits in murdering my Whalers but he in no way helped the situation.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Burke loves the media and hearing himself talk, but he's probably not wrong on this.

No team since has had a blue line with two defenseman like Pronger and Niedermayer. The closest thing would be Josi and Subban and they're not even on the same level as those two. I think the 2010 Hawks are the only close team.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
By the way, I still think the 2016 Pens were probably the best cup winner post-lockout.

They were supremely coached, on top of the talent level and played a system that was greatly perfected. One of the most impressively perfected teams systematically over the last decade plus. At the time, I think the consensus was they were the best of the last decade, but that may have only been because they were fresh in people's minds.

Two years later, I'm still saying they were the best. The way they outplayed teams like San Jose and Tampa Bay in the last two rounds, they made it look so easy. Almost like they were being fed non-playoff teams.

The 2017 team didn't impress me nearly as much. They also had Ron Hainsey playing over 20 minutes in the playoffs and no Letang, which might have had something to do with it.

They're among the best, but I'd hesitate to say their system or performance was more perfect than the 2008 Red Wings, 2013 Blackhawks, and 2012 Kings. At various points throughout their runs, those teams also played as close to 'perfect hockey' as I've ever seen. Different forms of it, with emphasis on different facets, but perfect nonetheless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad