Brian Burke says 07 Ducks could've beaten any of the Cup winning teams since them

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
oh brother this "west is best" mentality lasted for like 15 years, thank god the pens finally put an end to that delusion

Because the West is not as good as it was. Look at how powerful the Canucks were in the early 2010s and how they are now. Kings and Hawks and are not the powerhouses anymore. Even the Blues are not as strong. The Jets are impressive for example but could they have matched against these teams? Not sure.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
How much has he had to drink? Every time I see him, his face is about as red as a goal light.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I don't see them beating the '08 Wings, '13 Blackhawks and '16 Pens. They'd be able to go neck to neck with the '09 Pens, '10 and '15 Hawks, and the '11 Bruins. While they'd be favoured over the LA Kings and last years Pens.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Because the West is not as good as it was. Look at how powerful the Canucks were in the early 2010s and how they are now. Kings and Hawks and are not the powerhouses anymore. Even the Blues are not as strong. The Jets are impressive for example but could they have matched against these teams? Not sure.

why does the west appear to be not as good? because there happens to be a better team in the east which makes the west look "weak", and it's easy to say this or that team was good when you already know what they accomplished

the jets could be the next hawks, it's easy to say now they aren't that good while their story is still being written

and the canucks weren't that good, I would bet on Nashville or any of the recent Washington teams beating them

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I didn't want to res the other thread of Burke stepping down but from the 31 Thoughts Podcast sounds like he doesn't want to be in management anymore and wants to be in media, so whoever is looking for a potential new GM you can breathe.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Tim Thomas

even beyond that, the Ducks won by going through people and physical play.

That 2011 Bruins team was bigger and tougher than the Ducks team. The 2011 Bruins are the 1 team they would not be able to intimidate or push around. They may have to deal with getting pushed around instead

Chara, Lucic, Thornton, Boychuk, Seidenberg, McQuaid, Horton

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
They would get overwhelmed by the speed and pace of many of the teams today. It's a faster game now.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It may be incorrect to say they "weren't close" to the 2008 Red Wings, but it is equally laughable to say the 2007 Red Wings were basically the 2008 Red Wings, if not moreso. The 2008 team was a completely different monster from either the 2007 or 2009 teams that the Ducks faced. The team was dominant in virtually every facet of the game and the stats reflect it. The 2007 team wasn't there (and the injuries on defense which forced guys like Lebda and Lilja to play way too much didn't help), and the 2009 team was too run and gun a lot of the time and didn't lock games down nearly to the extent the 2008 team did.

If you want to argue it, argue it with the facts.

Also can't forget that similar to the 2007 Wings vs. Ducks series, the 2009 Wings were also missing multiple regular Dmen for a majority of their series against the Ducks. Rafalski missed games 1-5 with a herniated disc, and Lilja missed the whole playoffs with a concussion, which meant more ice time for Lebda and rookie Ericsson, as well as the insertion of Derek Meech and an even crustier 47YO Chelios into the line-up.

I'd also argue that it's hard to use the 2009 Red Wings vs. Ducks series as a measuring stick for 2007 Ducks vs 2008 Red Wings. The main reason that series in 2009 went 7 games was Jonas Hiller. The guy was .932 for the whole series. The Red Wings averaged 39.2 shots per 60 in those 7 games, which required Jonas Hiller to post SV%'s of .952, .978 and .974 in the Ducks three wins. Replace him with 2007 Giguere (who was .908 against a much less potent Wings team firing 27.8/60 in 2007) and that 2009 series probably doesn't go more than 5 games.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

That 2011 Bruins team was bigger and tougher than the Ducks team. The 2011 Bruins are the 1 team they would not be able to intimidate or push around. They may have to deal with getting pushed around instead

The 07 Ducks would have beaten the 2011 Bruins without question, unless the Bruins injured Niedermayer or Pronger. Those Bruins almost lost to the Canucks, who were way more banged up than the Ducks were in 2007.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
The 07 Ducks would have beaten the 2011 Bruins without question, unless the Bruins injured Niedermayer or Pronger. Those Bruins almost lost to the Canucks, who were way more banged up than the Ducks were in 2007.

I agree. Anaheim was a very deep team at forward, their top 4 on D was really good, and Giguere was a good playoff goalie. I don't see Boston winning against them.

Jul 10, 2010
having the ability to play Nieds for 25 minutes and Pronger for another 25 minutes would make them very difficult. thats 2 first ballot HHoF on the ice for 5/6s of a game easily.

Thats without young Getz and Perry

Reactions: shello and Jamin

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
After Treliving's first season as Flames gm, Burke's assessment of the team was, "we need to be bigger", even though the Flames were well above the league average in size and Chicago, who was on the smaller side had just won their third cup in 6 seasons. That shows you what kind of genius innovator luminary of the current game Brian Burke is.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Everyone mentioning the 09/10 Hawks, but I don't even think that year was their best team. I think the 2013 team was the best Hawks team out of the 3.

Anton13

Sep 3, 2012
Finland

Thornton was also on the '07 Ducks. Does he get to fight himself?

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
09/10 hawks would be hard to beat. 15/16 pens and 11/12 kings are also kind of tricky. They would lose for sure to 07/08 wings. Besides that I can see them beating the rest.

no f***** way....... this is how those fools would have been handled

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: charliolemieux

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
I still think our 2007 side could've beaten them. There was basically one team in the league we just couldn't beat that totally had our number, and unfortunately we ended up facing them in the conference final.
I totally forgot buffalo were actually good back then lol. Very good actually.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I totally forgot buffalo were actually good back then lol. Very good actually.
We were very good. Unfortunately while Gollisano had the money to literally save and operate the team he didn't have the money to keep the team together and it dissolved over the next several years until the last hurah in the 2011 playoffs vs the Flyers. Shortly thereafter began a tear down followed by a rebuild that was horribly botched and continues to this very day.

Reactions: ford2016

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It was a good team. I think any Cup win team since 05-6 could beat any other Cup team. Could being the key word.

Who would be favored is another story. I honestly don't think I'd favor that Ducks team against any of the Cup winners except for 09 Penguins, 10 Hawks, and 05 Canes. The rest I think would be favored against that Ducks team.

Apr 1, 2010
Any of the top teams in the league could beat any post 04-05 champion, depending on circumstances.
Over the past handful of seasons as the Salary Cap has risen and team have adjusted and brought in talented youth, teams are deeper, faster and more skilled than they have been since the pre-cap era. With a few exceptions of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad