Brian Burke says 07 Ducks could've beaten any of the Cup winning teams since them

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He's on NHL Network right now for their "Sportsnet at Noon" show and he says [loose parapharse] that he really thinks the 07 Ducks could've beaten any of the Cup champs since the Ducks won in 07. Threads like this are usually saved for the week after the Finals are over and we have a new champ, but oh well.

He says that Ducks team had...

-Enough speed to keep up with the past two Penguins teams
-A lot of offense, "Perry and Getzlaf were on our second line and (when told "yeah but they were young")...they led our team in scoring
-the ability to have either Niedermayer or Pronger out for the majority of the game

Agree or disagree?

Oct 18, 2011
They would beat most of them,imo. 08 Detroit would be close. I'm sure a few others could make a very competitive series

Niedermayer and Pronger we're 2nd and 3rd in Norris voting that year. Pronger was going to win it before he missed some time. Only real weakness on the team was the third D pair

But I don't want to hear Burke run his mouth he's become a dinosaur without even realizing it

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I still think our 2007 side could've beaten them. There was basically one team in the league we just couldn't beat that totally had our number, and unfortunately we ended up facing them in the conference final.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Ya well I bet the 1986/87 Oilers would beat the 2007 Ducks team....

But seriously, ya that Ducks team was great but IDK if they could beat the Blackhawks in 2013. Just comparing the depth of those two teams, you can see a lot of similarities. But to me the big difference would be Kane = Selanne in terms of production, but the Ducks top C (Andy McDonald - 78 points 82 GP) wasn't the same caliber as Toews. So there would definitely be some issues regarding shutting down the Hawks production, especially if Kane, Toews and Hossa were all split up, that's 3 tough lines.

Long story short, I don't think they'd be able to beat the Hawks. They'd also have their hands full with the Pens with Crosby and Malkin as the top 2 C. This is back when Getzlaf hadn't fully developed into what we know him to be today. But I'd definitely pay to see those 2 series.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I don’t necessarily disagree. They had 2 of the best dmen in the modern era, and one hell of a playoff goalie in Giguere. Their top 6 was insane, and their bottom 6 had lots of strong 2 way players. The team didn’t have a weakness.

But could he have beaten the GM of those cup winners in a barn fight is the real question?

They'd also have their hands full with the Pens with Crosby and Malkin as the top 2 C.

Why? With Pronger and Niedermayer, the Pens would still be forced to have them out against an elite dman the entire game.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Shocking the former GM of a Stanley Cup winning team thinks said Stanley Cup winning team could beat other Stanley Cup winning teams. As if by being the best one season it would be unheard of to think of that team beating other teams that were the best other seasons.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I mean that Pahlsson line was monstrous too.

I believe this was the top-9 if I'm not mistaken:

Kunitz - McDonald - Selanne
Penner - Getzlaf - Perry
Moen - Pahlsson - Niedermayer

Then obviously a top-4 with Niedermayer, Pronger, Beauchemin and O'Donnell.

Giguere was a very good goalie at the time, especially in the playoffs.

They'd be quite formidable.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They would beat most of them,imo. 08 Detroit would be close. I'm sure a few others could make a very competitive series

Niedermayer and Pronger we're 2nd and 3rd in Norris voting that year. Pronger was going to win it before he missed some time. Only real weakness on the team was the third D pair

But I don't want to hear Burke run his mouth he's become a dinosaur without even realizing it
Both those guys could play 30 minutes a game if they wanted to tho. Idk they would have a chance to beat every team but who knows

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He's on NHL Network right now for their "Sportsnet at Noon" show and he says [loose parapharse] that he really thinks the 07 Ducks could've beaten any of the Cup champs since the Ducks won in 07. Threads like this are usually saved for the week after the Finals are over and we have a new champ, but oh well.

He says that Ducks team had...

-Enough speed to keep up with the past two Penguins teams
-A lot of offense, "Perry and Getzlaf were on our second line and (when told "yeah but they were young")...they led our team in scoring
-the ability to have either Niedermayer or Pronger out for the majority of the game

Agree or disagree?

This isn't remotely controversial. Any Cup winning team of recent vintage *could* beat any other Cup winning team of recent vintage.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
That D was hard to beat.

thats-what-she-said-gif-2.gif

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Burke got lucky with pronger and Scott tho. Lucky scott wanted to get his brother a cup and lucky pronger had to leave edm for reasons. Got 2 of the best dmen at the time for close to nothing

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Strange because they beat that nearly identical wings team in 6 games the year before..

You sure about that?

The Red Wings outscored the Ducks 17-16 in that series while playing without their #2 (Schneider) and #3 (Kronwall) Dmen and had guys like Lilja and Lebda playing 20+ minutes, a 45YO Chelios playing half the game and Kyle Quincey just taking up space on the bench.

The 08 team on the other hand was pretty much completely healthy. You also drop notable 07 under performers in Lang and Bertuzzi, replace Markov and Schneider with Rafalski and Stuart, get notably improved versions of Kronwall, Hudler, Filppula and especially Franzen, a more physical team with Helm, Drake and McCarty, and 08 Osgood is a whole nother level above the Hasek that played in that 07 series.

08 Red Wings > 07 Ducks AINEC...

Then again... maybe that 2008 teams health gets ruined by a couple of Pronger headshots or a Brad May sucker punch...

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
He is probably right. The only two teams that I think would put up a fight are the 08 wings and the 10 Hawks. The rest would likely get steamrolled in 5 games or less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad