Speculation: Brian Burke: Pacioretty has not asked for a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
He's absolutely terrible. Made one big trade/draft with the Sedins and he's been riding that for years.

Not really. He turned an absolute joke of a franchise in Vancouver into a perennial contender for the better part of a decade both under his helm and after. He also won the cup in Anaheim, and a couple of his moves were instrumental for that team to win it.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Not really. He turned an absolute joke of a franchise in Vancouver into a perennial contender for the better part of a decade both under his helm and after. He also won the cup in Anaheim, and a couple of his moves were instrumental for that team to win it.

Brian Murray had a much larger role to play in that Cup than did Burke who came in the previous year and stepped into a great core of players who had already been to the finals a couple years earlier. As for Vancouver that success was mainly predicated on the Sedins.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Brian Murray had a much larger role to play in that Cup than did Burke who came in the previous year and stepped into a great core of players who had already been to the finals a couple years earlier. As for Vancouver that success was mainly predicated on the Sedins.

Your revisionist history is really shallow.

It was not just predicated on the Sedins, he played a role in shoring up the center depth (he acquired Morrison, who would become the center for the WCE line), he drafted Ryan Kesler. He brought in a number of defensemen including Jovanovski, Salo, Bieska, ect. He also added a lot of depth such as Burrows. He was an excellent GM for the Canucks. Like I said, he brought them from a crap team that struggled for like a decade, to a perennial contender.

In Anaheim, he signed Selanne. He then significantly improved the defense by trading for Beauchemin and Pronger, and signing Neidermayer. To brush off these moves as secondary is ridiculous, all four of those players were instrumental for their cup win.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Why are people upset? I believe he didn't ask for a trade.

Hell, he knows he's on the block anyway, why would he need to ask for one?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

It was not just predicated on the Sedins, he played a role in shoring up the center depth (he acquired Morrison, who would become the center for the WCE line), he drafted Ryan Kesler. He brought in a number of defensemen including Jovanovski, Salo, Bieska, ect. He also added a lot of depth such as Burrows. He was an excellent GM for the Canucks. Like I said, he brought them from a crap team that struggled for like a decade, to a perennial contender.

In Anaheim, he signed Selanne. He then significantly improved the defense by trading for Beauchemin and Pronger, and signing Neidermayer. To brush off these moves as secondary is ridiculous, all four of those players were instrumental for their cup win.

Nothing shallow about inheriting a solid team and having luck bestowed upon you when a talent like Pronger has his wife make him trade him to LA. He basically took Cup contending core and added some players to compliment what was already there.

As for Vancouver, I’ll give him credit for being able to draft the Sedins and build around them but again, luck was a bigger part of that than anything else.

When walking into teams without all star core like Toronto and Calgary, his results were far from superlative.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
he'd be perfect on team like Pittsburgh or hell, even Vegas IMO

Perfect in Pittsburgh for them. Will be one of the worst trade in the history of this team for us. Unless Malkin comes back in the trade. And we all know it won't happen.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

It was not just predicated on the Sedins, he played a role in shoring up the center depth (he acquired Morrison, who would become the center for the WCE line), he drafted Ryan Kesler. He brought in a number of defensemen including Jovanovski, Salo, Bieska, ect. He also added a lot of depth such as Burrows. He was an excellent GM for the Canucks. Like I said, he brought them from a crap team that struggled for like a decade, to a perennial underachiever.

Fixed.

He won with the Ducks because Mrs. Pronger got fed up living in Edmonton. No skill was required other than being Anaheim's GM instead of Edmonton's.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think he was squeezed out. He blew up that franchise as well. They were getting to the point of contention than they traded away all their picks and have little left prospect wise.

He's absolutely terrible. Made one big trade/draft with the Sedins and he's been riding that for years.

He made other big moves in Vancouver as well. He actually didn't get to reap much of the rewards in the sedin deal, because it took them a few years to take off, and by that time, Burke's time was almost up.

His ultimate failing was in net, where he pinned his hopes on cloutier, and he never quite reached expectations, but those Canucks teams were must watch television back then. It was some of the most entertaining hockey I have ever seen.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
I'm a bit sad to see how this situation has deteriorated.

The fans now mostly want him gone, but it wasn't always so.

I remember the 2008 development camp. Timmins said that Pacioretty was the most advanced prospect, and everybody was excited. He was projected as a Shayne Corson type of player, who could be counted on to chip in 20-30 goals a year. He had a great pre-season where he got to play with Robert Lang and his childhood idol, Alex Kovalev. Pacioretty was part of the future, of a bright future. He, along with Eller, Pouliot, Cole, etc would be part of a trend of the Habs getting bigger in the top-6.

But it didn't turn out that way unfortunately. Chara almost killed him. Later on, Pacioretty was good for the Habs, but he was expected to be the franchise forward. He's good, but he's not that good and was never going to be. Pacioretty can be the 3rd or 4th best forward on a contender, but not the number 1 forward. He never lived up to that dream, partly because he played with Desharnais and Plekanec rather than Galchenyuk and Eller, and now fans want him gone. He's been a playoff choker in Montreal, but if he goes to a good team and plays on the 2nd line, he might actually do well in the playoffs.

What comes to mind when I think of Pacioretty's earlier days his shove in the previous MTL/BOS game that lead to Chara almost killing him. Seemed to be having so much more fun back then. Things were looking bright. Good times.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'd be ok with Sprong and a 1st for Pacioretty from Pittsburgh. Hell, I'd retain 50% if they tossed in another 2nd.

Reactions: montreal

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'd be ok with Sprong and a 1st for Pacioretty from Pittsburgh. Hell, I'd retain 50% if they tossed in another 2nd.

Can’t. Doesn’t address ANY need. They’d have to Maata or Letang or Brassard, Guentzel who hopefully could play center.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Can’t. Doesn’t address ANY need. They’d have to Maata or Letang or Brassard, Guentzel who hopefully could play center.

Doesn't address a need for them or us? Cause for us, obviously a defender would better; but 2 picks and a young goal scorer would be fine. Just make sure you draft well, cause it's going to be a couple years before this team isn't dog shit anyway.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Doesn't address a need for them or us? Cause for us, obviously a defender would better; but 2 picks and a young goal scorer would be fine. Just make sure you draft well, cause it's going to be a couple years before this team isn't dog **** anyway.

Imo, Patches is the one quality trade chip you use to get a young stud D or center prospect in addition to the 1st. We HAVE to get at least one of those pieces. If not, I’d rather sign him him long term.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Guys pacioretty does not want to be traded. It's Bergevin that wants him gone. Pacioretty loves it here. He just bought a million dollar house in Westmount. Why would he buy a million dollar house if he wanted to be traded? Come on guys just common sense. I think that all of the trade talks and rumors really affected his performance this year.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Didn’t ask for a trade but very clearly plays like he doesn’t want to be there. Gtfo faux captain.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Guys pacioretty does not want to be traded. It's Bergevin that wants him gone. Pacioretty loves it here. He just bought a million dollar house in Westmount. Why would he buy a million dollar house if he wanted to be traded? Come on guys just common sense. I think that all of the trade talks and rumors really affected his performance this year.

This just in: millionaire with a wife and three kids, with a fourth along the way, buys a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino