Speculation: Brian Burke: Cap might be $40 million next season

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The reason they may be so anxious to get the season in is that perhaps the TV deals require that the full season and playoffs be completed, or the networks will only pay for the portion of the season they had?

In other words, no gate alone is the lesser of two evils between no gate money and no gate/TV money?

Thats the the sense ive been getting from some of the media i follow.

While the NHL is seem ok ngly more dependent on gate revenue than other leagues the tv contracts seem lioe the main focus at the moment for generating some money
Hence why the league wont officially cancel the season/playoffs until the last second of thr last minute

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
How would we, as a fan base, care what dollar amount Mitch makes? If there is a rollback for a season, it is the exact same amount of percentage against a cap...

Why do you care how much specific players make when all that matters is % of the cap?
If it's a hard roll back and that's how u would see it done if it's done at all. Tavares becomes the real steal and he's contract doesn't look like such an albatross.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
When they do start the season/ playoffs do teams go with 35 man rosters, as the AHL is not coming back, bound to be injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If it's a hard roll back and that's how u would see it done if it's done at all. Tavares becomes the real steal and he's contract doesn't look like such an albatross.
Hopefully this virus will get rid of weak teams and we can move back to a free market based non CAP league run by supply and demand. Not some artificial Bettman world to seek da wonderful US national TV deal. And you can be sure Rogers/Sportsnet will seek to scale back this insanely high Canadian TV deal. It would not shock me if they walked from this stupid deal and TSN picked it up on da cheap.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Hopefully this virus will get rid of weak teams and we can move back to a free market based non CAP league run by supply and demand. Not some artificial Bettman world to seek da wonderful US national TV deal. And you can be sure Rogers/Sportsnet will seek to scale back this insanely high Canadian TV deal. It would not shock me if they walked from this stupid deal and TSN picked it up on da cheap.
Agreed the league is to watered down. Maybe go with a soccer concept one season with the 32 teams do a seeding season. Makes it worth watching for a Teir league next year top 16 to 20 tes in tier 1 last 2 teams move down or more if at 20 teams. Top 3 move up. Teir 1 always gets first draft 14 to 17 teams get the starting pick depending on league size. Then snakes down to the Stanley Cup winner. Next: The last team in the Teir 2 picks and snakes to the 2 to 4 teams you dropped. If it was at 20 I would say 3 max. (IMO.) AHL could mostly stay the same. Same with Echl. It would force teams to not tank. More equal games to make better TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Agreed the league is to watered down. Maybe go with a soccer concept one season with the 32 teams do a seeding season. Makes it worth watching for a Teir league next year top 16 to 20 tes in tier 1 last 2 teams move down or more if at 20 teams. Top 3 move up. Teir 1 always gets first draft 14 to 17 teams get the starting pick depending on league size. Then snakes down to the Stanley Cup winner. Next the last team in the Teir 2 picks and snakes to the 2 to 4 teams you dropped. If it was at 20 I would say 3 max. (IMO.) AHL could mostly stay the same. Same with Echl. It would force teams to not tank. More equal games to make better TV.
I always thought this was right approach. Let da best guys play in NHL. Lets see best on best again. and TV media will pay more to broadcast best on best.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
no sports league in North America runs without a cap in some form. So I guess you would like the Leafs to be in a 6 team league like the good old days?

Reactions: hullsy47

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Amen to that.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
no sports league in North America runs without a cap in some form. So I guess you would like the Leafs to be in a 6 team league like the good old days?
No interest in Ballard and Stavro and Teachers years ever again using our Leafs as their bank accounts . With Rogers and Bell we will be fine. We can outspend anybody any time any where.

member 300185

You heard it hear first.

The radio host nearly fell off his chair.

Burke thinks that revenues and revenue sharing will be totally re-structured based on this crisis.

"The cap will likely drop by 50%"
No it won't. It would be the end of the NHL. Half the league would be gone. The talent would drop immensely. Look at the leafs. They have that much tied up in 4 players. The teams would have to call up every AHL team to fit under a 40 mil cap. Its ridiculous.

And you heard that here first.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
No it won't. It would be the end of the NHL. Half the league would be gone. The talent would drop immensely. Look at the leafs. They have that much tied up in 4 players. The teams would have to call up every AHL team to fit under a 40 mil cap. Its ridiculous.

And you heard that here first.
That's not practical. For a $40m cap (using that number for the sake of argument) in a 20-21 season played entirely in empty arenas to work, they would have to pro-rate existing contracts for next season. In this scenario, Morgan Reilly's normal cap hit & salary of $5m would be $2.5m for the 20-21 season. So no need for compliance buyouts or calling up AHL players. Though the Leafs would lose out financially because of so many front-loaded contracts.

Obviously, any new short-term arrangement would have to be negotiated between the NHL and the NHLPA.

member 300185

That's not practical. For a $40m cap (using that number for the sake of argument) in a 20-21 season played entirely in empty arenas to work, they would have to pro-rate existing contracts for next season. In this scenario, Morgan Reilly's normal cap hit & salary of $5m would be $2.5m for the 20-21 season. So no need for compliance buyouts or calling up AHL players. Though the Leafs would lose out financially because of so many front-loaded contracts.

Obviously, any new short-term arrangement would have to be negotiated between the NHL and the NHLPA.
you got that right boondoggled kitty

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Seems most here don't realize or understand the contracts the Leafs are carrying , Mitch Marner makes 700k on salary the this year and next and that goes up to 750k per year the balance of his deal , JT makes 910k per , AM makes the same as Mitch , Nylander 2.5 million . Cutting the cap and rolling back salaries neither helps nor hurts the Leafs financially really they still have to payout the signing bonus money whether the games get played or the league folds forever . rolling back the cap and salaries means they legally would have to either payout all owed bonus money immediately or continue without counting it to the cap , either way our top 4 forward contracts end up costing 3.685 million total , plenty of room in a 40 mill cap structure to rebuild our team with allstars lol .

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
owners are dead set against compliance buyouts. f***
Yeah too bad ... but 2/3 of league owners are gonna have to pony up $$ this year to cover losses ... I think it was expected ... i betcha Jacobs was leading da charge ... keep hearing 81.5M cap next year with 30% escrow is where things will end up

horner

May 22, 2007
The owners will not eat the cost of hockey with no fans in there buildings.

If the players wish to play next season they will have to split the cost.

It's not time for greed.

Ian more worried about the chl .
No fans no hockey totally gate driven.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The problem is the if HRR drops in half, escrow would have to be 50% of salary or more to cover revenue projections and more to leave some cushion in case revenue does not meet projections.

I can't see that being too popular either.

This is why so many players are keen on finishing the season.

Funny, players hate the escrow, but after some experiment of 50%, I think they would happy to be at 5% numbers later again. :)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The owners will not eat the cost of hockey with no fans in there buildings.

If the players wish to play next season they will have to split the cost.

It's not time for greed.

Ian more worried about the chl .
No fans no hockey totally gate driven.

It's pretty easy mathematics.

If they lose one full season of games, but manage to play two shortened seasons, the Total income from one REAL season of games, will be split 50/50 for those "half-seasons" they played.

So artificial cap with almost ~50% cutter or whatever, that's the hard realism (if one full season of gate revenue is lost). TV deals will help, but not much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad