Speculation: Brian Burke: Cap might be $40 million next season

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
You heard it hear first.

The radio host nearly fell off his chair.

Burke thinks that revenues and revenue sharing will be totally re-structured based on this crisis.

"The cap will likely drop by 50%"

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You heard it hear first.

Burke thinks that revenues and revenue sharing will be totally re-structured based on this crisis.

If NHL owners did that move to da players it would spell da end of NHL as we know it. I would bet my $$$ it is artificially kept high at 81.5M next year with a much higher escrow.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think it stagnates or drops a bit. Not a financial whizz but the escrow will be at max likely. The players will be paying back lots to cover. It still won’t cover all them gates left and playoffs if its all cancelled right? I’m not really up on the escrow part.

Might have buyouts free no cap hit buyouts again.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
If NHL owners did that move to da players it would spell da end of NHL as we know it. I would bet my $$$ it is artificially kept high at 81.5M next year with a much higher escrow.
The Owners aren't doing anything. The NHL is a gate driven league and all those lost games are costing owners millions. The revenue just isn't there.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If it's not next year, it will be the year after.

Are you going to sit in a crowded arena next year? Not only that, companies are hurting. All those corporate sales are going to get slashed HARD.
No I am not without a vaccine.
Da Leafs have offered a plan to park your seats for 1 year. I think most people will do this with renewals in June. So there will be some amazing deals on seats at Scotia next year. I would not be surprised if it becomes family affordable for 1 season. But price is you are taking a health risk going to games on da cheap.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The Owners aren't doing anything. The NHL is a gate driven league and all those lost games are costing owners millions. The revenue just isn't there.
This is maybe why NHL may take a pass on this season then. I was not sure if they could cover costs with US and Canada TV deals alone to finish season. But I can't see the owners throwing more losses at it just to declare a Cup winner. With the NBA the gate is a minor factor it is almost all about the $2.5B national TV contract. and even though LeBron may not want to play the owners are not paying back the huge sum of $$$. That alone creates the loss.

Mod edit: "da" to "the"

Last edited by a moderator:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I don't think it'll drop that much that soon, but it's not outlandish. No playoff ticket revenue, no food and beer being sold, minimal merch being acquired, ad rates to plummet -- the only thing that will keep the cap to where it is if there are buffers propping it up.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Does that mean the players are gonna have to have a roll back in their salary? That would be brutal for them.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I wonder what bogus garbage Burke will say next to scrounge up some attention.

Claim kitten's aren't gritty enough?

Tell an old re-hashed story from when he was the Leafs GM?

Name the worst restaurant server he ever had?

It's all just noise, to me, when this guy speaks. Brian Burke is the most pointless, out of touch, rambling blowhard since Don Cherry.

I honestly put more stock into every post I read here on HF than I do in whatever Burke is spewing. I'm more likely to believe a post here, even if I don't recognize the username, when they tell me something about next year's cap, than I would if Brian Burke was brought on to a sports show panel and said the exact same words.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You heard it hear first.

Hahahahaha
So they will break every contract in the NHL or run with a 5 man roster?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is maybe why NHL may take a pass on this season then. I was not sure if they could cover costs with US and Canada TV deals alone to finish season. But I can't see da owners throwing more losses at it just to declare a Cup winner. With da NBA da gate is a minor factor it is almost all about da $2.5B national TV contract. and even though LeBron may not want to play da owners are not paying back da huge sum of $$$. That alone creates da loss.
Hopefully they'll roll back da ticket prices as well.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Does that mean the players are gonna have to have a roll back in their salary? That would be brutal for them.

No fan base would benefit more from a salary roll back than Leaf Nation.

We have the most highest paid AAV players in the game.

With a 25% salary rollback then $11 mil Mitch becomes $8.25 mil Mitch.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hopefully they'll roll back da ticket prices as well.
Do you think da Raps/Leafs will play at Scotia in 2021 season? Either way they should offer a discount for 2021 for 2020 games not played in front of fans. If they play da 2020 games in neutral sites without fans then I would be t*cked if they don't offer us that discount. I mean I know we are suckers but that would be unjust.

Reactions: ACC1224

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
In the past Billionare owners didn't need too much to cry poor, sell a team, sell off players, etc. No ticket sales, no tv viewers (no live games to watch), no consessions, etc. what did you think might happen? Business as usual? Not every team in the NHL has the financial might of the Toronto Maple Leafs. What did people expect would happen? A lot of things have changed now, and many more things to come (I'm afraid).

People think that Burke is just trying to shock or bring attention to himself? Come on!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad