Speculation: Brian Burke: Cap might be $40 million next season

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
No fan base would benefit more from a salary roll back than Leaf Nation.

We have the most highest paid AAV players in the game.

With a 25% salary rollback then $11 mil Mitch becomes $8.25 mil Mitch.
How would we, as a fan base, care what dollar amount Mitch makes? If there is a rollback for a season, it is the exact same amount of percentage against a cap...

Why do you care how much specific players make when all that matters is % of the cap?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
and Burke was gunning for Tavares too???????????????????? he says a lot of stuff. Always look who has the most to lose here they are generally in da weakest position. I can't see it coming down like that unless da players agreed to cut contracts in half. It is just to big an ask.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How would we, as a fan base, care what dollar amount Mitch makes? If there is a rollback for a season, it is the exact same amount of percentage against a cap...

Why do you care how much specific players make when all that matters is % of the cap?

Roll back salaries 25% by full contract to adjust to new lower Cap..

Then as Cap slowly increases, the salary rollbacks are permanent.

Therefore in few season % of Cap used decreases, because you couldn't increase salaries at same % rate of cap increase or you couldn't sign/re-sign new players without new cap space.

:)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Do you think da Raps/Leafs will play at Scotia in 2021 season? Either way they should offer a discount for 2021 for 2020 games not played in front of fans. If they play da 2020 games in neutral sites without fans then I would be t*cked if they don't offer us that discount. I mean I know we are suckers but that would be unjust.

If they do, more escrow or less HRR

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
I wonder what bogus garbage Burke will say next to scrounge up some attention.

Claim kitten's aren't gritty enough?

Tell an old re-hashed story from when he was the Leafs GM?

Name the worst restaurant server he ever had?

It's all just noise, to me, when this guy speaks. Brian Burke is the most pointless, out of touch, rambling blowhard since Don Cherry.

I honestly put more stock into every post I read here on HF than I do in whatever Burke is spewing. I'm more likely to believe a post here, even if I don't recognize the username, when they tell me something about next year's cap, than I would if Brian Burke was brought on to a sports show panel and said the exact same words.
You rule dude! We are winning the Cup in the next 10 years! Heard it here first!!!

Reactions: qqaz

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If they do, more escrow or less HRR
I don't know but i want my $$$ back from unplayed games in 2020 in form a reduced season ticket holder price or return on my CC. and further i'd like to take up offer of 1 year sea park. so i don't know if they will provide the rebate on 2022 season rates. So much to get decided here. But if 2020 games get played with no fans then us season ticket holders should get our $$ back.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I get how you thinks it's cool or something to replace the word "the" with the word "da" but this post was almost unreadable because of it. It's very distracting and slows down everyone's reading. It's similar to people who refuse to use the word "than". It disrupts people who want to read quickly. The content of your posts is fine but people are just going to start blocking you if it continues.
Who p!$$ed in da cornflakes :)

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I hate to tell you this but of all the big sports in USA, hockey is in big trouble and has been for a while. Bettmans model of using Canadian fans as a social support for non viable us teams and the flaggrant rigging of the Stanley cup through obvious Reffing will now reap what he has down. Empty seats in Canada.
.period. I have talked to others fans. It's over priced, it's rigged and the product is going downhill as wages rose. Food, rent, debt payments. Not hockey. She is in huge trouble because of denial

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I hate to tell you this but of all the big sports in USA, hockey is in big trouble and has been for a while. Bettmans model of using Canadian fans as a social support for non viable us teams and the flaggrant rigging of the Stanley cup through obvious Reffing will now reap what he has down. Empty seats in Canada.
.period. I have talked to others fans. It's over priced, it's rigged and the product is going downhill as wages rose. Food, rent, debt payments. Not hockey. She is in huge trouble because of denial
That’s something I believe too. Lucky for Bettman, NHL owners-at least those making money and in the Big markets are all very quiet and don’t want the spotlight, imagine if someone like Cuban is in charge of the Leafs or even the Jets, where year after year need to contribute net profit to other teams in the league while not getting any benefits, it will be great entertainment for sure.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
o
Totally agree and very well stated. But good thing is we may lose da 10+ or so US teams and maybe Ottawa who should have never been allowed in da league. or maybe Gary will make it 2 more years and get his big US national contract and da pain maybe worth it. Either way he likely retires after contract is done. Then he can say he did what he set out to do. or he tried and got COVIDed.

Reactions: Gabriel426

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I don't know about $40m, but I can't see the owners agree to start a new season with an $80m cap in a climate where future revenues are so uncertain. They may have to play the entire 20-21 season in front of no fans.

We're in for a ton of back-and-forth between the NHL and NHLPA.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think League might just go Capless for a season or two, lol.

Funny thing is, the League was much better when there isn’t a Cap. Teams adopted ways to keep their players and remain competitive.
Rich teams did. That era also resulted in a ton of Bobby Holik contracts, which in this era would result in a vast inflation of player contracts.

The NHL salary cap saved GMs from themselves.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
For sh*ts and giggles I looked up both US and Canada TV national deals currently in place. Only about $20M per team. Now not sure what the TV and radio regional deals are for each team but FOX is reported to have a few US ones at around $10M per team. So really on a decent big market team with $200M in revenues TV and radio is very small. So gate is king in NHL.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't know about $40m, but I can't see the owners agree to start a new season with an $80m cap in a climate where future revenues are so uncertain. They may have to play the entire 20-21 season in front of no fans.

Not much to discuss really. 30M in TV and radio revenues per team. No gates. No sponsors. No food. No merch. If they split it 50/50 with players AND with no fans at games it comes to 15M CAP. Clearly NHL has to play in front of fans or else league makes no sense.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't see how the Leafs benefit. Salaries will still be a percentage of the cap.

That is what I think will happen; they will do a cap % for all the players under contract who arent RFA or UFA;
and teams will have to figure it out how to ice a 23 man roster

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I listened to the segment.

He's thinking of a 50% salary rollback along with a corresponding salary-cap reduction.

The details don't really matter. The NHL and NHLPA are locked into a 50-50 split of HRR, whatever that may be. Whether it's a high cap and high escrow or a rolled-back cap with rolled-back salaries, the players and the owners as a whole end up in the same place.

Burke's point is there wont be enough HRR to support the salary structure as it is.

He also said that compliance buyouts are ineffective, and I agree on that point. They don't address the underlying issue.

Burke didnt say this, but I say that if nothing else is done then escrow will take care of everything.

The problem is the if HRR drops in half, escrow would have to be 50% of salary or more to cover revenue projections and more to leave some cushion in case revenue does not meet projections.

I can't see that being too popular either.

This is why so many players are keen on finishing the season.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I get how you thinks it's cool or something to replace the word "the" with the word "da" but this post was almost unreadable because of it. It's very distracting and slows down everyone's reading. It's similar to people who refuse to use the word "than". It disrupts people who want to read quickly. The content of your posts is fine but people are just going to start blocking you if it continues.

Yup. I can’t say if I used the ignore function for that poster but it’s unreadable and annoying.

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
I hope Tavares, Nylander, Marner and Matthews are ready to play 60+ min each game lol

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

At that point, it's a very simple equation for the players. If they want to play, they have to agree to a salary rollback based on a new salary cap as per the previously determined percentage of league revenues. Take it or leave it.

If their salaries are cut in half for a couple of years, I certainly wouldn't shed any tears for them, all things considered.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

Bang on. It’s a disgrace that Bettman has NHL teams in American cities that don’t give 2 shits about hockey. I have no issue with expanding in the states, but put teams in cities that can support it, not rely on revenue sharing.

Every boo Bettman has ever gotten is well deserved.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad