Speculation: Brian Burke Believes Matthews Will Leave Toronto In 5 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Here’s what you SPECIFICALLY said in regards to Aho and taxes.

That’s the ENTIRE eight percent.

Lol

So, based on YOUR argument, Aho’s ENTIRE tax advantage is balanced by the lower aav.

You just spin everything around all over the place. There is absolutely NO consistency.

i CAN’T WAIT to read your response. I literally can’t wait.

Unmmmmm I think you are missing the point????

No matter what take home pay the player decides on. The high tax team has to pay the same percentage more to equalize the payment?

It doesn’t matter whether the take home pay is 5 million or 10 million or whatever.

The team gets to sign the player for the exact same net. For the exact same lower percentage. EVERY single time.

The team can match with higher cap. Or even overpay. But regardless it costs Tampa X-15% ish to get the same player for the same net money.

That’s the point. That’s consistent

Flipping back and forth like you did in the Laine thread is Inconsistent and embarrassing

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
If you agree with Burke why would the NTC matter if he wants to leave anyway ?

NTC means he can decline a trade that has better return for us if he doesn’t want to go there.

If he will only waive for 10 teams, limits our choices and probably our return.

Trade him before his NTC and send him wherever the return is best, and if it happens to be rotting somewhere, so be it...

..... of course I would like nothing more than to extend Matthews as long as possible, but if he isn’t signing, we won’t lose him for nothing and not at a reduced return due to a NTC.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
NTC means he can decline a trade that has better return for us if he doesn’t want to go there.

Trade him before his NTC and send him wherever the return is best, and if it happens to be rotting somewhere, so be it...

..... of course I would like nothing more than to extend Matthews as long as possible, but if he isn’t signing, we won’t lose him for nothing and not at a reduced return due to a NTC.

I agree, but I just don't think the NTC completely means Dubas has no options.

IMO he will sign again in Toronto. Nothing so far would make me think otherwise.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Unmmmmm I think you are missing the point????

No matter what take home pay the player decides on. The high tax team has to pay the same percentage more to equalize the payment?

It doesn’t matter whether the take home pay is 5 million or 10 million or whatever.

The team gets to sign the player for the exact same net. For the exact same lower percentage. EVERY single time.

The team can match with higher cap. Or even overpay. But regardless it costs Tampa X-15% ish to get the same player for the same net money.

That’s the point. That’s consistent

Flipping back and forth like you did in the Laine thread is Inconsistent and embarrassing
Nope. According to your very words, Aho would have an 8% higher aav in Toronto. So he quite literally has no tax savings for signing in Carolina. That’s SPECIFICALLY what you wrote.

So, being CONSISTENT to that, Matthews would have no tax savings either for signing in Phoenix.

You’ve been caught in a lie once again. I’m not going to stop bringing it up.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Sure, if he hasn't resigned before the last year of his contract, trading him probably makes sense.

Let's revisit this 4 years from now. :)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Nope. According to your very words, Aho would have an 8% higher aav in Toronto. So he quite literally has no tax savings for signing in Carolina. That’s SPECIFICALLY what you wrote.

So, being CONSISTENT to that, Matthews would have no tax savings either for signing in Phoenix.

You’ve been caught in a lie once again. I’m not going to stop bringing it up.

Huh? I don’t think you know how math works?

Of course you don’t know how consistency works either????

I will go slow.

IF you buy a snickers for a dollar.

If the tax rate in Ontario is 15% it costs you 1.15
If the tax rate in Alberta is 10% it costs you 1.10’
If the tax rate in Manitoba is 0. It costs you 1.00

It’s not hard. High tax rate means you pay more for the same product.

You are so embarrassed that you were outed that you forgot how math works.

Kinda sad.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My prediction:

If he hasn't signed an extension at some point in year 4 he will be traded. Maybe even before year 4 starts to avoid the "but they're in a playoff run" talk.

Problem while that makes logical sense to reduce risk for the team, its also not possible due the CBA rules.

Contract years run from July 1st - June 30th and as per CBA Matthews (any multi-year contract) is not eligible for an extension/new deal until the final year begins.

So July 1st of his 5th year is when he would be eligible to sign his next deal, but June 30th the day prior is when year #4 ends and his NMC clause kicks in.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Huh? I don’t think you know how math works?

Of course you don’t know how consistency works either????

I will go slow.

IF you buy a snickers for a dollar.

If the tax rate in Ontario is 15% it costs you 1.15
If the tax rate in Alberta is 10% it costs you 1.10’
If the tax rate in Manitoba is 0. It costs you 1.00

It’s not hard. High tax rate means you pay more for the same product.

You are so embarrassed that you were outed that you forgot how math works.

Kinda sad.
Hahaha

The ol’ spin your way out of it.

Here’s what you wrote.
When we compare Marner to aho. Are we considering the 8% Difference in taxes. That would make Ahos 8.5 really 9.1

So, according to you, Aho’s tax “advantage” of 8% was COMPLETELY overridden by paying him 8% lower aav. That’s YOUR argument. You can’t spin your way out of (although lord knows you’re trying).

So Aho has NO advantage on his bottom line.

So why would Matthews in moving to Phoenix? Why do your arguments always have to change when we apply them to leaf players?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Old Man yells at cloud.... Burke is attempting to be the next Don Cherry.

If Matthews wants to leave, he will... or maybe not... but that's in five years, so who cares, enjoy things until then.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hahaha

The ol’ spin your way out of it.

Here’s what you wrote.

So, according to you, Aho’s tax “advantage” of 8% was COMPLETELY overridden by paying him 8% lower aav. That’s YOUR argument. You can’t spin your way out of (although lord knows you’re trying).

So Aho has NO advantage on his bottom line.

So why would Matthews in moving to Phoenix? Why do you arguments always have to change when we apply them to leaf players?

Ummmm no?

Aho makes 8.5 million. He gets less money if he makes that money in Toronto?

We don’t have to change arguments.

IF Matthews were offered 10 million in Phoenix toronto would have to pay more to offer the same take home......

It’s not hard

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If it gets to anything near the Trouba saga, the return may very well be at a reduced rate. The advantage Leafs have is that they can pay more than Zona can so it depends on how much Matty wants to play at home. My bet is he values money more.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Ummmm no?

Aho makes 8.5 million. He gets less money if he makes that money in Toronto?

We don’t have to change arguments.

IF Matthews were offered 10 million in Phoenix toronto would have to pay more to offer the same take home......

It’s not hard
Nope. You said 8.5 in Carolina is 9.1 in Toronto. THATS what you said. So there was NO advantage for Aho.

So why is there an advantage for Matthews in going to Phoenix? Won’t they just subtract his tax advantage out of his aav, like you said they did with Aho?

Be CONSISTENT!!!

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nope. You said 8.5 in Carolina is 9.1 in Toronto. THATS what you said. So there was NO advantage for Aho.

So why is there an advantage for Matthews in going to Phoenix? Won’t they just subtract his tax advantage out of his aav, like you said they did with Aho?

Be CONSISTENT!!!

Ok, they subtract his tax advantage except for 100-200k that goes into his pocket as savings. Now what?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Be CONSISTENT!!!

What? You don’t even know what you are arguing. As usual. No matter what ANY player signs for. At ANY number.

To give aho the same take home money in Toronto they would have to pay more than Carolina. Whatever the number is

Toronto will have to pay more money to provide the same take home number to start. Then they try to maximize tax advantages.

But no matter what. Toronto will ALWAYS have to pay more to give the same take home money to the player.

YOU linked an article. YOU showed us that.

You are really just embarrassing yourself.

Math is math. It is CONSISTENT

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Ok, they subtract his tax advantage except for 100-200k that goes into his pocket as savings. Now what?
According to Clark34, it was the entire 8% that was subtracted from his aav. I’ve quoted him numerous times. Now he denies that is the case.

That is the PRECISE inconsistency I’m talking about.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
McDavid got $100 million....what a team player. Why didn't he take even less, though? Then maybe the Oilers could have solved their D, depth and Goalie issues?

Surely if he was smart and cared about the team as much as inferred here, he would have acknowledged the issues the team had and sacrificed even more of his salary for a chance to win? Why not play for the minimum? Sounds to me like he's a greedy Canadian

By all accounts, it sounds like McDavid could have taken up to ~15 mil x 8. That's an extra 2+mil per year he left on the table, while still taking an 8 year deal.

Matthew's wanted 13+ mil on an 8 year term so dubas shortened the deal to get the aav down. The fact auston thinks he's worth more than mcd is offensive.

Reactions: dsred

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
What? You don’t even know what you are arguing. As usual. No matter what ANY player signs for. At ANY number.

To give aho the same take home money in Toronto they would have to pay more than Carolina. Whatever the number is

Toronto will have to pay more money to provide the same take home number to start. Then they try to maximize tax advantages.

But no matter what. Toronto will ALWAYS have to pay more to give the same take home money to the player.

YOU linked an article. YOU showed us that.

You are really just embarrassing yourself.

Math is math. It is CONSISTENT

Here is what you said.

When we compare Marner to aho. Are we considering the 8% Difference in taxes. That would make Ahos 8.5 really 9.1

So you agree that’s the entire 8% they subtracted from his aav, right? So there was NO financial advantage for Aho signing in Carolina, right?

Ok.

Let’s be consistent.

Why would it be any different for Matthews going to Phoenix?

Hahahah. You’ve been caught in a lie, and you’re trying to just spin everything all around now to save face. But you’re fooling absolutely nobody.

This is SOOOOOO much fun. I love it so much.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
According to Clark34, it was the entire 8% that was subtracted from his aav. I’ve quoted him numerous times. Now he denies that is the case.

That is the PRECISE inconsistency I’m talking about.

Huh? What 8% gets deducted?

The salary is the salary.

He has no idea what he is talking about. It’s the same thing...... he wants to rile people up. Makes weird claims. And tries to twist things. But it never makes sense.

It’s bizzare

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
The Leafs are a first-rate organization and are striving to be better all the time. It is one of the marquee franchises in the sport with a permanent place of honour reserved for the players who finally bring the Cup home.

They have shown a willingness to do whatever it takes to be successful, including bringing in a highly-accomplished head coach (live him or hate him, they had to pony up), biggest ticket free agent in a decade, and every cap shenanigan in the book to maximize their spending advantage. They've also shown a willingness to (over)pay their star players (namely Matthews himself).

They are putting themselves in a great position to retain Matthews longterm. That's all they can really do. I don't buy into this narrative that Matthews has one foot out the door.

Reactions: LeafSteel

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
1.Matthews is the only one of our RFA to re-sign early, despite being the most likely to receive offersheets.
2.Matthews wanted an 8 year deal.

Why does anyone think he of all players is going to leave? And why on earth would you worry about it for the next 5 years? especially after everyone being embarassed by all the silly "offersheet" crap of the last 3 years?

why does our media suck so bad that they can never actually talk about hockey?

8 year deal... At more money than McDavid. Is Matthews the best or second best player in the league?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Huh? What 8% gets deducted?

The salary is the salary.

He has no idea what he is talking about. It’s the same thing...... he wants to rile people up. Makes weird claims. And tries to twist things. But it never makes sense.

It’s bizzare

Hahahahah

So why did you add the full 8% tax difference?

Here’s what you wrote.

Aho’s 8.5 is really 9.1 in Toronto? That’s the full 8%. So, according to you, there was NO financial advantage for Aho signing in Carolina. His tax advantage was subtracted out of his aav. That’s YOUR argument. It’s there for everyone to read.

So why doesn’t this apply to Matthews signing in phoenix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad