Sportsnet: Brian Burke- “It’s time for William Nylander to move”

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Every UFA is overpaid, that's not the issue. The issue is the way the team is built is not a good look for success and Tavares was more of a luxury. That money could have went into other areas of the team.
This I agree with but it's done now and JT is here with a nmc. Hopefully dubas trades a few forwards like nylander kapanen johnson etc for help on d.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
This I agree with but it's done now and JT is here with a nmc. Hopefully dubas trades a few forwards like nylander kapanen johnson etc for help on d.
And then your forward depth takes a hit so hopefully the big guns can handle the work load and the defense kind of evens it out

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
And then your forward depth takes a hit so hopefully the big guns can handle the work load and the defense kind of evens it out
The leafs have lots of forwards that can and will move up the line up. Mihkayev, kapanen, johnson, robertson, korshkov etc. They will be fine offensively.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Incoming @bernmeister proposal

Buch + Deangelo + Georgiev

Nylander + 1st

Thanks Thor.
This not only stands the test of time, it is all the more valid a prop after early Leafs exit.

On TOR side, Deangelo the real deal, not Barrie; also Buch defrays Nylander production but I can see EDM with need for Ws, something around Buch and Nurse as a base, notwithstanding fine tune of cap there; and Geo!!

Gloating/I told you so usually comes back later to bite in the ass, but this time I'll go there. Said Andy was not long term solution for Leafs. And I am being proven correct.
Rangers do not need a guy for performance/depth, but w/Geo gone could take Andy reduced and then try to flip him as a cheap rental, possibly/possibly not further retained. Of course, I'm not adding Andersson cap with nothing going the other way. Side deal, Andy reduced to 3 for Smith at 4.35 also expiring. Then Andersson reduced 1x if not 2x to DET/CHI/BUF as a stopgap.

While versatility is nice to consider down the road, Nylander is immediate RW fit bookending Kreider LW and Zib C.
Rangers have emerging D, G prospects.

Unless the Leafs are selling him for parts, which is very unlikely, they won’t be saying hi.

Pesce is more valuable to Carolina than Nylander would be. Folks are going overboard extrapolating the performance of the defense without him against a Rangers’ squad with underwhelming depth. There’s uncertainty with Hamilton, too. There was a time for that trade, but it has passed, imo.
Have not had a chance to congrat Canes on fine win.
Just adding more than depth. Deangelo had signif hamstring, should not have even played.
Why they didn't give mins to Hajek is perplexing.

Marner has a higher cap hit and will fetch you a better return. If you are trading one of the wingers, it should be Marner.
That is not a given, b'c the universe of teams with cap [put on shelf assets to deal] alone who can afford him, even retained, is dif., very dif.
BUF is a fit, that's mostly it.

I honestly can’t think of anyone in the league who would be able to absorb that entire salary without sending most of it back, never mind paying big assets for the privilege to do so.
BUF.

Marner for Ekblad
Not unreasonable to hope FL can do gyrations and move enuf cap without getting boned to do so.
However, while happy for player resurgence, but Edblad has lie what, 4 concussions we know about? Too much risk.

Oct 18, 2011
Nylander showed a lot more grit this year than he did a year ago. He's not overpaid. It was him jamming the net that started the game four comeback. I think moving Marner would make more sense, if you can unload his whole salary. That gives them enough room for Pietrangelo. Can you imagine Dubas actually landing a piece that suits the Leafs needs? Weird right?
Who can absorb Marners contract with sending almost no salary back in the current financial climate while also giving up the assets? This scenario is a pipe dream

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Ok. Great. Nylander for Bowen Byram. Straight hockey trade. No adds. No retention. Toronto gets a defender and cap space. Thank you for our second line winger for the next half decade.

Bad idea. A cost controlled D-man with huge upside for a Winger who just under-performed in the play ins?

Marner has a higher cap hit and will fetch you a better return. If you are trading one of the wingers, it should be Marner.

I think moving Marner would make more sense, if you can unload his whole salary.

But that's the issue, his huge cap hit. No team takes on that kinda money without sending you back a bunch as well.

1st line wingers are worth more then an offensive 2nd pair rd.

Generally D-men are worth more than comparable Wingers.

You better hope they improve every year because if not, Toronto is screwed

I have no reason to believe they wont.

But they didn't improve this year right? Less regular season pts/game % and you guys didn't make it to the official playoffs either.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He's only owed an average of 5.1M over the next 4 seasons in real dollars with the Leafs paying the signing bonus for next season already.

Despite his caphit and issues, plenty of teams would be interested in that. Though I don't think he gets you a top pairing dman under contract for multiple years unfortunately.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I agree since they came move the top 3 F and they gotta shake it up

DeAngelo and Strome would be offered by NYR imo plus . Leafs need a RD coming back regardless

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Trade Nylander for 2nd overall and draft Byram - Done and Done. He's probably ready to play now.

Use Seattle as a means to an end to reduce cap. Trade roster player or two + Salary dump

Leafs are back.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
GMs can see that Marner and Nylander are great talents in the regular games but turn into figure skaters when the serious games start. Those guys give you great stat lines during the season but will never win in the playoffs. Not too many teams have the cap room and a strong leadership core to absorb players like that.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Trade Nylander for 2nd overall and draft Byram - Done and Done. He's probably ready to play now.

Use Seattle as a means to an end to reduce cap. Trade roster player or two + Salary dump

Leafs are back.
You are dreaming if you think Nylander will get you 2nd OA. Overpaid and a under performer.

Reactions: bernmeister

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I forgot that Columbus drafted Jones.
People forget that Jones wasn’t a #1 D at the time of the trade. Immensely talented, but not a proven 1D.

even so, that trade looks pretty bad for Nashville now, so not sure people want to use that as an example of why teams should trade a 1D

that might be Toronto’s best option though. Trade for a talented, not completely proven/unproven guy and hope he reaches his potential.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Leafs are back.

You mean Byfield?
Somehow I doubt LA goes for this.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I forgot that Columbus drafted Jones.

Pretty sure Nashville is regretting that badly by now...
It also was for a young, #1 C (or atleast people thought that he already reached or was close to that level) with tons of team control...

So basically the only guy fitting that bill on the Leafs would be Matthews....

As an Avs fan that has watched his team try to trade for a young, quality D for almost a decade, I can tell you that it is almost impossible to get your hands on such a D. The only way these guys are available is if they are not established in the league as prospects or if they are close to UFA.
In both cases you have to take a huge gamble and usually also overpay to make it happen...

Last edited:
Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Troy

Nov 28, 2017

Leafs are back.
Colorado never do that trade

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hockey trade
Ducks- Nylander only, can't see a Marner deal - Manson + Comtois. @Getz2noone While personally I'd prefer futures and then signing Schultz/Tanev/Vatanen this deal certainly has appeal, and I wouldn't be mad if it went down.

Futures trades, both these teams have the cap space and asset base to go after either Nylander/Marner without touching their rosters

LA - 2nd / 35th / Vilardi / Kupari / Thomas /JAD
NJD 7th / 17th /20th / Foote /Kuokkanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad