Sportsnet: Brian Burke- “It’s time for William Nylander to move”

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Tell me more about the team that you know nothing about
you want to trade one of your best defenseman’s for a centre who literally struggles in the most important time of the year.

A guy who is highly respected around the league, and a true leader for the Minnesota wild

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
you want to trade one of your best defenseman’s for a centre who literally struggles in the most important time of the year.

A guy who is highly respected around the league, and a true leader for the Minnesota wild

He can come back in 2 years if he wants to.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
you want to trade one of your best defenseman’s for a centre who literally struggles in the most important time of the year
It's useless to have one of the best D cores in the NHL if it means playing Alex Galchenyuk as your 2C. I want my team to find a better balance. If Nylander is available, then that's a conversation that Minnesota has to have.

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
It's useless to have one of the best D cores in the NHL if it means playing Alex Galchenyuk as your 2C. I want my team to find a better balance. If Nylander is available, then that's a conversation that Minnesota has to have.
Start the conversation with another player, William Nylander is not the centre you’re looking for.

Don’t get me wrong buddy, trading dumba, Makes a bit of sense if you get a real Good center, Nylander is a good center, but he’s a regular season guy.

Dumba Goes to war literally every time I see him play, you win cups with players like him

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Carolina says hi

Unless the Leafs are selling him for parts, which is very unlikely, they won’t be saying hi.

Take Slavin off their hands lol.

Just kidding but they could get Pesce for him though.

Pesce is more valuable to Carolina than Nylander would be. Folks are going overboard extrapolating the performance of the defense without him against a Rangers’ squad with underwhelming depth. There’s uncertainty with Hamilton, too. There was a time for that trade, but it has passed, imo.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Probably best to revisit a MN/TOR trade after tomorrow night. I don't think that they want to trade Brodin, and while they might consider trading Dumba, I'm not sure that he is what TOR needs. I mean, he's a more physical guy than Barrie, and better defensively, but he is still of an offensive/PP type guy, not a defensive stopper.

I'm also not sure how much MN wants Nylander. His C play is not convincing, and the whole entitlement thing seems to cling to him...it won't wash in MN.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I9pveuP.png

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Manson + Rakell for nylander as a base.

Rakell is pretty similar production for half the price, and Manson should be an ideal partner for rielly... I suppose if they wanted the cap space and a power forward something around Manson + comtois Could be worked

I actually thought of that myself. I Think I would do it......

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
There are a few problems with the theory of trading Nylander.

Let's start with the positives.

Nylander is immensely gifted with offensive capabilities, across the board.
His skating is shifty and has solid speed as well.
He is coming off a very good year in Toronto.

Lets talk about the negatives.

Nylander simply has had countless opportunities to shine in the playoffs, and continues to disappear.
I would not say he has been "Bad" I think "Fine" is more fair, but the issue is when teams get bigger and stronger, he struggles.
Nylander's contract while decent, A good playoff performance would make it extremely worth it.
And the biggest problem with trading him: Marner and Matthews simply as better players and would be worth significantly more.
Nylander would not get the leafs a #1 Defender, while Marner might, and Matthews absolutely would.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
A player like Chris Tanev would have helped the Leafs. There was talks for a Nylander anf Tanev swap in the past. I think Tanev would have made that Leafs blueline solid. I’m glad Tanev is still with us as our #2.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

He would be the second best forward in the team and it would be a move from a position we’re capable of replacing. If he could workout at C that’s just a bonus.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Manson + Rakell for nylander as a base.

Rakell is pretty similar production for half the price, and Manson should be an ideal partner for rielly... I suppose if they wanted the cap space and a power forward something around Manson + comtois Could be worked

Manson Rakell is a great return in any Nylander deal, so as long as the plus didn’t strip us bare, I’d be all over that.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
He would be the second best forward in the team and it would be a move from a position we’re capable of replacing. If he could workout at C that’s just a bonus.

Wild are absolutely not trading Brodin or Dumba for wingers, no chance.

One of the big reasons Zucker was moved was to make room in top 4 f for Kaprizov.

Unless Zuccarello, Or Parise gets moved, there is zero chance

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
A player like Chris Tanev would have helped the Leafs. There was talks for a Nylander anf Tanev swap in the past. I think Tanev would have made that Leafs blueline solid. I’m glad Tanev is still with us as our #2.
Tanev would have honestly cost a 2nd rounder at the time, coming off a ton of injuries.
It's been amazing he has been healthy this entire season, which has been a huge part of vancouver.

Don't think Nylander would ever be involved in a tanev deal

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
There are a few problems with the theory of trading Nylander.

Let's start with the positives.

Nylander is immensely gifted with offensive capabilities, across the board.
His skating is shifty and has solid speed as well.
He is coming off a very good year in Toronto.

Lets talk about the negatives.

Nylander simply has had countless opportunities to shine in the playoffs, and continues to disappear.
I would not say he has been "Bad" I think "Fine" is more fair, but the issue is when teams get bigger and stronger, he struggles.
Nylander's contract while decent, A good playoff performance would make it extremely worth it.
And the biggest problem with trading him: Marner and Matthews simply as better players and would be worth significantly more.
Nylander would not get the leafs a #1 Defender, while Marner might, and Matthews absolutely would.

Don’t need to shoot for the moon - Toronto needs to add high quality depth. They need more Muzzins and Hymans. Matthews isn’t going anywhere until he potentially Walsh at the end of his deal.

Reactions: Canucks LB

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Wild are absolutely not trading Brodin or Dumba for wingers, no chance.

One of the big reasons Zucker was moved was to make room in top 4 f for Kaprizov.

Unless Zuccarello, Or Parise gets moved, there is zero chance
We wouldn’t acquire him to play him in the wing. The decision of if he can play the center ice position is one that Guerin and his staff will have to make internally, but I wouldn’t make any snap judgements off tonight. I’ve seen him play better through the middle.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Don’t need to shoot for the moon - Toronto needs to add high quality depth. They need more Muzzins and Hymans. Matthews isn’t going anywhere until he potentially Walsh at the end of his deal.
This is a great post, agree 100%.

Improve the depth first, getting a #1 D is near impossible.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Let's say hypothetically the leafs decide to trade a guy like Marner.
Which Young #1 Defender would be potentially involved in a deal for him?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Let's say hypothetically the leafs decide to trade a guy like Marner.
Which Young #1 Defender would be potentially involved in a deal for him?

I have no idea but someone would be getting an incredible player. 94 points at age 20.

Problem is, you need to surround him with big boys, much like Johnny Hockey out in Calgary.

I want to see the Leafs move him, but it’s 100% given that they will lose the deal long term. Unfortunately he priced himself out of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad