News Article: Brian Burke: ‘Mikhail Grabovski is just a class act’

• Thread starter BiggestLeafsFanEVER*
  • Start date

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Clarkson's got a bad contract, but make no mistake, we're gonna love him as a player.

And, unlike some others, he actually brings us something we lack, and doesn't just bring us more of the same.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
and ex-leaf gm is talking about a loved ex-leaf player. Do you not see the connection?

By the former GM who gave him a ridiculous contract, Grabo has been demoted to the 3rd line, after a fast start his game has flat lined, no surprise.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Grabo played like 13 minutes last night and was not on the PP. How long until he goes on a rant about Adam Oates?

Oates does that from time to time to kick players in the pants. Lots of coaches do, fact remains he has put up points and has a good FO% if it's like this for 5 games there's a problem.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
By the former GM who gave him a ridiculous contract, Grabo has been demoted to the 3rd line, after a fast start his game has flat lined, no surprise.

His game hasn't flatlined, Oates is just incompetent when it comes to lines. Took him 7 games to realize that Erat should be on the 2nd line, but instead of demoting Brooks Laich, he puts the better player, Grabovski, on the 3rd. Using Oates' line combos as a factor in telling who has been playing well/poorly is not a good idea.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
His game hasn't flatlined, Oates is just incompetent when it comes to lines. Took him 7 games to realize that Erat should be on the 2nd line, but instead of demoting Brooks Laich, he puts the better player, Grabovski, on the 3rd. Using Oates' line combos as a factor in telling who has been playing well/poorly is not a good idea.

Brooks Laich has played well every game I watched....and he scored last night....I guess Oates knows more then you think. They also won.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Grabo played like 13 minutes last night and was not on the PP. How long until he goes on a rant about Adam Oates?

More importantly, how long until the entire internet stats community starts savaging him on a daily basis?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Looks like demoting Grabo and promoting Laich ended up with the Caps playing their best game of the season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Brooks Laich has played well every game I watched....and he scored last night....I guess Oates knows more then you think. They also won.

I watch Caps games when I can, there was a clear problem with the second line. Oates made the adjustments and Laich and Erat came through with a big night. I would say Oates knows what he is doing.

Bottom line, Laich got the second line some production. Made his line mates more effective, something that was missing prior to yesterday's game.

We all know how Grabo has difficulty creating for his line mates, we saw this last year with the Leafs.

Last edited:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
If the better player isn't playing like the better player than you're making it a hard case to argue that a coach should reward that player regardless of that.

Grabo is a good player but some people are quick to jump on the coach...maybe you should consider what Grabo is doing that has his coaches diminishing his role. If the player isn't performing in the role that he should be excelling in, then I don't think it's unfair for a coach giving the role to someone else who is willing and able to step up. That may result in a player being forced into a new role they don't like but players have to be accountable for their performances. Not every coach is willing to give it 50 games into the season for an offensive minded player to start finding his offensive game.

Grabo has the ability to turn it around and he very possibly can but no reason to act like the guy walks on water and can do no wrong.

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
Grabbo was given every oportunity to succeed. He failed and ended up on the 3rd line. Nobody's fault but his own. Same thing in Montreal and before its all said and done in Washington, it will be same way. Caps wont resign Grabbo after his 1 yr/3mill contract.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
not sure if you're referring to Bozak, Clarkson, Gunnarsson, Kadri or Raymond

oops you mean all of them:laugh:

BTW the Sabres are currently looking for new fans in S. On., you should maybe think about applying.......lol

agreed, in every thread Disgruntled Observer is complaining about something. Pretty sure we get your point.

So annoying, i understand being frustrated but you sound like a little girl

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
Grabbo was given every oportunity to succeed. He failed and ended up on the 3rd line. Nobody's fault but his own. Same thing in Montreal and before its all said and done in Washington, it will be same way. Caps wont resign Grabbo after his 1 yr/3mill contract.

Not really. He was put on the checking line to start and was never on Kessel's line. He was never given Lupul either.

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
Not really. He was put on the checking line to start and was never on Kessel's line. He was never given Lupul either.

maybe i was watching another Grabbo. From the time Carlyle got here, he gave Grabbo all kinds of chances, everywhere. He failed. People get impressed seeing Grabbo flying all over the place and accomplishing little. They say he was "tough". Well if "tough" is always on the receiving end of punishment, then yea, he was tough..lol. A severely overpaid hockey player and he should be a poster child on why u dont pay someone on stats alone. He sat around for months, free for the taking and 29 teams took a pass on him. One team, Washingon bit for 3 mill/ 1 season. Now on the 3rd line...hmmmmm

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Agreed. And he seemed to sulk rather than playing harder And the 5.5 cap hit was just wayyy too much

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
maybe i was watching another Grabbo. From the time Carlyle got here, he gave Grabbo all kinds of chances, everywhere. He failed. People get impressed seeing Grabbo flying all over the place and accomplishing little. They say he was "tough". Well if "tough" is always on the receiving end of punishment, then yea, he was tough..lol. A severely overpaid hockey player and he should be a poster child on why u dont pay someone on stats alone. He sat around for months, free for the taking and 29 teams took a pass on him. One team, Washingon bit for 3 mill/ 1 season. Now on the 3rd line...hmmmmm

As the guy who wanted Grabo gone a few years ago, even I know you're just not telling the truth. Maybe you need to watch more games but...

Carlyle put Grabovski in a checking role. If that's giving him a "chance", then sure. But Grabovski isn't a checkling centre. He was given MacArthur and Kulemin, but never in a scoring role. Those roles were given to Bozak-Kessel and Kadri-Lupul lines.

Grabovski never played with Kessel or Lupul in Toronto. Here: http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-co...m=TOR&strength=EV&playertype=F&gametype=ALL#A

Look at Grabovski's most common linemates: McClement, Kulemin, Komarov, and MacArthur. All four were terrible in the offensive end. The first three were primarily checkers and MacArthur was given a checking role which he couldn't do.

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
As the guy who wanted Grabo gone a few years ago, even I know you're just not telling the truth. Maybe you need to watch more games but...

Carlyle put Grabovski in a checking role. If that's giving him a "chance", then sure. But Grabovski isn't a checkling centre. He was given MacArthur and Kulemin, but never in a scoring role. Those roles were given to Bozak-Kessel and Kadri-Lupul lines.

Grabovski never played with Kessel or Lupul in Toronto. Here: http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-co...m=TOR&strength=EV&playertype=F&gametype=ALL#A

Look at Grabovski's most common linemates: McClement, Kulemin, Komarov, and MacArthur. All four were terrible in the offensive end. The first three were primarily checkers and MacArthur was given a checking role which he couldn't do.

he was tried everywhere. I havent missed a game 30 some odd yrs. It doesnt and didnt take Carlyle long to realize Grabbo didnt fit with Kessel or Lupul or whoever. Grabbo got put with who he got put with because he didnt "fit" anywhere else.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I agree with you.

I would rather have Kadri and Bolland than Grabo.

But I'd rather have HUNDREDS of players other than Clarkson at his laughable 5.2 cap hit.

So good job Nonis, at buying out an over paid player.
But **** YOU Nonis, for taking that money, and handing out an even WORSE contract!!!

It was just so stupid.

Thankfully the team seems good enough to compensate for that PSYCHOTICALLY STUPID mistake.

You maybe be 100% correct regarding the Clarkson deal.

I'll reserve judgment on that till the end of next season tho.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Your opinion is incorrect.

Clarkson has played 7 nhl seasons and over 300 career games.
Through those seasons, he has averaged 30 points.
So the argument of "he hasn't played a game for US yet" is asinine. You really think that just because he puts on a leaf jersey he'll MAGICALLY turn into some other player?

29 year old players are given contracts based on what they've been, not on what we want them to be!!!!
Nonis ****ed up.

Come on DO, you know better then that, it's not about Harry Potter magic, it could be something as simple as, great line chemistry, one that brings out the best in all 3 forwards.

Similar "types of fit" i can see happening from days gone by, Brian Sutter, Clark Gilles, Bob Probert,Gerard Gallant,Al Secord,Charlie Simmer, Gary Roberts.

Will he match what those stars did? i doubt it, but i do see the similarities in skill set, playing style and line formations.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
he was tried everywhere. I havent missed a game 30 some odd yrs. It doesnt and didnt take Carlyle long to realize Grabbo didnt fit with Kessel or Lupul or whoever. Grabbo got put with who he got put with because he didnt "fit" anywhere else.

Well if your gonna pull out the seniority card, then sit down kid, I've been doing this 41 years and i can tell you, Grabo was never given a solid shot to line up with Kessel,Lups.

Thats said, Grabos contract had to go under the circumstances.

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
Well if your gonna pull out the seniority card, then sit down kid, I've been doing this 41 years and i can tell you, Grabo was never given a solid shot to line up with Kessel,Lups.

Thats said, Grabos contract had to go under the circumstances.

if grabbo was a 5.5 million dollar player, he'd be here. Fact is, Carlyle gave him opportunities and he failed. He ended up where he is because of his all around abilities. And that isnt much. Wilson worshipped the guy and we went nowhere. Ill take Carlyles opinions on players anyday of the week over Wilsons. Grabbo is now on Washington's 3rd line. Where he belongs. Hes a glorified pond hockey AHL star. Hes not a solid NHL player and was way overrated bythe Leafs. Leafs had the money, they decided to spend it elsewhere. FACT, ie; Clarkson

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
if grabbo was a 5.5 million dollar player, he'd be here. Fact is, Carlyle gave him opportunities and he failed. He ended up where he is because of his all around abilities. And that isnt much. Wilson worshipped the guy and we went nowhere. Ill take Carlyles opinions on players anyday of the week over Wilsons. Grabbo is now on Washington's 3rd line. Where he belongs. Hes a glorified pond hockey AHL star. Hes not a solid NHL player and was way overrated bythe Leafs. Leafs had the money, they decided t spend it elsewhere. FACT

No he didn't. I posted the link like 5 posts above but instead you just say things like FACT. I provided actual information. Factual based evidence that can't be disputed. He was not tried everywhere. He spent a majority of his time with the four players listed above. Read the link. I gave you actual evidence which you ignored but instead decided to sprout ignorance.

I mean, it's kind of ridiculous. It's like saying "The world is flat. Why? FACT" or "Kessel plays centre. Why? FACT".

30 years of opinion. Provide fact. Show me the times Grabovski got to play with Kessel or Lupul for an extended period of time. Everyone who has watched a Leafs game over the past 3 years knows that Grabovski never played with Kessel (maybe the odd time when they were both changing).

Not a solid NHL player? Are you insane? Grabovski didn't fit in the Leafs, but to say he isn't a NHL player, is ridiculous and completely untrue. If he wasn't, he would never be in the league for his length of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad