News Article: Brian Burke: ‘Mikhail Grabovski is just a class act’

• Thread starter BiggestLeafsFanEVER*
  • Start date

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
No he didn't. I posted the link like 5 posts above but instead you just say things like FACT. I provided actual information. Factual based evidence that can't be disputed. He was not tried everywhere. He spent a majority of his time with the four players listed above. Read the link. I gave you actual evidence which you ignored but instead decided to sprout ignorance.

I mean, it's kind of ridiculous. It's like saying "The world is flat. Why? FACT" or "Kessel plays centre. Why? FACT".

30 years of opinion. Provide fact. Show me the times Grabovski got to play with Kessel or Lupul for an extended period of time. Everyone who has watched a Leafs game over the past 3 years knows that Grabovski never played with Kessel (maybe the odd time when they were both changing).

Not a solid NHL player? Are you insane? Grabovski didn't fit in the Leafs, but to say he isn't a NHL player, is ridiculous and completely untrue. If he wasn't, he would never be in the league for his length of time.
The habs never thought he was either. Let him go fora song and dance. Leafs overrated him and went nowhere.
The Leafs succeeded when they played grabbo less. We made the playoffs finally and Grabbo was an afterthought gettng us there. Then he becomes a free agent and for 2 months he sits there. 29 teams 14 that didnt make the playoffs passed on a guy who couldvne been had for 3 mill / 1 season. Severely overrated , overpaid player and the 3rd team(Caps) is finding out in quick fashion.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The habs never thought he was either. Let him go fora song and dance. Leafs overrated him and went nowhere.
The Leafs succeeded when they played grabbo less. We made the playoffs finally and Grabbo was an afterthought gettng us there. Then he becomes a free agent and for 2 months he sits there. 29 teams 14 that didnt make the playoffs passed on a guy who couldvne been had for 3 mill / 1 season. Severely overrated , overpaid player and the 3rd team(Caps) is finding out in quick fashion.

I don't know that this is necessarily true.

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
He was passed over because he was overpaid with too much term. Everyone here agrees with that.

The cap went down and many teams had trouble fitting anyone in the cap - let alone a 5 million player for 5 years. On top of that, people weren't sure of his attitude after he ranted at his coach (turns out, it was his coach as backed up by Burke and MacArthur).

He was traded out of Montreal because Grabovski and the Kostitsyn didn't like each other. Grabovski wasn't fitting in as a young new NHL player, and Montreal had a choice of AK+SK or Grabovski. Ask Habs fans if they would do that trade again, and 90% of them would say no.

When the cap came down, Grabovski couldn't find any takers at a high number. Look at the number of NHL players who couldn't get deals or deals until very late. They include Wellwood, Raymond, Brunner, Morrow, Hainsey, Grabovski, Boyes, Mueller, Latendresse, Bryzgalov, Kobasew, Dvorak, Gill, Gilbert, It wasn't just Grabovski. Grabovski entered the FA market very late as the cap hit came down, and teams had to get creative. And I don't know how you got 29 teams that didn't want him. Grabovski had a choice of a few, and went to a team where Oates and McPhee said that Grabovski would be put into an offensive role on their 2nd line. That's BIG for him. That allows him to succeed and get a higher contract. It wouldn't make sense for him to take and extra 500k-1M on a team that isn't as offensively inclined as Washington because how Grabovski does this year, impacts his future contracts.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan

And why was it that RC played Grabo in the playoffs (ES) more than ANY other Leaf forward and gave Grabo almost twice as much ice time in one game than he gave Kadri?

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
I don't know that this is necessarily true.

28 , sorry..lets not count the Leafs. Grabbo was free for any team to sign him. Not sure exactly how long he sat idle but it was close to 2 months. "quality" Free agents get scooped up quickly. Obvious to me he wasnt sought after by anyone or he wouldve been signed long before he was IMO. Then he signs 1 yr /3mill??? he was holding out for that? curious to see his next contract. Hes now residing on the CAPS 3rd line. Exactly where Carlyle had him. I see him in the KHL next year.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Possibly b/c Grabs can play with fire ....... maybe a chance to prove himself. Who knows. In the end, I think Nonis decided his cap hit was just too much for what he brings to the table. Plus, the Leafs needed to get bigger/tougher and needed some more leadership.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
28 , sorry..lets not count the Leafs. Grabbo was free for any team to sign him. Not sure exactly how long he sat idle but it was close to 2 months. "quality" Free agents get scooped up quickly. Obvious to me he wasnt sought after by anyone or he wouldve been signed long before he was IMO. Then he signs 1 yr /3mill??? he was holding out for that? curious to see his next contract. Hes now residing on the CAPS 3rd line. Exactly where Carlyle had him. I see him in the KHL next year.

I don't know what his motivation was or why he waited to sign with the Caps. I just think it's silly to assume no one wanted him because he didn't sign right away.

He could very well be in the KHL next year, that doesn't mean he can't play in the NHL.

I'm glad he's no longer a Leaf, was never much of a fan but I do realize he is an NHL calibre player.

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
Possibly b/c Grabs can play with fire ....... maybe a chance to prove himself. Who knows. In the end, I think Nonis decided his cap hit was just too much for what he brings to the table. Plus, the Leafs needed to get bigger/tougher and needed some more leadership.

excellent points

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
He was passed over because he was overpaid with too much term. Everyone here agrees with that.

The cap went down and many teams had trouble fitting anyone in the cap - let alone a 5 million player for 5 years. On top of that, people weren't sure of his attitude after he ranted at his coach (turns out, it was his coach as backed up by Burke and MacArthur).

He was traded out of Montreal because Grabovski and the Kostitsyn didn't like each other. Grabovski wasn't fitting in as a young new NHL player, and Montreal had a choice of AK+SK or Grabovski. Ask Habs fans if they would do that trade again, and 90% of them would say no.

When the cap came down, Grabovski couldn't find any takers at a high number. Look at the number of NHL players who couldn't get deals or deals until very late. They include Wellwood, Raymond, Brunner, Morrow, Hainsey, Grabovski, Boyes, Mueller, Latendresse, Bryzgalov, Kobasew, Dvorak, Gill, Gilbert, It wasn't just Grabovski. Grabovski entered the FA market very late as the cap hit came down, and teams had to get creative. And I don't know how you got 29 teams that didn't want him. Grabovski had a choice of a few, and went to a team where Oates and McPhee said that Grabovski would be put into an offensive role on their 2nd line. That's BIG for him. That allows him to succeed and get a higher contract. It wouldn't make sense for him to take and extra 500k-1M on a team that isn't as offensively inclined as Washington because how Grabovski does this year, impacts his future contracts.

lol..he had no contract and no term . A free agent , free to sign with anyone for any money. He was BOUGHT out. There we no retrictions on him at all. Thats how the caps got him at 3mill, / 1 season...29 teams had "free" shot at him for 2 months. 1 taker..Wash

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I don't know what his motivation was or why he waited to sign with the Caps. I just think it's silly to assume no one wanted him because he didn't sign right away.

He could very well be in the KHL next year, that doesn't mean he can't play in the NHL.

I'm glad he's no longer a Leaf, was never much of a fan but I do realize he is an NHL calibre player.

It is silly to assume it meant nobody wanted him, but it is very reasonable to assume it meant nobody wanted to sign him for the price he though he was worth.

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
Well if your gonna pull out the seniority card, then sit down kid, I've been doing this 41 years and i can tell you, Grabo was never given a solid shot to line up with Kessel,Lups.

Thats said, Grabos contract had to go under the circumstances.

and i brought the "seniority" card in because the poster suggested i start watching some Leaf games. So i said that, not trying to pound my chest. Just responding to somone who suggested i dont watch Leaf games.

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
lol..he had no contract and no term . A free agent , free to sign with anyone for any money. He was BOUGHT out. There we no retrictions on him at all. Thats how the caps got him at 3mill, / 1 season...29 teams had "free" shot at him for 2 months. 1 taker..Wash

Do you ever read who you respond to? I mean, everyone is disagreeing with some of your points but you just mindlessly respond and not read. You just respond with "lol".

Look at all those players I listed. Guys like Brunner had 4 months to sign with a team! Hainsey too!

When you become a free agent, especially after you get bought out suddenly, its a shock to the player and their families. This isn't NHL 14 when you're on the market right away. You assess the situation, discuss your options, and the like. This isn't a video game. Part of the negotiation is holding out until teams like Washington figure out their cap or suffer injuries so you put your self in the best possible situation. Here is his agent saying that several teams were interested. http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/06/several-teams-interested-in-grabovski-agent

It's the same reason Bryzgalov hasn't signed a small deal. He wants a good situation.

There were restrictions on him. Teams like Philly, Boston had full line ups and were over the cap. It's not as easy when the cap goes down significantly to find work that best suits you. Im sure 29 teams would have signed Grabovski for 500k to play on their fourth line.

He went onto the market AFTER the UFA day. After all the other teams put in offers and signed other players to fill their line up. Again, do you not see how insane you sound? I mean, Rick Nash signed with NYR. Only 1 TAKER for him 2 years ago. Heck, I'm shocked Clarkson only had 1 Taker. Or McClement. Do you think Raymond only had 1 taker? Multiple teams submit offers that you never hear about.

You don't really use any facts and arguing with you is really rather pointless. No one disagrees that Grabovski wasn't a fit on the Leafs but you don't really help your arguments when you lie :(

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
Do you ever read who you respond to? I mean, everyone is disagreeing with some of your points but you just mindlessly respond and not read. You just respond with "lol".

Look at all those players I listed. Guys like Brunner had 4 months to sign with a team! Hainsey too!

When you become a free agent, especially after you get bought out suddenly, its a shock to the player and their families. This isn't NHL 14 when you're on the market right away. You assess the situation, discuss your options, and the like. This isn't a video game. Part of the negotiation is holding out until teams like Washington figure out their cap or suffer injuries so you put your self in the best possible situation. Here is his agent saying that several teams were interested. http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/06/several-teams-interested-in-grabovski-agent
fact is, he signed when he signed and plenty of teams were looking to fill their roster. Grabbo wasnt a hot comodity and if you cant see that, then i dont know. Hes a borderline NHL player. He dont fit in the NHL because hes not skilled enough in all areas to fit on anyones top 2 lines or he'd be there. Hes not the skill "type" to fit in a 3rd or 4th line role. This is why there are hundreds of these type of "Grabbo" type players in Europe and KHL. Thats just life in pro hockey.
It's the same reason Bryzgalov hasn't signed a small deal. He wants a good situation.

There were restrictions on him. Teams like Philly, Boston had full line ups and were over the cap. It's not as easy when the cap goes down significantly to find work that best suits you. Im sure 29 teams would have signed Grabovski for 500k to play on their fourth line.

He went onto the market AFTER the UFA day. After all the other teams put in offers and signed other players to fill their line up. Again, do you not see how insane you sound? I mean, Rick Nash signed with NYR. Only 1 TAKER for him 2 years ago. Heck, I'm shocked Clarkson only had 1 Taker. Or McClement. Do you think Raymond only had 1 taker? Multiple teams submit offers that you never hear about.

You don't really use any facts and arguing with you is really rather pointless. No one disagrees that Grabovski wasn't a fit on the Leafs but you don't really help your arguments when you lie :(

fact is, he signed when he signed and plenty of teams were looking to fill their roster. Grabbo wasnt a hot comodity and if you cant see that, then i dont know. Hes a borderline NHL player. He dont fit in the NHL because hes not skilled enough in all areas to fit on anyones top 2 lines or he'd be there. Hes not the skill "type" to fit in a 3rd or 4th line role. This is why there are hundreds of these type of "Grabbo" type players in Europe and KHL. Thats just life in pro hockey.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...eral_teams_after_mikhail_grabovski_agent.html

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada

Nothing would make me happier than for you to post a poll on the main board asking if they think Grabovski is a 1) NHL player 2) Borderline NHL player 3) does not deserve to be in the NHL.

If you think Grabovski is borderline in the NHL, then I'm not really sure how to respond at this point. You do know when he became a UFA right? Like it wasn't July 1st/4th like everyone else. But I think I'm done playing chess with a pigeon since you refuse to acknowledge anyone else's posts but just seemingly repeat what you've said 100x. I'm sure you've been watching the NHL for many years;) but if you want to be a solid poster, read other people's posts and respond.

I'm not going to repeat what I've said since I've written posts above yours about 4 times but think about posting that poll. :)

EDIT:

I posted that above ACC1224, but he refuses to acknowledge it and I'm not feeding a troll further.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, you should stop arguing nonsense points.

He's not borderline, at all. He's an NHL player who didn't fit the identity of the team he was signed with any longer.

Stop now, before you dig a bigger hole by post # 20.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nothing would make me happier than for you to post a poll on the main board asking if they think Grabovski is a 1) NHL player 2) Borderline NHL player 3) does not deserve to be in the NHL.

If you think Grabovski is borderline in the NHL, then I'm not really sure how to respond at this point. You do know when he became a UFA right? Like it wasn't July 1st/4th like everyone else. But I think I'm done playing chess with a pigeon since you refuse to acknowledge anyone else's posts but just seemingly repeat what you've said 100x. I'm sure you've been watching the NHL for many years;) but if you want to be a solid poster, read other people's posts and respond.

I'm not going to repeat what I've said since I've written posts above yours about 4 times but think about posting that poll. :)

EDIT:

I posted that above ACC1224, but he refuses to acknowledge it and I'm not feeding a troll further.

Grabo was bought out July 4th....just to clarify.

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario

EDIT:
i have my opinions, Nonis has his opinions, Carlyle has his opinions. I see Grabbo as an AHL/KHL/Euro player. I couldnt give a flyng you know what about a "poll" . If a "poll" says the Liberals are ahead in a poll, does that mean i have to believe or agree with that poll, change my thinking and vote Liberal???..I think what i think, i think what the Leafs management team thinks and probably at least 20 other teams. Not a top 6 fit, not a bottom 6 style. I honestly believe Grabbo is pond hockey type player who, in todays NHL , doesnt cut it. Washington now has him on the 3rd line, where according to you,and everyone else on the planet, he dont belong. How long is it before the totally classless Grabbo goes public and starts ripping Hall of Famer Adam Oates? Hes already ripped apart, Norris Trophy and Stanley Cup winner Randy Carlyle. This story should be interesting.

i have my opinions, Nonis has his opinions, Carlyle has his opinions. I see Grabbo as an AHL/KHL/Euro player. I couldnt give a flyng you know what about a "poll" . If a "poll" says the Liberals are ahead in a poll, does that mean i have to believe or agree with that poll, change my thinking and vote Liberal???..I think what i think, i think what the Leafs management team thinks and probably at least 20 other teams. Not a top 6 fit, not a bottom 6 style. I honestly believe Grabbo is pond hockey type player who, in todays NHL , doesnt cut it. Washington now has him on the 3rd line, where according to you,and everyone else on the planet, he dont belong. How long is it before the totally classless Grabbo goes public and starts ripping Hall of Famer Adam Oates? Hes already ripped apart, Norris Trophy and Stanley Cup winner Randy Carlyle. This story should be interesting.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Grabo was given full 2nd line minutes and linemates for the first 3 months under Carlyle.

He sucked at it, and the team sucked while he was sucking at it.

He was eventually replaced by a guy who actually earned that role, one Nazem Kadri.

The team continued to do better and better with the switch, so there was never a reason to change it and go back to the losing formula.

Now, after just a month in Washington getting full top-6 opportunity and linemates, he's screwed it up again and the team has sucked as well, and as soon as he was demoted to the 3rd line, the team put in its best game of the season, so good luck to him getting a top-6 shot again any time soon.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
What I do not get is the silly argument that Grabo did not get the opportunity to play with Kessel and Lupul etc. Why is that even a valid argument. There have been two coaches with vastly different philosophies in coaching strategies and neither of them thought that Grabo was an option as a number one center. This is a fact.....two NHL coaches did not think he was a player to center the top line. Both had him as their number two line until in the case of Carlyle who saw Kadri take over as the number two center as he was producing and Grabo was not.

You earn your opportunities not get them handed to you, and Grabo was not deserving of being used as our number one center based on the views of two vastly different coaches. Carlyle was not unfair to him, he simply got out played by Kadri....that is not a slight against Grabo as Kadri would out play many many centers in the league as he is very skilled. He was let go because he lost his job as a center in the Leafs top 6 and was not an effective 3rd line center with the cap hit that he had.

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
Grabo was given full 2nd line minutes and linemates for the first 3 months under Carlyle.

He sucked at it, and the team sucked while he was sucking at it.

He was eventually replaced by a guy who actually earned that role, one Nazem Kadri.

The team continued to do better and better with the switch, so there was never a reason to change it and go back to the losing formula.

Now, after just a month in Washington getting full top-6 opportunity and linemates, he's screwed it up again and the team has sucked as well, and as soon as he was demoted to the 3rd line, the team put in its best game of the season, so good luck to him getting a top-6 shot again any time soon.

Well said, FACT...lol

philozak

Oct 21, 2013
Ridgeway,Ontario
What I do not get is the silly argument that Grabo did not get the opportunity to play with Kessel and Lupul etc. Why is that even a valid argument. There have been two coaches with vastly different philosophies in coaching strategies and neither of them thought that Grabo was an option as a number one center. This is a fact.....two NHL coaches did not think he was a player to center the top line. Both had him as their number two line until in the case of Carlyle who saw Kadri take over as the number two center as he was producing and Grabo was not.

You earn your opportunities not get them handed to you, and Grabo was not deserving of being used as our number one center based on the views of two vastly different coaches. Carlyle was not unfair to him, he simply got out played by Kadri....that is not a slight against Grabo as Kadri would out play many many centers in the league as he is very skilled. He was let go because he lost his job as a center in the Leafs top 6 and was not an effective 3rd line center with the cap hit that he had.
couldnt of said it better

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

There is a very wide gap between being a #1 centre and not being good enough for the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad