News Article: Brian Burke: ‘Mikhail Grabovski is just a class act’

• Thread starter BiggestLeafsFanEVER*
  • Start date

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
actually, Kadri's role wasn't very sheltered.

Amongst centres:

CorsiRelQoC: +0.444 (84th of 241)
CorsiQoC:+1.915 (18th of 241)
+/- QoC: -0.007 (106th of 241)

Even if you adjust further down for team effects, he's still middle of the pack in qualcomp, really.

I figure Kadri is about as sheltered as Lupul

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
That first Caps game this season is all Grabbo had in the tank. Now you'll get a goal out of him maybe once every 10 games. Maybe Carlyle wasn't to blame for his shortcomings after all. Don't get me wrong, I liked the guy, and he was my favourite Leaf during his 29-goal season, but he just didn't work out for a 5.5m cap hit.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
4 of those points were in the first game, he's since put up 2 points in the last 6 games.
That is true but would you discredit Kessel if he did that then went "cold"? Still though, he has the best +- rating on the team while he was one of the worst on the Leafs. As much as I do hate that rating, it does show some improvement

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
That is true but would you discredit Kessel if he did that then went "cold"? Still though, he has the best +- rating on the team while he was one of the worst on the Leafs. As much as I do hate that rating, it does show some improvement

The +- probably speaks more about his team/teammates then Grabo.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Before last season he was consistently one of the Leafs best forwards/players +/- on a team that was largely a -.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
But Grabovski's repeated scoring slumps were the result of the quality of his linemates? He was going to shine in Washington. That's what I've kept reading.

There's nothing new here. I think he has proven in both Montreal and Toronto that all star caliber linemates don't enhance his production. The best match for him are defensively responsible wingers.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've watched a lot of games for Washington this year, Grabo is Grabo. The only difference this year is he has 5 PP points working on a lethal Washington PP, only 1 ES point. I will give him credit for finding a spot down low off the side of the net, where he works set plays well on the PP

I can see why Ribeiro who signed as a UFA is in a slump this year, when you play with Backstrom, Ovie, Green on the PP you are going to pad points. I don't see much from him in terms of offence or making his lineamates better 5 on 5, this is where perhaps Oates has realized he is not a top 6C, so Grabo finds himself in a similar spot as last year. Will be interesting to see how he plays. If he continues on the PP, he still should get his points.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Nonis even said Grabo was a great guy to have... but his play didn't fit their style, and probably that god awful contract too. Hope he does well elsewhere.

But then again Bozak isn't worth 5.5 mill either because he can't score. He only passes lol. If he could start scoring more goals I would be alot happier with Bozak.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I've watched a lot of games for Washington this year, Grabo is Grabo. The only difference this year is he has 5 PP points working on a lethal Washington PP, only 1 ES point. I will give him credit for finding a spot down low off the side of the net, where he works set plays well on the PP

I can see why Ribeiro who signed as a UFA is in a slump this year, when you play with Backstrom, Ovie, Green on the PP you are going to pad points. I don't see much from him in terms of offence or making his lineamates better 5 on 5, this is where perhaps Oates has realized he is not a top 6C, so Grabo finds himself in a similar spot as last year. Will be interesting to see how he plays. If he continues on the PP, he still should get his points.

Grabovski has been one of our best players so far...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nonis even said Grabo was a great guy to have... but his play didn't fit their style, and probably that god awful contract too. Hope he does well elsewhere.

I think this is a Leafs policy, and it is a classy one that I will always endorse.

Randy Carlyle said the same thing when he was asked about Macarthur.

When players leave we thank them for their contributions, and wish them nothing but the best. We do not throw players under the bus. If they choose to do so to our organization, this is up to them. But we don't. We sincerely thank players for their contributions.

I may be paraphrasing, but I like this, it sends a clear message to players in the NHL Toronto is a class organization.

And I think this is why players want to play here now.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

The rest of the clubs top 8 scorers are -3 or worse. Except for Ovi no other Cap has more than 1 goal. He is not feeding off of that mess. I think they're just trying to give him a jump start but that club isn't making anyone look good right now. Their third line is purgatory with 1pt wingers. He is going to need some luck just to stay out of the toilet but at least he won't be blamed for not leading the club from the bottom 6.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

But then again Bozak isn't worth 5.5 mill either because he can't score. He only passes lol. If he could start scoring more goals I would be alot happier with Bozak.

Good Job Bozak is not being paid like Grabo was at 5.5M at 4.2M he is paid 1.3M less.

Grabo was playing with some good linemates and he was not producing...lets see at the end of the year, and besides he is not better then Kadri the player he lost his job to and Bolland the player who took his role...

Disgruntled Observer*

Grabovski had the BEST +/- on the entire team three seasons ago, at +14, while the next best player was +8.
And he was one of the the best +/- on the team two years ago.

Grabo simply had a bad year last season. It happens.

And you're right. He scores in bunches, just like Kessel has throughout most of his career.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Grabovski had the BEST +/- on the entire team three seasons ago, at +14, while the next best player was +8.
And he was one of the the best +/- on the team two years ago.

Grabo simply had a bad year last season. It happens.

And you're right. He scores in bunches, just like Kessel has throughout most of his career.

Difference between Kessel and Grabovski is huge.

Kessel has become far more consistent and when he's not scoring, he's still a playmaking threat.

PPG player compared to 50 point player.

We had to buy out Grabovski...he's the definition of hot and cold.

Disgruntled Observer*

Good Job Bozak is not being paid like Grabo was at 5.5M at 4.2M he is paid 1.3M less.

Grabo was playing with some good linemates and he was not producing...lets see at the end of the year, and besides he is not better then Kadri the player he lost his job to and Bolland the player who took his role...

I agree with you.

I would rather have Kadri and Bolland than Grabo.

But I'd rather have HUNDREDS of players other than Clarkson at his laughable 5.2 cap hit.

So good job Nonis, at buying out an over paid player.
But **** YOU Nonis, for taking that money, and handing out an even WORSE contract!!!

It was just so stupid.

Thankfully the team seems good enough to compensate for that PSYCHOTICALLY STUPID mistake.

Disgruntled Observer*

Difference between Kessel and Grabovski is huge.

Kessel has become far more consistent and when he's not scoring, he's still a playmaking threat.

PPG player compared to 50 point player.

We had to buy out Grabovski...he's the definition of hot and cold.

Agree with you 100%.

If only Nonis didn't take the money from the terrible Grabo contract, and hand out AN EVEN WORSE ****ING CONTRACT!!!
****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY ARE OUR GM'S SO ****ING STUPPPPPPIIIIDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ace88*

I agree with you.

But I'd rather have HUNDREDS of players other than Clarkson at his laughable 5.2 cap hit.

But **** YOU Nonis, for taking that money, and handing out an even WORSE contract!!!

It was just so stupid.

Thankfully the team seems good enough to compensate for that PSYCHOTICALLY STUPID mistake.

Say one good thing about the Leafs. Just on thing, without anything negative. I dare you. I double dare you.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I agree with you.

It was just so stupid.

Myself I will wait to see what Clarkson brings to the table before I state that Nonis made a bad decision. If Clarkson can play in our top 6 effectively and bring his game night in and night out, I will say that it was a good move. He should open up the ice for his linemates as well as help our forecheck and offensive zone possession time. He goes to the net harder then any other forward we have and this gives us another look.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Agree with you 100%.

If only Nonis didn't take the money from the terrible Grabo contract, and hand out AN EVEN WORSE ****ING CONTRACT!!!
****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY ARE OUR GM'S SO ****ING STUPPPPPPIIIIDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clarkson's contract is terrible, no debating that.

Let's hope we at least get what we signed him for...PWF, pest, ~40-45 point guy.

I think he's the kind of guy that helps you win playoff games. If that cap keeps increasing...I don't mind his contract but if it hinders our ability to be active in the UFA in the future, his contract is going to suck.

I look on the bright side in these type of situations: Most UFA's are overpaid and aren't as good as they were before they were signed to that contract...all teams fall victim to July 1st at one point or another.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Myself I will wait to see what Clarkson brings to the table before I state that Nonis made a bad decision. If Clarkson can play in our top 6 effectively and bring his game night in and night out, I will say that it was a good move. He should open up the ice for his linemates as well as help our forecheck and offensive zone possession time. He goes to the net harder then any other forward we have and this gives us another look.

To me, herein lies the problem. He's already been given a top 6 contract.

I like him and I like his game, but, if he's not a top 6 player, he's OVERPAID!

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
Clarkson's contract is terrible, no debating that. .

As bad as we think Clarksons contract is the guy hasn't even played a game, id say lets give him a season or two before hopping to that conclusion.

I see it this way, Clarkson at 5.25 million putting up 35-45 points bringing all his other intangibles is way better value than Grabo at 5.5 million putting up 45-55 points when we have Bozak, Kadri and Bolland centering our top 3 units.

Yeah it doesn't seem like great value for a guy who may just be a 2nd, 3rd liner but hes going to help this team in a huge way.

Disgruntled Observer*

As bad as we think Clarksons contract is the guy hasn't even played a game, id say lets give him a season or two before hopping to that conclusion.

Your opinion is incorrect.

Clarkson has played 7 nhl seasons and over 300 career games.
Through those seasons, he has averaged 30 points.
So the argument of "he hasn't played a game for US yet" is asinine. You really think that just because he puts on a leaf jersey he'll MAGICALLY turn into some other player?

29 year old players are given contracts based on what they've been, not on what we want them to be!!!!
Nonis ****ed up.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Agree with you 100%.

not sure if you're referring to Bozak, Clarkson, Gunnarsson, Kadri or Raymond

oops you mean all of them:laugh:

BTW the Sabres are currently looking for new fans in S. On., you should maybe think about applying.......lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad