Speculation: Brian Boyle

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He's waiting out the best offer.

He's too good to have a PTO, but isn't good enough at this point in his career to warrant a multi-year offer.

Probably just waiting for a team to sort of their RFA situation before they can offer him a 1 year deal.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No. He was actually pretty solid for NJ. Can't speak for Nash though.
I'd say he was totally fine for us in Nashville too, and a fair number of us would have been happy to see him back with us. We lack some size and leadership and before our payroll situation crystallized I would have been content to take him back on something like his previous contract... 2 years and $2.5M AAV seemed fair-ish for what he was bringing to us.

But with the Duchene signing it became evident that we probably couldn't find an easy way to squeeze Boyle in, and he was more "nice to have" than "must have" so there was no push to try to make room for him.

I thought those tweets from last month were sort of an indication that he had good enough offers and was just picking and choosing between them, and then not immediately signing made me think he had picked one where a team was asking him to hold off just a bit while they sorted out some other contracts and made the cap space or something like that. I guess that's what I'm still thinking... but it is getting suspiciously late in the game...
:dunno:

Last edited:

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I want him on the Isles.

I think he’s waiting for Macavoy and Point to sign and pick between bruins and Tampa

As much as the Lightning (and, especially, us fans) loved the guy, there's not really any spot for him here now. With the emergence of Cirelli as our 3C, we now have four solid Cs (Point, Stamkos, Cirelli and Paquette) with some young 'uns pushing for winger spots on the fourth line. I hope he finds a good place because he's an awesome guy.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
If I felt the Rangers could seriously contend in the next 2 seasons, I'd offer him a 2yr deal but I don't think they are there yet.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Still has plenty of hockey left in him. Maybe he is just weighing his options?

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Still has plenty of hockey left in him. Maybe he is just weighing his options?
Is this true? I haven’t really seen him play recently. Could he still be a serviceable 3rd line center? Can he keep up with the pace of the game?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Is this true? I haven’t really seen him play recently. Could he still be a serviceable 3rd line center? Can he keep up with the pace of the game?
He keeps up ok. I mean, 5on5 against fast players isn't going to be his forte. But he can also play wing effectively. 3rd line wing or anywhere on a 4th line, plus netfront on the PP, he is still effective.

Reactions: seafoam and spot

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Free 2nd round pick at the deadline for whoever signs him

Toronto paid 5 million for a 4th rounder so 1 year x 1-2mil is a nice frugal deal for any team

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He is still an above average 4c who can play a two way game and score some goals in a limited role.

Reactions: spot

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He keeps up ok. I mean, 5on5 against fast players isn't going to be his forte. But he can also play wing effectively. 3rd line wing or anywhere on a 4th line, plus netfront on the PP, he is still effective.

Never was his forte. But 18 goals in that role... Still among the better bottom-six/4Cs numbers.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Boyle makes up for his speed with his size. I also think the speed game is overrated. Need size and grit also.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe a cap strapped team is still trying to make room for him. He's still a useful player and I hope to see him in the NHL next season.

Not many teams have cap space. The ones with cap probably dont want him ...they are going for Alexis.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He'd be a good veteran add for a lot of teams in the NHL. I think he'll be somewhere on a roster before the season starts.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Hmmm...maybe the Islanders.
May as well complete the tour of NY-NJ Metro area teams.

Seriously though, would they have room to sign him for a depth bottom six role?
He could shuttle back n forth between the 3rd and 4th line, as a center or wing, depending on need.

Casey Cizikas or Matt Martin usually need some time off for some ailment or the other so he could fill in nicely or spell either of them for a bit if the coach wants to do some sort of rotation.
I like this idea.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I hope he finds a spot somewhere. Hard to believe a guy who put up 18 goals on (I presume) the 4th line can't find a home.

Gotta be the RFA situation. Teams are gun shy until they solve their in-house problems. At least, I hope that's the case.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
As much as the Lightning (and, especially, us fans) loved the guy, there's not really any spot for him here now. With the emergence of Cirelli as our 3C, we now have four solid Cs (Point, Stamkos, Cirelli and Paquette) with some young 'uns pushing for winger spots on the fourth line. I hope he finds a good place because he's an awesome guy.

Yeah I think the Maroon signing pretty much kills any chance Boyle might have had of returning to the Bolts. At this point we have only one open spot on our fourth line with Martel, Verhaeghe, Volkov, and Stephens all competing for it, and given the waiver eligibility status and relative depth of our forwards and defensemen at the NHL and AHL levels I suspect we’ll likely carry 13 forwards and eight defensemen. I wouldn’t hate having Boyle on the team but I just don’t see a place for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad