Speculation: Brian Boyle

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didn't he just score 18 goals?

He's always been slow. All that matters is he's effective. I almost wish TB didn't have a log-jam down the middle. I'd love to bring him back.

Yeah 18 goals. Not bad for someone who moves as slow as molasses.

Reactions: Diaz126025

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers should bring him back where he started his NHL career. It the Rangers didnt take that chance who knows what would have happened to Boyle. Kings gave up on him pretty quickly

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He was good with the Devils but similar to Simmonds after he was traded to Nashville he was not good. In the playoffs he had a nice hit in game one but it didn't really create any momentum and was overall way too slow to use against the Stars speediers lineup .

He can still be effective and do work on some teams but not ones that are build on speed which these days are a ton of teams.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He was good with the Devils but similar to Simmonds after he was traded to Nashville he was not good. In the playoffs he had a nice hit in game one but it didn't really create any momentum and was overall way too slow to use against the Stars speediers lineup .

He can still be effective and do work on some teams but not ones that are build on speed which these days are a ton of teams.
I didn't have any complaints about Boyle as a Predator. He's slow, but the key is not TOO slow, given he makes up for it in other ways. You don't need to have 13 speed demons in your forward group. Especially our team where we have a few undersized guys, and not a lot of veteran leadership, it's ok to mix things up and trade off some speed for size. We have some faster lines and some slower ones. I'd take Boyle back today in an instant. 2yrs, $2M AAV, he's worth that money.

I thought he played pretty well for us. Not flashy numbers, but our PP was just thoroughly dysfunctional. He could have had a few more points on a better team. He had appendicitis in the playoffs and wasn't expected to play at all for us... that he even got into 3 games was a bit of a "miraculous recovery"... probably a little too miraculous, he probably wasn't really ready to play. But otherwise he would have been expected to play every game.

Reactions: DFC

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty

He was very solid and the best acquisition we made last year to finish the season. I think his foot speed concern was severely over stated. I mean Boyle is what he is, but I will say that Simmonds was the guy that looked like the game had passed by with foot speed.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He was very solid and the best acquisition we made last year to finish the season. I think his foot speed concern was severely over stated. I mean Boyle is what he is, but I will say that Simmonds was the guy that looked like the game had passed by with foot speed.

He was never fast in TB. The best thing you can say about his skating is it's... awkward.

But that said, it never hurt us. So who cares? Is his lack of speed hurting teams now? That's the only way this should be a factor. I don't see why anybody cares if you're slow so long as you're more effective than the speedy guys. That was the case for Boyle in TB. Not sure if it remains the case today.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
He was never fast in TB. The best thing you can say about his skating is it's... awkward.

But that said, it never hurt us. So who cares? Is his lack of speed hurting teams now? That's the only way this should be a factor. I don't see why anybody cares if you're slow so long as you're more effective than the speedy guys. That was the case for Boyle in TB. Not sure if it remains the case today.

I think that's pretty much what we saw. He is efficient with how he reads plays and more often than not is in the right spot. I mean the guy isn't fast, but you don't play in the NHL with his foot speed for this long without being anticipatory and smart about the game. He was still fine for us last year and I would be happy to have him back to center our 4th line.

Reactions: NNCbama

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think that's pretty much what we saw. He is efficient with how he reads plays and more often than not is in the right spot. I mean the guy isn't fast, but you don't play in the NHL with his foot speed for this long without being anticipatory and smart about the game. He was still fine for us last year and I would be happy to have him back to center our 4th line.
I probably wouldn't use him as a center given our over-abundance at the position, but otherwise totally agreed. The bottom line is he is effective. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Didn't he just score 18 goals?

He's always been slow. All that matters is he's effective. I almost wish TB didn't have a log-jam down the middle. I'd love to bring him back.
Would like him back in Toronto myself. He wasnt here long but he always seemed like a responsible 4th liner who's okay at everything and doesn't get burned often. Hes reliable.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Pittsburgh will need to take a long look at signing Boyle. Malkin is out for a month - how long for Bjugstad?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Did Brian Boyle get abducted by aliens or something? Shocked he hasn’t signed with a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad