Speculation: Brian Boyle

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
He was traded for a 2nd a couple months ago so you would think there is a market for him. My guess is he is looking for term and teams want a one year deal.

Reactions: TML Dynasty and BHD

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Hmmm...maybe the Islanders.
May as well complete the tour of NY-NJ Metro area teams.

Seriously though, would they have room to sign him for a depth bottom six role?
He could shuttle back n forth between the 3rd and 4th line, as a center or wing, depending on need.

Casey Cizikas or Matt Martin usually need some time off for some ailment or the other so he could fill in nicely or spell either of them for a bit if the coach wants to do some sort of rotation.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How is there not more interest in a guy who can still score 18 goals in the bottom six? Was he otherwise terrible in NJ and Nashville?

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Brian Boyle is still a perfectly viable bottom six C/W.

If he is still without a contract, then it likely isn't because he "can't play" anymore, but as some have speculated, likely because of dollars and term.
Looking at things in a vacuum, he'd be the perfect player on one or two year deals moving forward, but perhaps Boyle sees himself as a guy worthy of more than one or two year deals.
At 34 though, he may be hard pressed to find a team willing to go more than that.
Add in the stability factor for his family and him being a bit picky, and one can see why maybe he hasn't landed on a roster yet.

From a pure playing standpoint, the guy can still check, chip in points, be a leader amongst young teammates, take face offs.... if there IS one knock to his game is that he isn't a particularly good skater...kinda lumbering in fact. He always was kinda that, it is just magnified as he has gotten older.

He isn't a terrible skater, but he definitely would need to be kept away from the opposition's burners....he looks glacial by comparison, although matched up against the other team's 3rd or 4th line grinder types and on the PK, he should be fine.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him back in TB, but I think the Lightning have their hands full trying to sign guys they already have as it is... Point being number one this year, followed possibly by Adam Erne, but coming up next year will be contracts for Erik Cernak, Anthony Cirelli, Mathieu Joseph, and especially, Mikhail Sergachev.
Sadly, I just don't see room in TB for him.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
he probably weighed the options in early july and nothing appealed to him right off the bat location/money wise . I think we can all agree that he'll find work and he's not quite at that ''camp invite'' stage yet .

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He’s a 4th line C at 1 million now ....I’m sure he’s getting a nhl deal and may even get more money .... so many teams need to sign their RFAs still

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Probably wants a few years of term. Looking for job security as he’s got a young family

At this stage of his career, while anything is possible, a multi year deal is probably not in the cards, and if I were his agent, I'd advise him to keep his bags packed as he is a likely trade candidate every February.

Not a knock, actually I look at that as a compliment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad