Confirmed with Link: Brian Boyle signs 1 year 940k contract

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Welcome aboard. It's going to be a bumpy ride
My "home" team (not my fav. which is wherever Boyle plays) got laughed out of the playoffs last year; THAT was bumpy:mad:

Being a CATS fan? UPGRADE!

Thought I had a contract lined up for one of the big "ship lines" in Doral... was already looking into Panther's tix; role didn't come through; this makes me a Panthers fan anyway :nod:

LETS GO CATS!

Reactions: Vilam

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
It worries me that they pull it off just 1 day after Barky's injury.
We haven't heard anything about his injury yet, so could it be that Q and Tallon don't want to trust a young guy like Borg to get more playing time so they pick up a experienced vet, assuming Barky might be gone longer?

In any case, great pickup!

Reactions: PJ817

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I’d say when he gets up to speed

HBD
Con tro hoff
Malgin acciari frank
Scev Boyle hunt.

Boyle can pk and be netfront on pp. is instantly our best net front guy. Keep his 5v5 mins low tho

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Was waiting for something like this, or possibly a McQuaid signing. I'm good with it. From what I've seen, we're going to have problems with "big" lines(fourth line bangers) all year long, big lines that can control possession, until we have a couple of "someones" to counter it. Until you move a Pysyk, or Sceviour, the Boyle move was probably the most prudent move to make, given the economic circumstances.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Keep his 5v5 mins low tho
Think his TOI last year between Devs and Preds avg'd about 12 mins or less

Keep his TOI to 11 - 12 and give him time to get up to speed with line mates (Strals will help him - they've been teammates off/on for years)... love Strals too

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Wow didn't know Boyle was available/still wanted to play. If he's in shape he should be a great add (especially at that price), finally someone to park in front of the crease. Wasn't he pretty good at shootouts too??? I remember always being surprised teams using him over star players and him usually scoring.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
@PJ817 #TeamBoyle - Yay! Welcome, I'm #TeamStrålman and have been warmly welcomed here too. :DD Adored Boyle when he played for the Lightning and was thrilled to see him find a new home here today!

@ThePatientPanther - Aww, thanks for the kind words. I'm usually a lady, unless my teams are playing the Bruins. Or the Red Wings. :naughty:

PJ817 said:
Keep his TOI to 11 - 12 and give him time to get up to speed with line mates (Strals will help him - they've been teammates off/on for years)... love Strals too

FRIEND!! :heart: :laugh:

Yeah, Boyle is a real heart and soul player. Will give everything he has, every shift. Stråls has a similar work ethic but is always calm and poised, a cerebral Mr. Cool type. Boyler is more emotional, Don't-You-Dare-Touch-My-Teammates, a Mr. Heart On His Sleeve type. Park Boyle Mountain in front of the net and watch the fun happen. :DD

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
@PJ817 #TeamBoyle - Yay! Welcome, FRIEND!! :heart: :laugh: :DD
When he got traded, you know I told JBB in a private meeting to fly a kite, preferably in a thunderstorm :naughty: and completed selling the rest of that season's row 5, blue line tix.

Last year, I happened to be working in midtown NYC... which is a subway stop, NJTransit train to Newark and Pru. Section 18, row 5...

One night it was "Win a picture with Boyle and the Masterton" night... I didn't win :(

Underneath Sect 18 is the great food area and the bar; "someone" with some sort of clout told me to wait at the bar... I watched about 25+ people line up to meet/greet and take pics with Boyler. I smiled, happy for them! Truly happy for them!

Someone else with someone sort of major clout saw me; asked why I wasn't in line... FFWD

I have about 20 pictures with him, chirped at him about needing another jersey... (and here I am, jersey #4). We talked for a bit (yes - like old friends) and when I left, I asked if I could send the pics to Gabby.

"Sure" he said... "WAIT! Gabby who?":naughty:

"Uh, your sister?" I replied :laugh:

He blushed. "What do you call her?"

"Gabs, Gabby... what do you call her?"

And so ensued... on the train back to midtown I was spamming my son... "Did you cry?"

"Nope! But a I am now!"

I will support this guy, his fam, friends, teammates, other fans :DD, new teammates through the bowels of hell ... love this guy, adore his wife, and love his sister

#TeamBoyle #GoCatsGo

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I think an underrated thing here not being mentioned is his leadership ability. No doubt he is respected throughout the league. To beat cancer and come back and play in the NHL is remarkable.
Just from my experience and having my bone marrow stem cell transplant done this past winter, I know people think it's just remarkable to overcome taking chemo and getting better.
I remember saying last year when I watched these guys in hospital, going through chemo, taking needles upon needles, that they just needed someone to go in the room and say something straight from the heart, not about hockey. Now they have that person on the team.

I imagine he will play 3C, along with Malgin. I would think he sits nights that are faster opponents and Hawk is in on the wing, and when it's a bigger opponent maybe Malgin sits, although he isn't playing like he deserves a healthy scratch anytime soon. As well,
Hawk hasn't showed he should be getting regular playing time.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
A big reason for signing Boyle is we’ve struggled in the faceoff circle. It’s early but only one center is over 50%, Barkov.

Malgin struggling big time, 32(!), Accari and Trocheck in low 40’s.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I wanted us to sign him all offseason. Stoked!

A bit worried about Borg though. Second chance he's been given to show us what he's got and hasn't impressed. Disappointing given his potential and hype. He's shown flashes, I like that he's bigger. Maybe he just needs to learn how to work with his bigger build.

Really hope barkov is ok. Kind of worried he's going to get just good enough to play, and then get hurt again. Don't think he's been right all season.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I will support this guy, his fam, friends, teammates, other fans :DD, new teammates through the bowels of hell ... love this guy, adore his wife, and love his sister

#TeamBoyle #GoCatsGo

That is so awesome! I only got to meet him a couple of times in either an autograph line or at Fan Fest/Carnival and he was always terrific. But I do love this pic of him when we welcomed back the boys back from the 2015 SCF loss. ;)

Boyle2015.jpg

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Love this signing!

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Hoffman-Trocheck-Connolly
Malgin-Acciari-Vatrano
Hunt-Boyle-Sceviour

Great lineup. If they can’t make the playoffs with this just shut down the team.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
A big reason for signing Boyle is we’ve struggled in the faceoff circle. It’s early but only one center is over 50%, Barkov.

Malgin struggling big time, 32(!), Accari and Trocheck in low 40’s.

Even tho I have nothing against this signing, Boyle probably ends up as the 13th forward and thus used sparingly. So it'll take a bit more than a decent FO% in order to get himself into the lineup.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Even tho I have nothing against this signing, Boyle probably ends up as the 13th forward and thus used sparingly. So it'll take a bit more than a decent FO% in order to get himself into the lineup.
I think it will depend on how good he is. Borg sent down, Q not using Jayce, and Pysyk is playing forward. Even though I think Pysyk has been good as a forward, gotta think Boyle will get plenty of ice time if he doesn’t suck. Malgin is playing well but struggling big time in the circle. Boyle with Malgin and Vatrano might be a line.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

I can see this being the case especially in the beginning.

Acciari should take the 3rd line center spot, he's earned it.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
To me, putting him higher than 4th line puts undue expectations on him. His natural fit is the 4th line and PK surrendering body/soul for the sake of goalie protection
I guess time will tell. I don’t think undue expectations are the issue, more can he keep up and how long will it take for the rust to shake off

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Boyle is the ideal 4th-line center guy. Happy to take 10-12 minutes a game, can do some PK duties, provides a big body and will do whatever it takes to win.

Acciari has proven he's more than capable of taking on the 3rd line role and more minutes. The guy has earned it and then some...what an awesome signing.

Ideally, we would have Acciari and Boyle as the main PK guys to give the top guys some rest. We finally don't have to see Barkov as our main penalty killer. Hated seeing that time and time again in the past years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad