Confirmed with Link: Brian Boyle signs 1 year 940k contract

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
i think so. listen to Qs presser.

he says, in pretty straightforward terms, that boyle's here because the players are not getting the message.

NOTEBOOK: Boyle Gets Back to Work; Barkov Feeling Better

while i like the move for all the reasons Q mentions, it should be mentioned that he's been brought in to similar roles on similar teams and hasn't gotten them over the hump. we have to be realistic.

if nothing else though, we need some help in the circle - we're getting murdered there crunch time every night it seems.

I didn't see that anywhere.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I didn't see that anywhere.

Me neither.

listen to coach at end of the 10/21 practice video i posted, around 1:30. pretty clear to me.

now, he doesn't disparage the team but chooses to point out that boyle can lead by example in all the areas where the panthers have been so weak.

the team's been marginally better defensively but the guys who need to lead this team are still lacking the consistent work ethic, attention to details and continue to make poor decisions too often.

watch a good team and it's night and day.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
he's been brought in to similar roles on similar teams and hasn't gotten them over the hump. we have to be realistic.
Let's see:

Rangers - SCF; Bolts SCF, ECF

Leafs team unsure of playoffs in 2017 (they were trailing and/or tied with Bolts for WC) - trade with Bolts for Brian, they made it to playoffs (that trade is why I told JBB to fly a kite preferably in a thunderstorm... still hate the guy)

A Devils team, unsure of anything, they make the playoffs; he gets traded to Predators who make the playoffs...

Boyle plays with brewing appendicitis. Have you had this particular little nasty?

Take a sharp knife, stab it in really hard right above your right hip bone at a 45 degree angle... then go play hockey for a couple of hours.:oops:

I believe his appendix burst. IF SO, then it wasn't a simple appendectomy (two small incisions with gas to blow up insides for doc to see), it was a 6" incision, muscles pulled apart...

4 days later, he was on the ice

4 days after MY appy ruptured/surgery?? I was starting fluids, 2 weeks after that, I started to walk more than 10' (don't ask about 3 weeks after because then I was on some guy's head in Central Park wearing a chicken hat at the Garth Brooks NYC Central Park concert, 75' from the stage...oops, that's another story for a different page :rolleyes:)

Anyway, no one player will get any team into and thru the playoffs. This is a team sport but will he help where teams are soft and weak?

Hellztothe yah! I'm not a fan because he's good looking or his wife is a saint (most players are good looking and most of their wives are saints)... I'm a fan of his because of all the little intangibles he brings and frankly, I like the grinders, the sand paper guys - the ones who make the plays to let the BIG NAMES shine.

That's Boyler.

#TeamBoyle

Reactions: JP Mick

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Let's see:

Rangers - SCF; Bolts SCF, ECF

Leafs team unsure of playoffs in 2017 (they were trailing and/or tied with Bolts for WC) - trade with Bolts for Brian, they made it to playoffs (that trade is why I told JBB to fly a kite preferably in a thunderstorm... still hate the guy)

A Devils team, unsure of anything, they make the playoffs; he gets traded to Predators who make the playoffs...

i was thinking specifically of the leafs, who are in a similar type of a bind now - some offensive firepower but immature and unwilling to play a full 60 minutes of real, team hockey.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
listen to coach at end of the 10/21 practice video i posted, around 1:30. pretty clear to me.

now, he doesn't disparage the team but chooses to point out that boyle can lead by example in all the areas where the panthers have been so weak.

the team's been marginally better defensively but the guys who need to lead this team are still lacking the consistent work ethic, attention to details and continue to make poor decisions too often.

watch a good team and it's night and day.

Ehh, I don't hear him saying anything about the team just what type of things Boyle brings.

And it's too early to call what this team is. Most likely it won't be the same as it is now vs. at the end of the season.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Ehh, I don't hear him saying anything about the team just what type of things Boyle brings.

And it's too early to call what this team is. Most likely it won't be the same as it is now vs. at the end of the season.

of course. he's not going to disparage the team. he's gotta build them up.

but listen back to some of his comments post-game. the aspects of the team game he consistently mentions need improvement happen to match up with the stuff he mentions about boyle.

it's not that hard to read between the lines.

he's using ice time as a lever too, giving bottom six (even pysyk!) guys more minutes when up or tied and in crunch time. he's talked about that and i referenced it last week.

it's subtle but these, in my estimation, are the signs of a coach trying to establish accountability.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
of course. he's not going to disparage the team. he's gotta build them up.

but listen back to some of his comments post-game. the aspects of the team game he consistently mentions need improvement happen to match up with the stuff he mentions about boyle.

it's not that hard to read between the lines.

he's using ice time as a lever too, giving bottom six (even pysyk!) guys more minutes when up or tied and in crunch time. he's talked about that and i referenced it last week.

it's subtle but these, in my estimation, are the signs of a coach trying to establish accountability.

I'm sure he's all about accountability and consistency but I don't think the team is drastically lacking in those things. It's not a "night and day" difference compared to other teams.

Q has a higher standard though. Boyle should help on that front.

Reactions: harv33173 and PJ817

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I'm sure he's all about accountability and consistency but I don't think the team is drastically lacking in those things. It's not a "night and day" difference compared to other teams.

Q has a higher standard though. Boyle should help on that front.

for sure on the latter.

regarding the former, i may be alone or in the minority in my opinion but this team is lacking quite a bit. we are in danger of becoming the next toronto - a highly skilled team that's just unable to put it together and play winning hockey.

toronto is worse off - those players seem to have tuned out babcock, which is a pretty impressive accomplishment.

i see some improvement this year but not nearly enough. and i think Q and tallon feel the same way and my guess is that's why they pulled the trigger now on boyle. boyle's comments indicate they've been talking for a while but were probably hoping the team got off to a better start. we're closing in on 10 games and the team isn't managing the puck any better, really hasn't put together anywhere near a solid 60 minute effort. it's just not good enough.

this smells a bit of desperation, to me. but he's a quality guy. nothing to lose but the $.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
i was thinking specifically of the leafs, who are in a similar type of a bind now - some offensive firepower but immature and unwilling to play a full 60 minutes of real, team hockey.
He played on the Leafs for a 6 weeks, at the end of the 2016 - 17 season. Almost 3 years ago. He was traded to the Leafs because, and only because, of an issue with Cooper's pet, Sustr (now playing for some Chinese team)

In those 6 weeks, they went from meh, maybe we make it to playoffs to playing Boston (I think)

I get your point about not holding your breath that Boyle is the answer to getting to the playoffs but I DO THINK and have thought, the Panthers were getting to playoffs before ever signing him. Q, Bob, Hoff, Ek, Huber - that's the start of a great team, Boyle just shores up a few soft spots.

Also, I think last year was his first season since getting dx'd with CML that he was healthy. It almost seems as though his last year with Bolts it was brewing - I often wondered why he'd slowed down; then he was dx'd, battled that year with regiment/medications/eating/sleeping; last year first full year with clear dx. With that in mind, did he play more tentatively last year (2nd best year in career, btw)? Did he fight less because of concerns about CML coming back (it's a lifetime disease, not a cured... he will be on some sort of regiment for the rest of his life)?

I, for one and many others, am so excited to find out! Thank you for letting me hang out with you

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Not gonna lie. His first 2 games I was like eh whatever he’s serviceable. But man I have loved him lately. Parking that big beautiful ass in for the of goalies and he’s got some real soft hands for a big man. Great pickup. Definitely doesn’t hurt he’s an amazing human being either.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Not gonna lie. His first 2 games I was like eh whatever he’s serviceable. But man I have loved him lately. Parking that big beautiful ass in for the of goalies and he’s got some real soft hands for a big man. Great pickup. Definitely doesn’t hurt he’s an amazing human being either.
If he could take Barkov duties in front of the net on PP with Barky actually delivering passes I’d like to see them try that too.

Reactions: Mase and pantherbot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad