Prospect Info: Brett Murray (2016, 99th) – '18-19: Youngstown #21 (USHL), '19-20: Miami (NCAA)

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
He was in for last night's loss to OSU. Some rough moments, but the plan is to ease him in to get him acclimated to the system/style, which is up-tempo. You can see that he's clearly more than just a big body, but it'll be next year when we're likely to see him full time unless other needs dictate.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
He's massive. Not sure if he'll ever amount to much, but he does move well for a big man.
Yet Murray's still not the biggest out there, with a 6'7" forward teammate in Pavlychev, who is also left-handed and wearing #13 just to make sure you pay close enough attention to distinguish him from Murray's #18. :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm having flashbacks to Peter Puck and my earliest hockey memories with those third jerseys tonight. Grey on black... like the old black and white TV days. :biglaugh:

I've noticed Pavlychev more than Murray, though digging around to save content had me a little distracted. :biglaugh:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Lindgren took a run at Murray at the blue line after a dump-in. I thought he definitely jumped into it, left his feet, and looked to make contact with the head, enough that the homer announcers even noted it, but still didn't fall Murray either. He went to the bench, probably for a normal change, and was out the next shift.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's been good on the PK here in the third. Nice break after the hit, just worked a solid cycle and forecheck.

Reactions: jBuds

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
On Thursday, Murray had 4 SOG and a secondary assist in PSU's 7-5 win over AIC. He won the board battle to Limoges on the 7-3 goal. On Friday, Murray was -1 with 2 SOG in PSU's 3-2 OTL to AIC.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Has anyone seen why Murray is not in the Lions lineup? He's been out for the majority of the last 6 weeks looking at his game-by-game stats and it's not like PSU is exactly rolling -- winless in 7 and down to the Spartans 3-1 tonight.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Gadowsky probably wants Murray involved physically, otherwise it's in-and-out as an extra skater or scratch. He's not injured as far as I recall.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nice slot play and wall overmatch to help out with Penn State's first goal. Haven't heard if he gets an assist or not.

Edit: Nope, no assist.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Murray's had two SH chances in the third period. One attempted five-hole coming off the left wall, saved; shot high short-side on this last partial 2v1.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Up to Mittelstadt's second goal (and looking in to see if Weissbach is doing damage in the Badger game), seeing Murray's performance at center tonight has been the highlight of my hockey week.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Hmm. Well he looked good when I saw him play for Youngstown against the NTDP U18 a couple of years ago, but doesn't sound like much has happened since.

My one curiosity, other than wondering if this kid will ever develop into something, is what does this mean for his rights? We drafted him before he played a minute for Penn State, and now he's going to the OHL. How long do we have now to make a decision on this kid? @dotcommunism

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad