Prospect Info: Brett Murray (2016, 99th) – '18-19: Youngstown #21 (USHL), '19-20: Miami (NCAA)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hmm. Well he looked good when I saw him play for Youngstown against the NTDP U18 a couple of years ago, but doesn't sound like much has happened since.

My one curiosity, other than wondering if this kid will ever develop into something, is what does this mean for his rights? We drafted him before he played a minute for Penn State, and now he's going to the OHL. How long do we have now to make a decision on this kid? @dotcommunism

They own his rights for the same amount of time as they would have had he stayed at PSU.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Hmm. Well he looked good when I saw him play for Youngstown against the NTDP U18 a couple of years ago, but doesn't sound like much has happened since.

My one curiosity, other than wondering if this kid will ever develop into something, is what does this mean for his rights? We drafted him before he played a minute for Penn State, and now he's going to the OHL. How long do we have now to make a decision on this kid? @dotcommunism
His rights are held through June 1, 2020

Reactions: Dingo44

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I don't even remember drafting this guy. Does it say who has playing for in the OHL? It at least gives me another Sabres prospect to watch develop more closely and in person.

I'm looking forward to seeing UPL play when he comes to face the Ice Dogs.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't even remember drafting this guy. Does it say who has playing for in the OHL? It at least gives me another Sabres prospect to watch develop more closely and in person.

I'm looking forward to seeing UPL play when he comes to face the Ice Dogs.

Rather than transferring to another university, Murray plans to return to junior hockey. The 6-foot-5 forward last played in the USHL with the Youngstown Phantoms back in 2016, and it’s believed that the Oshawa Generals hold his OHL rights.

Reactions: LaxSabre

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
What are your thoughts on Brett Murray? He left Penn State after a disappointing year and a half, but is now tearing it up with the Youngstown Phantoms of the USHL. In 34 games he has 20 goals and 24 assists. The kid is 6'5" and weighs 222lbs. Should the Sabres sign him and assign him to the Amerks? He's tied for 2nd in the USHL in points.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
What are your thoughts on Brett Murray? He left Penn State after a disappointing year and a half, but is now tearing it up with the Youngstown Phantoms of the USHL. In 34 games he has 20 goals and 24 assists. The kid is 6'5" and weighs 222lbs. Should the Sabres sign him and assign him to the Amerks? He's tied for 2nd in the USHL in points.
A 20 year old being near the top of the USHL in points is not a reason to want to see him in the AHL any time soon. Anyway, it appears that he's going to Miami University next year. Let him show he can play well in college before we even think about entertaining the idea of him as a pro.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
A 20 year old being near the top of the USHL in points is not a reason to want to see him in the AHL any time soon. Anyway, it appears that he's going to Miami University next year. Let him show he can play well in college before we even think about entertaining the idea of him as a pro.

Maybe they sign him to a two-way ECHL/AHL deal ala Glotov.

:dunno:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If makes it to pro-hockey it will be as a free agent. Even if he blows the doors off next year why would he bother signing?

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I don't see him ending up as a Rochester American on a PTO or signing a contract. He's in the mix of guys that I don't think Botterill see's fitting this team long term. While we could use a Marcus Foligno type player right now, he doesn't really ring in much hope for future promise.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
According to Bakes, he might be a late bloomer. Made significant strides in his foot speed and awareness this past offseason.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Maybe they sign him to a two-way ECHL/AHL deal ala Glotov.

:dunno:
He has two years of NCAA eligibility remaining, let's see what he does with that first. At this point in time, he hasn't really done anything to merit such consideration (and furthermore, there's no real rush to worry about it now, he has two years of NCAA eligibility remaining).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He has two years of NCAA eligibility remaining, let's see what he does with that first. At this point in time, he hasn't really done anything to merit such consideration (and furthermore, there's no real rush to worry about it now, he has two years of NCAA eligibility remaining).

When is he a UFA?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I still prefer the single word, Notmete, pronounced similar to Namaste.

Fwiw, Bakes on twitter told me that his game has made great strides, in particular he seems to have made a sharp improvement in his foot speed, so I am cautiously optimistic that he gets a contract and is not totally useless in Rochester.

Reactions: Chainshot

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He wanted to switch programs from PSU to Miami. Had to sit out a year of college in order to do that.
Thanks! Had not heard that but it makes sense. Nice to see him tearing up the league...but at 20yo in the USHL I guess that's exactly what he should be doing. Kid is 6'5" man...wow. If he shakes out as a bottom sixer that would be sick.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Murray with a goal in a 2-game loss to Dubuque in the USHL playoffs. Next stop is Miami of Ohio. I'm quietly optimistic by how he did this year. I'm eager to see if his confidence and finish translate when he resumes his NCAA career. If his skating has taken a step... project. But an interesting one.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Miami fired the coach that recruited Murray to Miami after the conclusion of their season.

That is likely a big reason for it.

Get out of my mind! :biglaugh:

I was just about to post that it is likely Blasi being dismissed and Bergeron taking over that had this happen.

It'll be interesting to see where he winds up, if anywhere. Hopefully a program gives him an opportunity and the next two years allow him to round out his game to become a pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->