Player Discussion Brett Kulak: Top pairing candidate #6

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Why did players like Kulak suck so bad 4 months ago and now look very solid? This team traded some players at the deadline so they should be less equipped to compete but they look like a decent team now. What changed? They got healthy...is that it?

They were bad and I mean BAD.

There was some pretty substantial injuries. We just don't have the horses to weather that storm. Especially KK regressing hurt.

The Pens being pretty awful as helped imo. I think we've been playing well all in all but the Pens just have not looked all that great.

We'll see how the next round goes but my expectations aren't that high. But if KK and Suzuki can keep it up and Drouin can get going along with Domi, we're not as woefully under skilled as people make us out to be.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Kulak played well when he first came here. Then regressed. Now, back playing better than his first season here.

He did regress, but I always felt it wasn't so terrible, like Mike Reilly. He always had potential and at his very worst he played poorly, but not atrocious. So I'm happy to see he's doing good now. He obviously is meant to play with Petry, they just complement each other quite well.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why did players like Kulak suck so bad 4 months ago and now look very solid? This team traded some players at the deadline so they should be less equipped to compete but they look like a decent team now. What changed? They got healthy...is that it?

They were bad and I mean BAD.

Probably one of two factors or both:

We're a young team that should get better with time. The break was like a mini off season and young players tend to get better from one season to the next. Kk in particular looks like a whole different physical specimen.

Second, teams are off. Some teams start off a new season hot, then fizzle. Just because we start off this basically new season 2-1 against the Pens, doesn't mean we could eve make the playoffs over the grind of the n 82 game season.

Reactions: abo9 and Tyson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Will be interesting to see how Kulak handles the Flyers' formidable, relentless, heavy forecheck.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Kulak-PressConference(20/08/09)

“We kind of did find a little bit of an identity there. We've always had the identity of we want to be a team that plays fast and use our speed, and I thought we did that well in the last couple of games. I thought we just out-worked them and we did a good job on winning out battles and moving the puck.”

“I'm pretty happy that my body was able to respond pretty good. I don't feel 100% but everyone is too. Go throught it and not able to do too much for about 10 days and get back into it. I missed days in camp. When you come in you don't expect much of yourself, just trying to get physically ready and just going there to play hockey. Just kinda let your natural instincts take over. Just excited to play the game and every games mean so much. It's fun to be out there. That energy takes over.”

“Couturier is a smart player, he knows where to be when he doesn't have the puck on his stick. He makes things happen when he has the puck. He kinda create things for them. When he has time and spaces in the Ozone, he can find the open net and create scoring chances. So for us it's just playing in his face, playing hard and not giving him any time and spaces to let him do what he wants.”

“We played well against Philadelphia. When you got Price, he's been playing at the top of his game, he gives you the chance to win. We felt pretty good throught out the last series. In Game 1, they gonna come hard.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Kulak-PressConference(20/08/17)
“Our first job as a defenceman is to protect our net and to keep out the puck off the net. We're pretty happy with what we've been doing so far.”
“Philadelphia has a pretty deep roster, they make good plays and they're creative in offense.”
“All the credits goes to Price. He makes those big saves time and time again. He keeps us in the game and he keeps our energy up.”

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not so sure about that. Based on past experiences, his standard of play suffers significantly when he's not paired with someone who can carry a pairing.

This is true but we are not the only team with that type. Kulak to me has consistency issues. I would like to see a full season sample size

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kulak is looking better than expected and seems to have found his role.

Similar play that he showed down the stretch for the 18/19 season IMO. He needs to figure out how to stay consistent. Hockey IQ in your own end (especially play without the puck) is an issue a lot of guys don't figure out.

On trade discussions on the main boards... You bring up Mete and most say they rather Kulak. Others are noticing his play for sure.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kulak is looking better than expected and seems to have found his role.

Would be huge if he and Chiarot could settle in next to Weber and Petry for a few years. Wou km d give time for our young guys in the system to develop fully before coming into the NHL more seasoned at 22, 23, instead of 19 like Mete had to.

Reactions: angusyoung

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
he is a very good skater for his size, and a perfect 5-6 dmen. if he becomes that, we have a solid defence

Reactions: angusyoung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad