Player Discussion Brett Kulak: Top pairing candidate #6

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
A couple of those are debatable to me but anyway, that still puts Montreal in the bottom 10.

But I'll definitely argue that they aren't costing Montreal games. Especially in the last few games where Kulak was weaker than he was normally and Mete was losing puck battles on the boards and in front of the net.

I gave you ten teams. I could also argue other teams too, but these were the easiest cases to make.

And I could single out literally any player on the roster for mistakes made in lost games. That's not what costing games means.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
I gave you ten teams. I could also argue other teams too, but these were the easiest cases to make.

And I could single out literally any player on the roster for mistakes made in lost games. That's not what costing games means.
Well I can argue that just having Chabot, Dumoulin, Morrissey and Keith makes those teams better but let's just agree to disagree there.

When a teams "1st pairing" left handed defensemen consistently loses puck battles and hasn't scored a goal in 2 seasons, I think its fair to say he's not up to the task. When a team's "2nd pairing" left handed defenseman was worth nothing to his former team, was mostly an AHL player, has a good stretch of 30 games then comes back down to Earth, i tank it's fair to say hes not quite a top 4 D-man yet.

Reactions: Vachon23

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Well I can argue that just having Chabot, Dumoulin, Morrissey and Keith makes those teams better but let's just agree to disagree there.

You asked for top-4 LHD, not top pair LHD. Those guys are better than Kulak and Mete, but the second pair guys are much worse.

When a teams "1st pairing" left handed defensemen consistently loses puck battles and hasn't scored a goal in 2 seasons, I think its fair to say he's not up to the task. When a team's "2nd pairing" left handed defenseman was worth nothing to his former team, was mostly an AHL player, has a good stretch of 30 games then comes back down to Earth, i tank it's fair to say hes not quite a top 4 D-man yet.

Kulak-Petry was Montreal's most used pair at even strength, not Mete-Weber.

Mete is also one of the better puck movers on D. He's excellent at shutting down shooting lanes and forcing players to play without a lot of room or options. Every player has strengths and weaknesses. He also actually grades really well in puck battles, you're thinking about board battles where he struggles a bit. You have to look at the big picture, not just the things players don't do. You're also seem to assume one of the youngest D in the NHL wont improve, which is crazy.

And lets not pretend good players don't get valued by other teams. You don't even need to look far to see that (Byron). As for D, what about Kempny? Gustafsson come outta nowhere. Same with Schmidt. Collin Miller was a throw in to a trade and then exposed. How about Schultz?

Reactions: sergejean

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

The Flames had a glut of top defencemen, Kulak merely needs more experience at the NHL level to meet expectations that Bràd Treliving had for him, just my opinion though.

Reactions: scrubadam

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

He isn't there yet but he has the potential to be.

Kulak still hasn't even played 200 NHL games. It usually takes NHL D 300 games to find there place in the NHL. I think he can make big strides next season.

Reactions: sergejean

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
You asked for top-4 LHD, not top pair LHD. Those guys are better than Kulak and Mete, but the second pair guys are much worse.

Kulak-Petry was Montreal's most used pair at even strength, not Mete-Weber.

Mete is also one of the better puck movers on D. He's excellent at shutting down shooting lanes and forcing players to play without a lot of room or options. Every player has strengths and weaknesses. He also actually grades really well in puck battles, you're thinking about board battles where he struggles a bit. You have to look at the big picture, not just the things players don't do. You're also seem to assume one of the youngest D in the NHL wont improve, which is crazy.

And lets not pretend good players don't get valued by other teams. You don't even need to look far to see that (Byron). As for D, what about Kempny? Gustafsson come outta nowhere. Same with Schmidt. Collin Miller was a throw in to a trade and then exposed. How about Schultz?
Depends how you look at it. Theres a bigger difference between Dumoulin and Mete than there is between Kulak and let's say Pettersson. So I'd rather take the pair with an actual top pair defenseman.

Yes, Mete is good at skating the puck up ice and shutting down shooting lanes. But unless he vastly improves his shot and passing in the offensive zone, he won't be a top pair guy IMO. He needs to start producing more offensively to make up for the fact that he's weak on the boards and in front of his net.

As for Kulak, his track record shows me that he needs to play well for more than 30 games before I believe he's a true 2nd pair guy. You showed a few examples of late bloomers that teams undervalues but there's a lot more players that didnt develop randomly after 25.

But sure, if Mete either completely develops his offence or becomes stronger in board battles and net front battles while Kulak keeps up his play to level of those good 30 games, then were fine as is.

Reactions: Vachon23

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Really appreciate the discussion. It changes from the constant name calling and players/GM bashing.

I think Kulak greatly improved as the season went on. Yes he made some costly mistakes. I recall him getting caught pinching I believe when the game was tied (against Carolina if I remember right). But he also showed some poise and good mobility. A decent offensive flair and the ability to make a good first pass out of the zone. Is he a sure shot second pairing D? No, he isn't. Ideally he would play on the third but he has the ability to help out on a second pairing for some stretch. It's also fair to believe he could still improve. Dismissing him solely because he was traded for two career minor leaguers is not an argument. Players have to be judged for what they are today, not for what they were projected to be originally.

As for Mete, I really like his game since he went down to Laval and came back. He creates chances and his overall defensive play is above average. Of course, board battles will never be his strenght and he'll struggle clearing the front of the net. He will however excel in retrieving pucks with his speed, cuting out plays in the neutral zone before they develop and pushing the pace forward with strong transition play. Offensively, I believe that once he scores his first goal, then he will start to score/produce more regularly.

Reactions: 417 and Archijerej

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I agree Mete will produce, eventually. His skating is a force in transition and he has a good understanding of the game. He's a decent passer as well. His shot will always limit him, but I think a consistent production of about 5 goals (mainly from back-door plays) and 25 points is not out of the question.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Kulak is a bottom pair D, nothing wrong with that. The Habs need an upgrade in the top 4 at LD

How about the top 2? Would you like to live through another season of musical chairs at first pairing LD cause they failed to land a top 2 LD but settled for a "top 4"?

Cause that's exactly what is going to happen. A top 4 is not a top 2. They need a bona fide top pairing QB. Pay what it takes cause the UFA market is sure not going to provide one, nor is the draft going to give them a ready to play in the NHL D, especially not drafting 15th.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I was so comfortable signing for three years...Because the success we had over the year. In terms of the style of game our team prides itself on. Speed. Puck movement. Quick attack. Is something that plays right into my strength and my game...”

“We played a good season. It was unfortunate to come up short like we did. But I think over the next three years we’ve a team with potential. To go on deep runs. Year after year... Then we also have our young guys coming in. Guys like Ryan Poehling. Who showed he could be an impact player soon. That just gets you more as a player...”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I can be a 1-2 guy on the top pairing... Playing against top lines every night and killing penalties... I think of myself as a totally well-rounded defenceman... Who can play on both sides of the puck and create offensively. But also shut down and play hard and frustrate the other team’s top players. That’s where I see myself... I see myself averaging low 20’s minutes every night. And being able to do that every year. That’s the goal I work towards... I’m a competitive guy... I play hard every night and every chance I get...”

“Jeff Petry, Shea Weber? Those guys are obviously really good players and have been for a long time. Just watching them in practice every day... Their habits in games. How they play and how hard they play every night. Something I learned a lot from... Just playing the whole season with them... They’re two really good veteran guys. Who’re good players who make the game a little bit easier out there I thought it was huge for my game playing with those guys. Just feedback I get from those guys and being able to work with them every day is special...”

“I just want to continue to grow my strengths... My shot. Working with the puck at the blue line. My skating. Keeping up with my time in the gym to get stronger. You see the playoffs right now and it’s a different level of battle in the corners and stuff like that. It’s a long season (NHL schedules). Want to keep working to keep up with the big boys along the walls and separating them from the puck in the corners. It’s harder to do as the season gets longer and the body is naturally getting weaker. So it’s just strength is key to improve... But I think a little more strength and being able to punish guys in the corner a little harder and separate them from the puck will help me take my game to another level.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I just got such a good feeling from the team... I just remember right away I felt the history of the team and the franchise and how well they treat the players... And just seeing pictures of past players around the locker room, that gives you a cool feeling. Being around that atmosphere, around the city and the fans and everything like that, it's pretty special...”

“When I got the opportunity to sign the three years, it was a no-brainer for me... That's the dream growing up: when you work, you want to play at the highest level in the world. And I think the Canadiens are probably the best franchise in the world and hockey market to play in... That's the dream and the goal to work towards. I didn't hesitate when I got the chance to sign for three years...”

“The style, the game that the coaches want to push on the team: the speed, the skating. It plays right into the strengths of my game... With my skating, puck movement, and getting into transitioning quickly... It was an easy transition for me into the group, even at the start... Right from the start, really, I just jumped in... And obviously, the coaches help you along a little ways. But it just felt pretty natural for me jumping into their system...”

“With all of them, they helped me along and they all taught me a little something different. They're all veteran guys and have been in the League for a long time. For me, it was my second full year in the NHL... I still have lots to learn and lots of growth to do... But being around those guys, with their experience and everything they've been through throughout their careers. It helped me a ton...”

“It’s just a matter of every year, you learn something different or tweak something different. To do just a couple degrees better. For me, it's just been a combination of consistency in the gym... Putting the time in and the strength stuff. And then also just getting on the ice and working on ice.”

“I'm going to look to tweak the diet a little bit... I always look for a little extra edge there... And then working on the hands off-ice. Even for 30 minutes a day. Just to start stickhandling with a golf ball and then just shoot a few extra pucks. Even before my workout to start... I'm not out there for two hours every day doing it extra... But I think 20-30 minutes of that extra each day will add up. Even if it makes you a 5% better player, that huge...”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The only time I’m seeing Kulak on the ice is when there’s the red light and he’s the first one to clear off the puck from the net.

Reactions: Hins77

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He has been scary bad

I'm so glad our GM signed him to a 3 year deal this past summer, of course I will be told how it doesn't matter and he wins most of his trades by the bury you head in the sand and pretend everything is just peachy. The guy started the year in the AHL and somehow gets a 3 year deal. Sometimes I wonder how people can be so bad at their job and still have one.

Reactions: BLONG7

Zusammenhalt

Dump & chase-not a fan of
Jan 18, 2007
Depot Division
I'm so glad our GM signed him to a 3 year deal this past summer, of course I will be told how it doesn't matter and he wins most of his trades by the bury you head in the sand and pretend everything is just peachy. The guy started the year in the AHL and somehow gets a 3 year deal. Sometimes I wonder how people can be so bad at their job and still have one.
Planning ahead "Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season"

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would love it if they sent him to Laval, with his 3 year contract I don't see him getting picked if he's been as bad as others say he has. He would help Laval a lot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He has been scary bad
One of the bigger disappointments this year. Perhaps 2nd only to Domi's first 2/3's of the season. Still, I give Domi some slack because all the minutes he played with shitty wingers, while Julien gave Danault Gallagher and Tatar.

Reactions: Tyson

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Kulak preparing fierce-competition on blue line

"I think I've to find another gear and level to win out in that competition. It’s going to be no different than having Chiarot come in and he’s taking up a lot of minutes. For me, it’s been like that for a number of different years. When I was back with the (Calgary) Flames (from 2014-18), there was guys I always competed with in training camp. And then it’s the regular season and everyone’s playing and we’re all good players. It’s just about finding consistency at the top level of your game day in and day out."

"I knew I wasn’t playing my best. Ad if I was, I don’t think anybody would be saying we need to look for an upgrade. So that’s kind of something I take upon myself. And I motivate myself with that, too, to work harder and get better."

"I watched Romanov at the (2019) world juniors. He looks like a heck of a defenceman."

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad