Player Discussion Brett Kulak: Top pairing candidate #6

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kulak preparing fierce-competition on blue line

"I think I've to find another gear and level to win out in that competition. It’s going to be no different than having Chiarot come in and he’s taking up a lot of minutes. For me, it’s been like that for a number of different years. When I was back with the (Calgary) Flames (from 2014-18), there was guys I always competed with in training camp. And then it’s the regular season and everyone’s playing and we’re all good players. It’s just about finding consistency at the top level of your game day in and day out."

"I knew I wasn’t playing my best. Ad if I was, I don’t think anybody would be saying we need to look for an upgrade. So that’s kind of something I take upon myself. And I motivate myself with that, too, to work harder and get better."

"I watched Romanov at the (2019) world juniors. He looks like a heck of a defenceman."

I think the titled of this thread needs to be changed to Brett Kulak: bottom pair/7th dman CANDIDATE.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-13_12-55-38.png

upload_2020-6-13_12-55-52.png

upload_2020-6-13_12-56-6.png

Reactions: mynamejeff420

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Kulak-PressConference(20/07/24)
“The reason I was out of training camp is I came into the city on the second of July and over the weekend was isolated in the hotel. My first test came back negative on Monday but I was kind of having some kind of COVID-like symptoms. So I figured it was best I just get my Monday test and then go back to the hotel and don’t join the guys at the rink, and sure enough that one ended up becoming positive. I did a confirmation test at a different lab at the Montreal General Hospital. The following day on the Tuesday and that one was positive as well. So, pretty much, I started my 14 day quarantine. I kind of had seven, eight days of symptoms that kind of lingered on a little bit. I got over it and I’m feeling back to normal.”
“You just don’t know how it'll affect you and how symptoms kind of develop and increase. Some guys shake it off in a day or two and sometimes it can linger on and it can get, obviously, really severe. So, had a little bit of fear of that. But, just as the days went on, I didn’t find too much progression. I think my first couple of days were the worst. Waking up I had just pressure in my head, a little kind of dull headache all day. I was trying, because I had my first negative test, I was just trying to do exercise in my hotel room, some body weight stuff. I just didn’t have the energy for it that I should've for kind of the difficulty of stuff I was doing. It was affecting my breathing a little bit, so I was pretty certain I had it. And when the test came positive, it wasn’t too much of a surprise to me. There was just a little bit of concern, hopefully the symptoms don’t progress to something too severe. But as it went on I was in talks with the team and the medical staff every day and they were super good with me.”
“Once you test positive and that, you’re pretty much shut down from any physical activity. I was in my room the whole time. So I did, fortunately at the start, get moved to a condo from my hotel, so I had a kitchen and they had the fridge pre-stocked with some food. So they looked after me pretty well that way, so it was nice just to cook some meals. And my little condo had a little balcony so I could get some fresh air and stuff like that. So that was pretty huge for me.”
“It was nice with all the guys, I kept in daily contact with all my teammates. So it was good like that. They filled me in on what was going on day-to-day in the training camp when I was missing out. When I got back, I just hadn’t lifted weights or, obviously, been on the ice participating in drills, moving the puck around. And you’ve got 29 other guys flying around the ice with you, so you just kind of gotta re-adjust to that. But honestly, I didn’t feel … I feel pretty much back to totally normal. I had a good skate this Friday and I think another good one tomorrow and there’s no reason why I don’t think I’ll feel 100 per cent. I think I’m pretty close to being back to my level of play where I’m going to be effective in the games and I feel good.”

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
No. Chiarot is much better, but Kulak could establish himself as a top-6 next year

Chiarot is in no way better than Kulak, not this year and not dating back to a few years ago.
upload_2020-8-1_1-16-4.png

upload_2020-8-1_1-16-12.png

I think the titled of this thread needs to be changed to Brett Kulak: bottom pair/7th dman CANDIDATE.

I don't know why people are so quick to cast Kulak as a 7D/AHL guy, considering he and Petry have made up one of the best pairings in the league over the last 2 years. At worst he's a top 4 defenseman, since he plays in the top 4 and puts up top pairing results.

Don't believe me? Since joining the Habs, Kulak ranks:
11th in xGF%
32nd in xGF/60
25th in xGA/60

34th in RAPM xGPM (essentially xGF% but adjusted for usage/competition/teammates/etc)
81st in RAPM xGF/60 (same as above but for xGF)
32nd in RAPM xGA/60 (same as above but for xGA)

36th in WAR

Kulak is a #3 caliber offensively and a #2 caliber defensively, and all put together he's put up results like a solid #2. He's absolutely not a bottom pair/7th dman candidate, nor does he need to prove himself as a top 6 defenseman. He's already proven through his play that he's a top 2/4 caliber guy.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Kulak-PressConference(20/08/03)

“I thought the ice kinda worn down as the game went on, but I thought we pick out our game as the game went on. Just be simple, move the puck forward and everyone using their legs and their speed, forcing them to make mistakes, get the puck in the net and traffic to the net.”

“We knew coming out to the game that they're gonna come to the net a little harder than Game 1. I thought we responded pretty well. Price made some huge saves, he kept us in the game for the most part. I thought we reacted and we had a chance to win that one for sure, just a couple of bounces goes their way. We pressed hard but we couldn't get it done tonight.”

“Price is the backbone of our team. We know he's our top player and he plays hard and gives us a chance to win every game. He's done that so far in Games 1 and 2. If we continue to play hard, I think we're going to come out on top.”

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Chiarot is in no way better than Kulak, not this year and not dating back to a few years ago.
View attachment 356699
View attachment 356700

I may have been being too harsh on him based on recent performances at the time.

With the speed of the game today, almost all dmen will make mistakes and even look bad during stretches. I'll continue to watch Kulak more closely. Would be interesting if he won the 2nd pair spot in next year and Romanov and Mete/or Juulsen were on the bottom pair.

The bad thing about that would be Mete or Juulsen sitting for long stretches. I'd rather have Romanov develop in the AHL for a year, unless he's much better than them.

I don't know why people are so quick to cast Kulak as a 7D/AHL guy, considering he and Petry have made up one of the best pairings in the league over the last 2 years. At worst he's a top 4 defenseman, since he plays in the top 4 and puts up top pairing results.

11th in xGF%
32nd in xGF/60
25th in xGA/60

34th in RAPM xGPM (essentially xGF% but adjusted for usage/competition/teammates/etc)

36th in WAR

Kulak is a #3 caliber offensively and a #2 caliber defensively, and all put together he's put up results like a solid #2. He's absolutely not a bottom pair/7th dman candidate, nor does he need to prove himself as a top 6 defenseman. He's already proven through his play that he's a top 2/4 caliber guy.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
View attachment 356699
View attachment 356700

11th in xGF%
32nd in xGF/60
25th in xGA/60

36th in WAR

When he is bad, he is bad. But way he played in play in should be given second pairing minutes. Also, takes pressure off to acquire LD.Between him and Romanov coming over

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
View attachment 356699
View attachment 356700

11th in xGF%
32nd in xGF/60
25th in xGA/60

36th in WAR

But he doesn't hit and he doesn't block shots as often as Chiarot! These two things are very important and put Chiarot ahead of Kulak!

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
We have last season's version of Kulak - the guy looking solid next to Petry and making few mistakes - back again.

That guy is good value in all ways as our #4D. The Pens would be improved if he was on their roster.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
We have last season's version of Kulak - the guy looking solid next to Petry and making few mistakes - back again.

That guy is good value in all ways as our #4D. The Pens would be improved if he was on their roster.

Pleasantly surprised but I'll say again that the Pens to me just haven't been that good. I still think Kulak deserves credit. Nice rushes though a bit risky at times. I think there's room to grow.

Top 4? I don't think so. Maybe in the long term as D can hit their strides later and later it seems but there are still warts. Great depth though. If he can play on your top 4 as good as he has in this series even half the time that's a nice piece to have. Hopefully he can continue to round out his game.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

When you have length and mobility, and play a solid two way game, you are a quality 2nd pairing dman which Kulak has been in this series and was in 2018-2019 season as well.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Why did players like Kulak suck so bad 4 months ago and now look very solid? This team traded some players at the deadline so they should be less equipped to compete but they look like a decent team now. What changed? They got healthy...is that it?

They were bad and I mean BAD.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Why did players like Kulak suck so bad 4 months ago and now look very solid? This team traded some players at the deadline so they should be less equipped to compete but they look like a decent team now. What changed? They got healthy...is that it?

They were bad and I mean BAD.
I think the team lost confidence in Price and just collapsed around him. With the break, the team once again believes they have the best the goalie in the world. When a team believes that, it’s a tough force to defeat.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Chiarot(PressConference:20/08/06):Kulak
“I think Brett’s been great for us. He’s a big guy, who skates really well and moves the puck. And when he’s doing all those things and he’s confident, he’s really effective for us. He’s been doing that quite a bit for us lately. He looks great for us.”

#Weber(PressConference:20/08/05):Kulak
“He’s been great. Given that situation, obviously he was sick and his inability to come and skate with us and work out with us… He was doing stuff on his own, but that’s not quite the same. To be in it, to stay in it mentally, it’s kudos to him. He’s done an excellent job for us so far. He was solid for us this year and he’s continued to be solid for us in this series”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad