Player Discussion Brett Kulak: Top pairing candidate #6

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Love the way Kulak has been playing so far. He was in a tough situation in Calgary..they are so deep at LD. Being a 3rd ld with the Flames doesn't necessarily mean you are a bottom pairing defenseman. So far so good, hopefully he can continue his good play.

Reactions: BLONG7

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
In over his head, but trying his best to get his head nearer the first-pairing-level waterline. Perhaps he's a really good pupil for Weber to have under his wing at training as well as in games?

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Got to give him credit, they have thrown him to the wolves, and so far he has been pretty decent. We will be a couple of more years rebuilding this defense that Bergevin has given us...we will move forward, but let's get rid of Benn/Schlemko duo...

Reactions: Walrus26

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He looks good so far but I would be shocked if he sticks at #1 left defenseman long term

By long term do you mean past the end of this season? Or do you think he won't make it to the end of this season as the #1.

imo, I'd still like to see if Mike Reilly can benefit from playing with Weber. Weber is more steady than Petry. And Kuluk has been more steady than Rielly. Better to have a more stable dman paired with a more high risk dman, than have two high risk dmen paired together.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Weber is obviously a hard guy to play with to go through so many quality D partners, that's a big body for the other guy to have to carry :sarcasm:

Reactions: Walrus26

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He’s a good player. Calgary didn’t waive him because he was bad; he was just behind Valimaki and Stone. He’s not a first-pairing D, but I can see him handling the job this season.
To be fair, it's not the first time he's been waived, they did so in the summer a few years back to when he was going into arbitration (to help their case that he wasn't that valuable). He's not a bad player, he won't move the needle for your team but when it comes to Ds, that's not a bad thing. I prefer him to Schlemko all things considered.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Reactions: Le Barron de HF

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
By long term do you mean past the end of this season? Or do you think he won't make it to the end of this season as the #1.

imo, I'd still like to see if Mike Reilly can benefit from playing with Weber. Weber is more steady than Petry. And Kuluk has been more steady than Rielly. Better to have a more stable dman paired with a more high risk dman, than have two high risk dmen paired together.
I don't think he makes the end of the season as the #1 personally

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
But I thought Weber sucks? How hard could it be to match up someone to him? :sarcasm:

Kulak has looked great, far less mistakes than Benn/Schlemko and to be honest Petry as of late.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think he makes the end of the season as the #1 personally

Last night wasn't a good game for Kulak in the parts I saw (but I didn't see the whole game).

Do you think Reilly will emerge as the best option? I'd like to see what he can do playing with a steady presence like Weber.

I also think it's time for one of Weber, Petry, and Juulsen to suck it up and play the left side. In particular I'd love to see Weber on the right side - and open for his one timer all night.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Last night wasn't a good game for Kulak in the parts I saw (but I didn't see the whole game).

Do you think Reilly will emerge as the best option? I'd like to see what he can do playing with a steady presence like Weber.

I also think it's time for one of Weber, Petry, and Juulsen to suck it up and play the left side. In particular I'd love to see Weber on the right side - and open for his one timer all night.
I think we'll see MB make a trade of futures for the best option but maybe that's just my pessimism talking.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I've really liked Kulak...he's sure handed with the puck in his zone, he retrieves it efficiently and moves it efficiently.

No hesitation like Benn or Schlemko...no weak first pass like Benn.

He's obviously not a top pairing guy, but he's good for now because he's brought the stability on that side that CJ has been looking for.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

And I thought Kulak had a pretty good game, defensively he was a rock, and physical, didn't create that much offensively though...

But all of them are RD, you can't change your instincts just like that, especially in Weber's case. Juulsen on the 3rd pair is perfectly fine this season, he turned 21 only a couple months ago...

Reactions: Acadien86

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I've been very pleasantly surprised so far. He's got decent size, mobility and pretty much everything else at a decent level. He's not the spectacular type or anything remotely close to it but playing with Weber you do want a guy that can keep it simple over 25+ minutes every night. Not saying he's the long term solution or anything but he can keep being a stopgap for now in my book. He's still only 24 so some upward mobility is still possible.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think we'll see MB make a trade of futures for the best option but maybe that's just my pessimism talking.

We'll my question was, assuming there is no trade, what is your opinion...

But, although I'm no Bergevin supporter, he doesn't like to trade 1sts. I could see him moving the 2nd we got in the Pacioretty deal. And, I liked what he did when he got Petry and Vanek. I'm convinced in both cases he only made the deals because their value was low compared to what they bring AND he only planned to give up the 2nd because he wanted to resign them. In Vanek's case it just wasn't a fit so, and had in fact slowed down, so Bergevin wasn't going to try to outbid Minnesota.

Getting Petry, Vanek, and Radulov were great ways to add high quality players cheap. It's too bad he botched the Radulov negotiations, and Vanek both wanted to go home and still had a market value way above his diminished abilities at the time. But I still would have liked to have had Vanek back at a reasonable salary, but under those circumstances it wasn't happening. Without him I don't think me make it to the conference finals. And, without Price's injury, who knows what would have happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad