Player Discussion Brett Howden

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
People are going out of their way writing novels to politely say "Jesus we have some real stupid assholes on this board who don't get hockey, prospect development or logic." Good back and forth discussions too.

You guys are too nice and my god I'm a prick...meh...what can ya do?

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Howden started slow tonight (almost nonexistent), but finished this game on a real high note. On his game winning goal, he won a tough faceoff to set that whole sequence up. Then he made a couple of nice defensive plays in the final minutes with Winnipeg pushing on the PP and extra man. I don't necessarily think he earned a 3rd line C spot in preseason, but that decision certainly paid off in the end for Quinn tonight. I hope we see more of the end-game Howden on a consistent basis.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I like Howden and his intelligence, he has good hockey sense. Faceoffs are a huge plus if he can contribute consistently there... But he's just too damn slow. He's really a 4th line center, if that.

Reactions: MetalJaws

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I like Howden and his intelligence, he has good hockey sense. Faceoffs are a huge plus if he can contribute consistently there... But he's just too damn slow. He's really a 4th line center, if that.

like I said when they acquired Howden, he will be out of the league in 3 years just like his brother who was a former 1st round pick that had the same issues. i would have asked for Cedric Paquette or someone more useful

Reactions: MetalJaws

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I like Brett howden. I like his game a lot. He's not going to wow you with dangles and dekes but he's got talent and all the tools to be a strong 3c. I don't get the hate he's getting...as if putting him down will somehow make other prospects better?

He's had his struggles but I really do see all the tools for a strong hockey player. Size, speed, willingness to play dirty, some good hands (not great but he's got good hands) etc. He kinda reminds me of dominic Moore in some ways.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I like Brett howden. I like his game a lot. He's not going to wow you with dangles and dekes but he's got talent and all the tools to be a strong 3c. I don't get the hate he's getting...as if putting him down will somehow make other prospects better?

He's had his struggles but I really do see all the tools for a strong hockey player. Size, speed, willingness to play dirty, some good hands (not great but he's got good hands) etc. He kinda reminds me of dominic Moore in some ways.

and ive been banging this drum over and over.

these young kids all have talent. its when we slot them in to spots over their pay grade that we run int trouble. put them in a role where they can maximize their skill set and contribute allowing confidence to build and then you will have a complete player with a role to play for the team.

howden at the 3C. sign me up. all day long.

howden at the 2C with more offensive production mins, better players and tougher matchups. not so much.

its about proper usage. its always about that.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

I think Howden does have a lot of tools and a skillset to work with but you are being unbelievably generous with "he's had his struggles". He is literally not an NHL player defensively right now (probably not offensively either but I can live with that game being developing), and even just from watching him I haven't seen such a talented player (he is definitely talented, fwiw) so uninvolved and unimpactful on the ice as Howden.

I really want to like him and really want him to succeed, cause like you said he's like a higher potential Dominic Moore. But he has legit stunk up the ice since November of 2018 and I don't think we are doing him any good by letting him get killed on the ice every night.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like Brett howden. I like his game a lot. He's not going to wow you with dangles and dekes but he's got talent and all the tools to be a strong 3c.
I agree. The kid can be a quality 3rd line center and today is miscast as a second line center. But that is today. The reality is that most people scream "Play the kids!". But what they really mean is "Play the kids that I want!".

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The kids need to play more.

They haven't earned it! Quinn is all about accountability!

Then why is Howden playing?

You said to play the kids!

What about the other kids?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The kids need to play more.

Then why is Howden playing?

You said to play the kids!

What about the other kids?

It's called inconsistency

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I agree. The kid can be a quality 3rd line center and today is miscast as a second line center. But that is today. The reality is that most people scream "Play the kids!". But what they really mean is "Play the kids that I want!".
I want Howden to play. It's not about only playing the kids I like. I feel that too much is being asked of Howden. The kids should be placed in positions where they can succeed, when possible. I feel like that hasn't been the case with Howden since the start of last year.

Reactions: Raspewtin

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I want Howden to play. It's not about only playing the kids I like. I feel that too much is being asked of Howden. The kids should be placed in positions where they can succeed, when possible. I feel like that hasn't been the case with Howden since the start of last year.
That could well be. Which is where I struggle with the decisions regarding Andersson. Which again brings me back to the one area, where I am a bit baffled by Quinn.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyr2k2
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
That could well be. Which is where I struggle with the decisions regarding Andersson. Which again brings me back to the one area, where I a a bit baffled by Quinn.
I'm not the Quinn hater that some (most?) on this board are. But I truly don't get what he's doing vis-a-vis the 2C situation. Neither Strome (who has been better of late) not Howden have grabbed it. Give Andersson a chance.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the reality of the 2C is this.

there is no one who has been better than strome and granted, he hasn't been great, but hes been adequate and at this point, that's enough.

there is no one who shows the potential right now at the 2C over than strome. strome has had productive shifts and games showing he can play PP and 5v5 and produce chances while playing good solid defense and leading the team in f/o %. hes not ideal, but no one has taken that spot from him. sadly.

the howden experiment is over. it failed. not howdens fault. hes not a 2C in this league today.

until we give andersson a shot- another reach imo, or chytil returns and makes that spot his biotch, its #16's spot. hes got an enormous opportunity to earn another deal with this organization if he can play well.

hes motivated, hes got experience and hes done fairly well so far. hes not perfect, but hes the guy.

hes been somewhat snake bit because his 2 line mates can't hitch ocean from the pier right now but hopefully playing with panarin changes all things.

he continues to be the logical guy for that job and in this case, i 100% agree with quinns decision to put him back there.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I liked what I saw from Howden last year. I like how he started the year (understandably hitting the proverbial wall midway through) and how he came back after the injury. To me there was no argument that he was better / more ready than Andersson.

Not so this year. Even if you remove how he did when slotted into 2C role this year, I am still totally unimpressed with his play as 3C or 4C. Don't know if you decided to follow the recent trend of losing weight to gain more speed and agility but unfortunately he looks to play smaller but not faster (maybe even slower) than last year.

Hoping that it's only a small sample of size of 7 games.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Why is giving Andersson a shot a reach?

Similar to Howden he hasn't shown anything to indicate he's ready / capable to play and be productive as 2C.

Or just giving him a shot for the sake of giving him a shot? Just please don't use "well, Howden got a shot - why not Lias?"

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Similar to Howden he hasn't shown anything to indicate he's ready / capable to play and be productive as 2C.

Or just giving him a shot for the sake of giving him a shot? Just please don't use "well, Howden got a shot - why not Lias?"
To me, from the start of camp to the last game, Andersson has been more involved and has been better than both Strome and Howden. I understand the desire to view them both at that slot, but if feels like nothing that Andersson has done has diminished that he needs to be playing more. And frankly I see no reason as to not to try him there.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Why is giving Andersson a shot a reach?

really ?

andersson hasnt had a chance to show his stuff because hes been gorillas glued to the 4th line.

i get that.

but he hasnt shown me anything- since hes been here really, to make me believe hes the guy for that 2C spot.

i would like to see him there for 5 games if strome 2.o fails

would love to be proven wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad