Brett Connolly

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Now we can finally trade #14. We have a younger, better sniper in our lineup. Cedric Paquette has 9 goals. Connolly has 8. 9>8, hence Paquette > Connolly. Because logic.
It's also quite staggering how our grinder who was picked 101st overall has almost 2x better points and goals scored per game while playing a very physical and defensive role than our all-star sniper picked 6th overall.

I honestly don't even know what can we get for this guy by trading. I don't support the idea of trading him for a late round pick just to trade him, but we really have to move him. I don't mind having him score a good 15 goals on the 4th line during the regular season, but the fact is that regular season doesn't mean anything, playoffs are where it's at. And considering how we are already somewhat weak defensively I really doubt we need a soft sniper who avoids contact and playing defense like a plague on our 4th line. I'd much rather have our 4th line just grind it out, tire their top players out while letting our top guys get some rest without conceding a goal.

That's why I'd much rather package him with a pick or some prospect for a rental defenseman or something. He is also getting a new contract this offseason and considering how he's already 22 he might actually want some "real" money.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get Hosed for posting this, but I can't help but to do it. I was originally planning to bring this up closer to the deadline, but had some time now so figured why not.

I think that's a little harsh. Connolly does seem to avoid contact, but his defense, I think, is better than we could have hoped. That's not to say we shouldn't move him. I still think we should, if we get the opportunity. Connolly's skillset remains the skillset of a scorer, and he's not fitting in with our other scorers. He's fitting in on our fourth line where it feels like we can replace him with just about any plug. I don't even like sitting Brown in favor of Connolly because Brown is so much more suited to a fourth line energy role.

All that said, Connolly's getting more likable to me because he seems like he's trying to do whatever he can to fit in. His tackle on Quincy (?) last game was a nice show of support to Brown, and I think things like that (standing up for teammates) brings a team closer together. It's a trademark of Cooper teams too. We've seen Connolly take a beating when it felt like someone had to stand up, I think against Buffalo.

But the problem remains that he's a scorer. Right now he's a scorer playing on the 4th line, but pretty soon he's just going to evolve into a fourth liner. Maybe he'll embrace that and find a second career, like Dan Cleary, but I'd still rather give him a chance to reach his potential elsewhere.

Aside from that brief moment, he was invisible again last night.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Meh - it's not like we HAVE to move him. Hell, having him on the fourth line gives us some pretty sick depth. If we're not going to get something that improves our team, I'd rather have him in the line up than some low reward project player/mid-late round pick.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Now we can finally trade #14. We have a younger, better sniper in our lineup. Cedric Paquette has 9 goals. Connolly has 8. 9>8, hence Paquette > Connolly. Because logic.
It's also quite staggering how our grinder who was picked 101st overall has almost 2x better points and goals scored per game while playing a very physical and defensive role than our all-star sniper picked 6th overall.

I honestly don't even know what can we get for this guy by trading. I don't support the idea of trading him for a late round pick just to trade him, but we really have to move him. I don't mind having him score a good 15 goals on the 4th line during the regular season, but the fact is that regular season doesn't mean anything, playoffs are where it's at. And considering how we are already somewhat weak defensively I really doubt we need a soft sniper who avoids contact and playing defense like a plague on our 4th line. I'd much rather have our 4th line just grind it out, tire their top players out while letting our top guys get some rest without conceding a goal.

That's why I'd much rather package him with a pick or some prospect for a rental defenseman or something. He is also getting a new contract this offseason and considering how he's already 22 he might actually want some "real" money.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get Hosed for posting this, but I can't help but to do it. I was originally planning to bring this up closer to the deadline, but had some time now so figured why not.

[MOD]

Paquette has been a better scorer then I thought, he gets the garbage goals as expected but showed some skill will a nice shot also. I will not respond to your joke assessment of Connolly which is just plain wrong. There's no reason though why we can't have both, they are both streaky scorers but Paquette much more, we could use the offense from all 4 lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

JS91

May 14, 2014
Yeah, I'm not saying that we need to trade him right now or this season at all, it would just be the best solution for both parties. I think it's pretty obvious that Connolly will never become anything else in our team than a bottom 6 goalscorer which is a shame because he clearly has potential to be a solid top 6 sniper on a team that needs him.

At the same time we have so far this season had only 1 good shutdown line in KFC and if we ever want to make it far in the playoffs we need to have the ability to shut down the enemy team. That's why I'd much rather have 3 gritty and defensive guys grinding it out on our 4th line. The thing is that we only have 1 of those guys on our 4th line at the moment and we don't have any more in the system which is why it would probably be the smartest to wait 'till the offseason to trade him.

The other thing I don't like is the fact that he is a former 6th overall pick and his value currently is probably around the level of a 4th or a 5th rounder. That is another reason why I don't like trading him. I just wish he was more physical and worked on his defensive game. If he did that I wouldn't have any problems with having him on our team. But currently all he brings to the team is a shot. He isn't physical, plays below average defense and has 1 assist since 2012. And that is annoying as hell for someone who has sat watching him for 4 years waiting for him to turn it around and become the player we expected him to be. But oh well, what is 1 more year after waiting 4 years already. Who knows, maybe he actually improves for once this next offseason.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, I'm not saying that we need to trade him right now or this season at all, it would just be the best solution for both parties. I think it's pretty obvious that Connolly will never become anything else in our team than a bottom 6 goalscorer which is a shame because he clearly has potential to be a solid top 6 sniper on a team that needs him.

At the same time we have so far this season had only 1 good shutdown line in KFC and if we ever want to make it far in the playoffs we need to have the ability to shut down the enemy team. That's why I'd much rather have 3 gritty and defensive guys grinding it out on our 4th line. The thing is that we only have 1 of those guys on our 4th line at the moment and we don't have any more in the system which is why it would probably be the smartest to wait 'till the offseason to trade him.

The other thing I don't like is the fact that he is a former 6th overall pick and his value currently is probably around the level of a 4th or a 5th rounder. That is another reason why I don't like trading him. I just wish he was more physical and worked on his defensive game. If he did that I wouldn't have any problems with having him on our team. But currently all he brings to the team is a shot. He isn't physical, plays below average defense and has 1 assist since 2012. And that is annoying as hell for someone who has sat watching him for 4 years waiting for him to turn it around and become the player we expected him to be. But oh well, what is 1 more year after waiting 4 years already. Who knows, maybe he actually improves for once this next offseason.

I think he's pretty average defensively. But, I mean, maybe I'm missing something but here's the situation as I see it: He's an RFA this summer and we're going to have at least a few forwards vying for his job in September. We won't be able to put Namestnikov in the minors without passing him through waivers. What if Adam Erne presses for an NHL job? Tanner Richard? A number of the guys in Syracuse could very realistically be NHL-ready. It's not a lock that any of these guys will beat Connolly out of his job next year, but it's not unrealistic either. And I don't think we want another Richard Panik situation where we lose a guy for nothing because we can't put him in the minors. I think the only question is whether Connolly is dealt at the deadline or at the draft.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I gotta give Connolly a lot of props for last night. He is in no way a guy who can or should he dropping the gloves, and he went over immediately to Quincey to stick up for Brown. I love that, especially since it's been Brown who has come to the defense of others a few times this year. Like DFC said, that's a Coop team. He was also there in that Buffalo game that got out of hand and came right to the aid of Stammer and threw the first punch on Strachan.

That will earn you big points from your teammates and that'll make a stronger group going forward.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
I think it is looking good that we have legitimate scoring threats with all 4 lines. It was nice to see Cedric get that hat trick because he has played hard for and had not scored in so long. Brett is playing hard and his night will come just like Cedric.
I am over the fact that team used a first round pick on Brett and that he really is not that level of player. He is still very good for us and helps us wherever we plug him in at a very low price.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Always said would a bret connolly for adam larsson trade make sense ? I think both players need a change new teams.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Always said would a bret connolly for adam larsson trade make sense ? I think both players need a change new teams.

Too late. Larsson is really spectacular since Deboer's gone... And not trusting Larsson was one of the main reason Lamoriello fired Deboer. They let him play without the fear to get benched now and he's getting better every day. Larsson is currently playing like a top pairing dman, they're not going to trade him anytime soon.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we could get a vet Dman who can play something close to Garrison's level (maybe another rescue-from-a-sinking-franchise situation?), I'd be happy. Someone who's been around the block but can still skate.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Too late. Larsson is really spectacular since Deboer's gone... And not trusting Larsson was one of the main reason Lamoriello fired Deboer. They let him play without the fear to get benched now and he's getting better every day. Larsson is currently playing like a top pairing dman, they're not going to trade him anytime soon.

What if we offered vladdy and connolly ? Devils are pretty stacked on defense ?

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

I don't think people know who Vladdy is. I put him in an Oshie trade proposal with a couple picks as an offseason thing and was scoffed at. Maybe I've got the homer-high thing going on for him, but I have to think he'll pan out better than whatever they'll have at 2C by the time he's ready for real minutes.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

True but I think Larsson is on that "untouchable" list. As for the other dmen I don't see Merrill as a real upgrade over Barberio, Gelinas' offensive upside is amazing but he's not ready yet defensively, forget Zidlicky he would make the PP better but man is he a defensive liability. The perfect fit would be Andy Greene IMO, even if he's not having a career year, he's the epitome of reliability, plays in all situations, can manage 1st pairing minutes without a doubt, he's one of the most underrated player in the nhl IMO. The asking price would be high though, NJ sees in him a legit top pairing dman.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
True but I think Larsson is on that "untouchable" list. As for the other dmen I don't see Merrill as a real upgrade over Barberio, Gelinas' offensive upside is amazing but he's not ready yet defensively, forget Zidlicky he would make the PP better but man is he a defensive liability. The perfect fit would be Andy Greene IMO, even if he's not having a career year, he's the epitome of reliability, plays in all situations, can manage 1st pairing minutes without a doubt, he's one of the most underrated player in the nhl IMO. The asking price would be high though, NJ sees in him a legit top pairing dman.

He's also signed F O R E V E R

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I think that would be be good but we could have to add a pick or D-prospect with Vlad+Connolly + Gudas?

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
If we could get a vet Dman who can play something close to Garrison's level (maybe another rescue-from-a-sinking-franchise situation?), I'd be happy. Someone who's been around the block but can still skate.

I think that's the very best we can hope for if we put Connolly in a package. It doesn't seem that he's viewed as a very good prospect anymore.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
I think that's the very best we can hope for if we put Connolly in a package. It doesn't seem that he's viewed as a very good prospect anymore.

I don't think he has for awhile. I really don't see a rush to move him anymore unless it's in a pretty big trade for a 2nd pairing Dman. Despres and Byfuglien would be at the top of my list.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
If you are thinking of a package based on Vladdy, Connolly, AND Gudas, you had better be looking for a top 6/4 player. If you are going to offer that package for a rental, teams would be almost as stupid as us to offer it if they did not knock down SFY door to get in on that one.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I really don't think we should be looking at blockbuster-type deals. We're a very good team with a few big flaws. But I think we're better off trying to tweak ourselves into a contender than trying to do anything that would shake up the roster. Barring some kind of major steal, there's no way I'd consider moving Gudas, as part of a package or otherwise.

I'd move Connolly, however, if only to save us some headaches at training camp.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Brett had a great game yesterday! I'm a little surprised he only had around 10 minutes of ice time I thought he was everywhere. His 2 assists and +2 aside I really like how he's playing the body more and doesn't shy away from backchecking and helping your D out anymore.

Yzerman likes his forwards fast with a good shot but he also wants them to play a solid two-way game. If he keeps this up I don't see why he shouldn't have a future on this team (kind of like an all-rounder like Killorn who can be slotted in on all four lines as needed).

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Brett has embraced the role he has been given. It's a simple role and he's doing OK at it.

Don't know if he'll get the chance to be anything more than what he is now while in a Lightning sweater. He's simply not good enough to crack the top 6 on this team. Hockey smarts just aren't there. With the right center and winger, he could on another team though. He could work with TJ and Drej, but that would require moving Kucherov.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
Brett has embraced the role he has been given. It's a simple role and he's doing OK at it.

Don't know if he'll get the chance to be anything more than what he is now while in a Lightning sweater. He's simply not good enough to crack the top 6 on this team. Hockey smarts just aren't there. With the right center and winger, he could on another team though. He could work with TJ and Drej, but that would require moving Kucherov.

Imagine this RW lineup:
Kucherov
Connolly
Callahan
Brown

That's pretty good depth, IMO, if Brett can feed off Johnson.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

He could play in the top 6, he just can't play with Stamkos. Before he was hurt he played with Palat - Johnson for a couple of games and they looked ok, obviously Kucherov is better on that line though. Would like to see Drouin and Filpulla swap with Paquette on the 4th with Connolly on the 3rd, I think Filpulla could be a good center for him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Brett had a great game yesterday! I'm a little surprised he only had around 10 minutes of ice time I thought he was everywhere. His 2 assists and +2 aside I really like how he's playing the body more and doesn't shy away from backchecking and helping your D out anymore.

Yzerman likes his forwards fast with a good shot but he also wants them to play a solid two-way game. If he keeps this up I don't see why he shouldn't have a future on this team (kind of like an all-rounder like Killorn who can be slotted in on all four lines as needed).

Yesterday was probably Brett's most impressive performance yet, at least to me, and that's because of the opponent. I see Brett as a guy who's a little too easy to knock off the puck, especially for his size, but yesterday we played a big, heavy team who were playing 1997-style clutch and grab and Brett found a way to thrive.

As much as I have, and still do, wanted to move Connolly elsewhere, he's really grown on me as a player. I like that he gets involved in the nastier parts of the game even though it's obviously not his strong suit. I like that he seems to be a team-first guy. But I can't get past the fact that we're holding him back. The problem is no longer him, it's us. I'm probably just not cut-throat enough to be a GM, but when I think about the career Connolly could have in a city like Buffalo, where he'd be ahead of the curve on the rebuild, compared to the career it looks like he will have in TB, it makes me feel for the guy. We're basically turning him into Dan Cleary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad